Health Problems

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I stopped going to the doctors. Yeah I am gonna die. Might be next week might be 15 years from now, but fuck trying to meet metrics so often that my only goal is to help make doctors kids get a new car.

When you are only trying to live longer to see the next doc appointment, are you really living?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I stopped going to the doctor and my blood sugar was up around 330

I don't know who I was buying a car for when I went back but at least my life is back on track

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Yeah, G would be so thirsty...it was such a delicate balance to maintain...how are your electrolytes? What meds for the CHF are you taking?
Mostly "ok". Kidney is low, carbon monoxide is low or was this last time. This is the first year since 2015 I've had health coverage. Mostly same since the start on medications Metoprolol 200mg/day, potassium chloride 30meq/day, warfarin 10mg/day, lasix 80mg/day,hydrocodone for pain meds and recently they added metformin 500mg/day which I have yet to take.
In November I had high glucose for the first time in my life, went higher in dec and peaked in January. 5.6, 6.6,8.0, 8.7 and last week 7.2 on A1c after I had spent 40ish days exercising and eating "healthy". The problem is all the doctors think I am taking it and it is what helped get my a1c down to 7.2. My GP also suspects I have a rarer form of diabetes that is causing the kidney/thirst but said it is something I'll have to come in for later this month and be tested throughout the day with nothing to drink. The high glucose starting in November was a shocker because it came after 44 years of normal glucose levels, especially being tested every few weeks for the past 2 years and at a time where I was already eating healthier than anytime in 30 years and exercising.

Sure those medications will change wildly now that I am insured and can get proper testing done. I was basically on life support the past year when it came to doctors and tests. Now they want to poke and prod me nonstop.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Sooo...

I just started my Short Term disability today so I guess I can start shit posting about this.

I was diagnosed with a liver disorder a few months back and I'm going out for surgery begining of April.

I took the rest of this month off because of all the stress at work has been interfering with my build up to surgery.

This problem apparently has been effecting my weight my entire life and I'm excited to start dropping all this extra weight after I get some convient bariatric surgery done as well.

• 1Solidarity

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Mostly "ok". Kidney is low, carbon monoxide is low or was this last time. This is the first year since 2015 I've had health coverage. Mostly same since the start on medications Metoprolol 200mg/day, potassium chloride 30meq/day, warfarin 10mg/day, lasix 80mg/day,hydrocodone for pain meds and recently they added metformin 500mg/day which I have yet to take.
In November I had high glucose for the first time in my life, went higher in dec and peaked in January. 5.6, 6.6,8.0, 8.7 and last week 7.2 on A1c after I had spent 40ish days exercising and eating "healthy". The problem is all the doctors think I am taking it and it is what helped get my a1c down to 7.2. My GP also suspects I have a rarer form of diabetes that is causing the kidney/thirst but said it is something I'll have to come in for later this month and be tested throughout the day with nothing to drink. The high glucose starting in November was a shocker because it came after 44 years of normal glucose levels, especially being tested every few weeks for the past 2 years and at a time where I was already eating healthier than anytime in 30 years and exercising.

Sure those medications will change wildly now that I am insured and can get proper testing done. I was basically on life support the past year when it came to doctors and tests. Now they want to poke and prod me nonstop.
Hope your CHF isn't worsening...I mean, it is going to progress...that is what the HF part of the equation is :( ...In re your fluid retention, - have they tried you on a different diuretic - even another loop diuretic like torsemide or a potassium sparing one like spironolactone?

Oldbased

> Than U
Hope your CHF isn't worsening...I mean, it is going to progress...that is what the HF part of the equation is :( ...In re your fluid retention, - have they tried you on a different diuretic - even another loop diuretic like torsemide or a potassium sparing one like spironolactone?
Some aspects have worsened some have not not. Last year I constantly had knee dropping chest pains it felt like someone tazed me and spikes of pain would shoot out all across my upper body. So far this year that hasn't happened at all. There was 3 weeks last year where everyday I woke up I was completely 100% deaf. I couldn't hear myself clapping and that hearing would come back over the course of an hour or two. Last fall I could feel and hear the beating of my heart at times and my head felt like it was going to launch off from pressure but my BP was 140-160s over 90-110s. Now it is back to 120/80ish. The nodules I had in my lungs in 2015 when I had all the embolisms were reduced last year and I assume gone when I had the xray recently. No mention was made and the Xray was specific for them. Doctor wasn't clear if they were gone or just no change but they said since it wasn't mentioned everything is good.

