HDTVs

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone have a TV that they keep outside? I was going to buy a cheap 40" LCD TV and mount it under my covered patio. It isn't enclosed, but it is safe from direct rain/sleet/snow/hail/etc. Any suggestions?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Humidity might fuck up the thing, depending where youre living. Just a guess though. I would be wary about leaving it out in the elements regardless if its covered or not. But then again if you get a year or two use out of a $250 40" what the fuck, right?

Zitar

Silver Knight of the Realm
Living in the Phoenix area, I have several friends that keep TVs on their patios without a problem. Of course you only have to deal with massive amounts of dust here.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Humidity might fuck up the thing, depending where youre living. Just a guess though. I would be wary about leaving it out in the elements regardless if its covered or not. But then again if you get a year or two use out of a $250 40" what the fuck, right?
That was exactly what I was thinking. I also considered getting a cover for it when we're not using it, kind of like a grill cover. I don't know how much that would help but I don't need a fancy ass TV or anything. Just something to use while we're outside.

Oldbased

> Than U
Sooo I have a 37" Vizio I bought in late 2007 for like $850, anyways it still works perfectly cept a little burn on the top corners. I been looking at the smart Vizio for like 1-2 years now that weigh 20ish lbs and use around 40-60 watts. Mine weighs around 70 and uses 225 watts.

I'm still torn though on buying a new one while my old one keeps working. But the power savings would save me money and I don't really think the 39" will get any cheaper than $350 at this point. Plus the smart tv part would be nice so I don't have to go through my bluray for all my streaming stuff.

Aside from the weight on wall/power savings, how much different in picture quality are these new smart vizios compared to my 8 year old one( which to me looks awesome )?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It's got some ghosting though if you're someone that notices those things. Also, the sound is loud, but I don't know I'd call it good. 1-10 is basically the same volume level, it can't be very quiet.

Oldbased

> Than U
40 Vizio E400i-B2 1080p Smart LED HDTV $397.99 + $150 Gift Card + Free Shipping Dell.com 07-14-2014 - Slickdeals.net

$400, comes with a Dell $150 gift card, pick up a free tablet or something to go with it
Do you know how long that deal is good for? The Vizio I got now came from Dell and I've been impressed as hell with them but I fear I may need a new monitor this week instead.
Funny story about Dell. I ordered it when I lived in Greenbriar TN for a few years which was about 20 miles from the Dell shipping facility. They shipped it DHL so I figured a dude was just going to drive it 20 miles right? Nope it went from Nashville to Chicago or some place near it, back down to memphis, back to nashville then got delivered to me 2 days after it shipped. So awesome that was.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I wish there were more non-smart TV options. I hate the thought of having to spend 100+$ on horrible apps that I'll never use.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Blowout on lowend(but still nice) Plasmas.

51" Samsung 720p for $380 -Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons, Promo Codes & Discounts

51" LG 720p for $450 + $200 Dell gift card(great deal if you need a Tablet or PC Monitor or something to spend the extra $200 on) -LG 50 Inch plasma TV 50PB560B HDTV $449 + $200 promo egift card @ dell + FS - Slickdeals.net

Great picture quality on both TVs, would be perfect as a TV in the bedroom or something that you only watch broadcast TV on, as that doesn't go over 720p anyways.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Awww fux I want a new TV so bad. >_<

I don't think I have 1080p sources anyway, so 720 is just fine.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Is it dumb to spend $1,500 on a TV now days? I have a 7 year old 37" Samsung that has started to go out. I was looking at replacements and I am thinking a 65" is about the largest I can have in the room. 70" is probably too large for the viewing distance in our living room.

I went to Microcenter today to check some out in person and I liked how the LG TVs looked. I found a larger version online with free delivery.

LG 65" 65LB6300

From what I can tell, no real reason to go over 120 Hz which is what causes the next price jump. I think 3D is just a waste for my needs right now.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is it dumb to spend $1,500 on a TV now days? I have a 7 year old 37" Samsung that has started to go out. I was looking at replacements and I am thinking a 65" is about the largest I can have in the room. 70" is probably too large for the viewing distance in our living room.

I went to Microcenter today to check some out in person and I liked how the LG TVs looked. I found a larger version online with free delivery.

LG 65" 65LB6300

From what I can tell, no real reason to go over 120 Hz which is what causes the next price jump. I think 3D is just a waste for my needs right now.
To my mind once you're reasonably into the mid-range the incremental improvements in PQ are too costly so size is the only thing worth paying extra for. Having ARC and CEC along with a nice number of HDMI ports is probably worth it for most people on the board.

Column_sl

shitlord
1500 should get you the best non 4k TV out there right now, if it doesn't then wait.

I have the reference model Samsung LED 65 inches, and I paid 1300 with shipping.

I would honestly wait till christmas, even tho it's almost a half a year out.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there something with 120hz I just am missing? My tv has it as an option and I try it with nearly every game/movie I put on there, and I can't think of a single time it's looked better than 60hz. It just makes everything look artificial.