They tried a few different ones after the hospital event in 2015 I can't remember which ones but I am not sure if it was them or just recovering from the clots and heart damage I suffered from the clots but I was moved back to lasix pretty quick. I am not sure what share of odd side effects I've had was on the lasix but overall day to day I can't tell I take them other than going to the bathroom a few times more. My brother was on water pills before he died and I never had the side effects he had where he claimed he was off balance enough to fall over or felt like I was swimming.

Oldbased Oldbased , do you have heart failure? Any particular reason for the fluid restriction?
Yes right side heart/cor pulmonale. Just over 2 years ago I noticed one day my right leg was about twice the size of my left leg from the hip down. I had clots in the leg 2 years prior. This time they diagnosed me with thrombosis in the leg and due to the 13 embolisms in my lungs heart ultrasound and mris determined I was in heart failure. Left side is excellent, right side is all fucked up. Water buildup in lungs, around heart, pooling daily in leg. If I talk a few minutes without clearing throat I sound like Aquaman.
VERY lucky to have survived the clots initially. I remember feeling like shit weeks leading up to it and weak at times. The day I went to the hospital my blood oxygen saturation was 92 if I didn't move and would drop down to low 80s if I did so much as raised my hand. They called in my family and stuff because it was assumed I wouldn't survive the night. So far since then and blood thinning I've only had a few clot events. Mostly contained in the leg.
On the final day before leaving the hospital doctors and nurses rushed into the room and asked me what I just did. I said nothing. My heart went from 70 bpm to >160 for 5 seconds. That is when they found out about the taching and stuck me on metoprolol which has increased over time from 50mg a day to 200.

Last year I didn't get much testing done other than monthly chem12 and inr testing done monthly. This year I took off since Xmas to work on diet, exercise, testing and doctors since many of them are all over the state. I think I've stabilized myself enough to return to work next month or that is my hope.

Why aren't you taking the metformin?

7.2 isn't even excessively high but in the prediabetic range
What happened initially was I was in denial. I knew I had been drinking lots of sweet tea and the more I drank the thirstier I became, so when I was told holy shit you are suddenly prediabetic then diabetic shortly afterwards when I hit the 8.7 I felt I could fix it myself by just cutting sugars completely. That somewhat worked actually and I lost 10-15 average glucose every 10 days from 200-220s down to 180s then 160s then 140s then 120s last week on daily average. During that time metforim was tossed into my medicine pool but quick research showed 2.5 increased heart attack/stroke to people in CHF. So I didn't take it. When brought up to my cardio doctor( who isn't one who prescribed it ) he yelled at me and said the risks of not taking it far outweigh the risks of taking it and that is was the most common drug there was for diabetics. Since then 2 weeks ago I have actually planned to start adding it with evening meal but I keep forgetting. For whatever reason something keeps telling me not to do it.

I feel something is going on with me they haven't found yet. I go through months of odd symptoms that just go away as quickly as they came only to have something else go on for months at a time.
Aside from the many "conditions" listed on my medical record currently something is very wrong with my body. Could be cancer or could be related to the almost 3 decades of smoking up to 3 packs a day. Could be that from the age of like 8-42 I drank about 6 glasses of water total. Was always teas,milks, sodas,orange juice whatever never water. Could be I would go days without sleeping every week for decades at a time. Very common for me to stay up from Friday morning until Sunday night to game, go fishing, watch tv shows whatever. Weekend was party time!. Add in I spent from 13-44 roofing/building houses/remodeling to the other things, I was VERY rough on my body. The only thing I didn't do was drink( other than a 3 year period in college ) or fucked up drugs.

I've said it before here. When it comes to my health, I deserve pretty much everything I've got. It is much less effective to fix mistakes after the fact.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Dawg, we have many non compliant diabetics on our floor and trust me, you do not want to go that route. Amputation, dialysis, blindness, neuropathy. Frankly, given your history, I won't be shocked that you will die of some stroke or heart attack. :\ I am assuming that you are on some kind of blood thinner?

edit: NM you said you had INR testing done, so I am assuming Warfarin.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah dude please take your Metformin. I know it seems like you have no control over things but the medicine really will help and taking a pill everyday is sooooo much easier than insulin you really want to avoid letting it get worse at all costs.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Holy fuck guys, I never really checked this thread. I might be a shit head on the forums, but wanted to tell you guys w/ serious problems I hope all is or becomes well with you guys.

Edit: Nah, no sore throat etc (unless I spend all night yelling etc).

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Dawg, we have many non compliant diabetics on our floor and trust me, you do not want to go that route. Amputation, dialysis, blindness, neuropathy. Frankly, given your history, I won't be shocked that you will die of some stroke or heart attack. :\ I am assuming that you are on some kind of blood thinner?

edit: NM you said you had INR testing done, so I am assuming Warfarin.
Agreed here.

I've been to the hospital with complications and it's scary shit. Seeing people missing both feet, hearing stories of guys coming in covered in maggots because they can't even feel it, people just going into a coma and dying.

It may make you feel a little weird the first month but as an internet stranger id really urge you to take it.

I was non compliant for several years and it took a hard reality check for me to get my life back on track. It's not immediately seen right now but I'm willing to bet I did permanent damage to my body.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
From what I understand the metformin is still the first line therapy due to effectiveness and cost....also evidence that it reduces possibility of a fib in re ischemic strokes.

Oldbased Oldbased ...that is one helluva list of symptoms. You know that I have my best wishes for you.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Any recommendations on dealing with "brain fog"? My problem is I rarely feel mentally "sharp" or focused -- often feel like I'm in a daze. I know my diet isn't the greatest, but I do take various supplements in an attempt to make up for deficiencies. Physically I'm in good shape, I'm not over weight or anything and I exercise regularly (in fact I feel the most alert after a workout). I just don't know what the problem could be (or if there's even a problem. Maybe this is just the way it is).

Oldbased

> Than U
From what I understand the metformin is still the first line therapy due to effectiveness and cost....also evidence that it reduces possibility of a fib in re ischemic strokes.

Oldbased Oldbased ...that is one helluva list of symptoms. You know that I have my best wishes for you.
Thanks as always!
I just took my first Metformin. I've never had a adverse reaction to a drug so here is to hoping this isn't the first.
I guess I should say a adverse reaction requiring me to be hospitalized. I've had bad side effects and changed drugs plenty.

Also I need good advice on a glucose checker. The one I have now was awesome rated on Amazon until I got it( it was recently new ) the Clever Choice HD. Now it has all sorts of 1 star ratings and even though it is semi accurate to 2 blood works done today I had a odd 197 reading so I took it again and it was 114 so wanting to verify that again I took another and it was 146. That is 3 washed and dried fingers in 5 minutes time.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
At the urging of my family/friends, I've set up a GoFundMe account. About to go through "high dose" chemotherapy, and will likely have to have a retroperitoneal lymph node dissection afterward. Doctors say there's only a 30% chance of a cure at this point, Seminoma cases as stubborn as mine are very rare and very difficult. If this shit even works, it will be at least next year before I can get back to working.

My biggest concern honestly is that I'm going to die and my family will go into debt for my funeral/burial. I probably shouldn't be that pessimistic but I'm just trying to be realistic.

Give me shit if you want, at least it's not for my cat. (<3 tiggles)

Click here to support Medical Expenses - Stage 3C Cancer by Charlie Hundersmarck

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
My biggest concern honestly is that I'm going to die and my family will go into debt for my funeral/burial. I probably shouldn't be that pessimistic but I'm just trying to be realistic.

It's sad that this is one of the biggest concerns for healthcare. Not about living. But, trying to live without having our families go into debt. I pray for your success.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Start chemo tomorrow. Doctor said it will be 48 hour continuous every 2 weeks for 12 cycles. So I'll be on chemo treatments for 6 months. Fuck.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oldbased Oldbased I use a freestyle lite.

My insurance used to cover the test strips but no longer does. They're kind of expensive so I'd check with your insurance.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Any recommendations on dealing with "brain fog"? My problem is I rarely feel mentally "sharp" or focused -- often feel like I'm in a daze. I know my diet isn't the greatest, but I do take various supplements in an attempt to make up for deficiencies. Physically I'm in good shape, I'm not over weight or anything and I exercise regularly (in fact I feel the most alert after a workout). I just don't know what the problem could be (or if there's even a problem. Maybe this is just the way it is).

I had this for a few years and it was scary. Couldn't focus, couldn't recall names for shit, and it always felt like my brain was stuffed with cotton. I went to numerous doctors in a quest to figure out what was wrong, but most blamed lifestyle or getting older and didn't take it seriously. It co-existed with constant fatigue, poor sleep quality, and diarrhea. It ironically cleared up after I had an attack of diverticulitis and they put me on some hardcore antibiotics and antifungals. It's assumed that I had a long term simmering gut infection and/or yeast overgrowth, because after the drug regime my stools became normal, dark circles under eyes lessened, and I could actually think again.. I would start off with some quality probiotics and reducing carb intake, and if it doesn't get better go to the doc and see if you can get something for gut yeast overgrowth.