Health Problems

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
It does sorry you've got to deal with that.
frown.png

I've had years of it at this point. If you have any questions on anything chemo treatment related ask away. I'll do my best to answer any question you have.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
what chemo drugs were you getting?

i'm getting cisplatin and etoposide. the cisplatin especially seems to be rough. fucking with my electrolytes hardcore, been hiccuping nonstop for like three days. haven't taken a shit since sunday night, but at least i'm not painfully constipated. just doesn't even feel like i need to go.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I've been on adriamycin twice, vinblastine/vinonrelbine twice, and mehtotrexate once. For pills I was on gleevec, interferon, and I took another one that I don't remember the name of. I do know that it was going to cost $2k/month to be on it. My doctors contacted the company and I was able to have my entire treatment covered by the company. They even sent me a care package with a decent duffle bag that I ended up using as my tennis bag.
Adriamycin is by far the absolute worst of them all. Hair loss, terrible nausea, mouth sores, butt sores - the fucking worst!, and I required a 3 blood transfusions the last few rounds I received. No medical pot back then so it was fucking dreadful beyond all measure.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Dr. Wed. precribed tramadol. I just said my sister had give me a couple and I took half and it made a huge difference in quality of life. He didn't even let me finish, just said "I have no problem writing a prescription for that". Sad you have to get the neurologist to take over and plan everything that the internist blew off.

While filing out the stuff for my blood work he was like "it may take me a second to find it but we'll get it all done at once", not even his speciality.

Borzak

3 days into the tramadol. Night and day difference. I got up, washed dishes, vacuumed up the den, went and picked up some pine cones. I haven't left the house other than go to a doctor or walked further than the kitchen in a few months.

Borzak

I drove to the store today. First time I've driven in 6+ months. I'm not feeling out of breath all the time. I go for a checkup MRI Tuesday. It's amazing I feel like I could do anything. Trying to pace myself. Too wet outside or I would mow the yard right now.

Even if it turns out to be MS there is stuff they can give you to help. This was just flat out disabling. If I walked further from my room than the bathroom I was out of breath like I ran a few miles. Walked about a mile today while the rain was stopped.

Borzak

Well good, finally some progress.

You got a doc that manages to give a shit.
I went to an internist that had never heard of ADEM. Which is no big deal it's rare and he's not a neurologist. He looked it up on his phone and then 30 seconds later was lecturing me about it. I'm suprised they didn't hold me for wanting to harm someone. He said it wasn't auto immune related. Retard it's an auto immune problem where your immune system gets out of whack and attacks your nerves due to an infection or virus.

He sent me a registered letter saying I should find another doctor. Well no shit sherlock. Then the hospital he was with called and wanted to schedule some test he had scheduled. Umm no.

Borzak

I don't know what is wrong with me but at least the last few days I have felt human for the first time in a while. Got out today and tilled up some in the humminbird garden. Tired now tho, but just getting outside was nice.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
So, got results back form the Urologist a couple days ago, kidney stone was Calcium Oxalate type. Nurse who called me with the info basically all but told me to just Google what not to eat and drink lots of water.... thanks for that folks, I'd never have figured how to do that myself.
rolleyes.png
But hey, you have a followup in a few months, well see you then!

Working on getting 2 24-hour urine tests done to see if I am still prone to produce stones. Got one prescrip from Urologist office but it involves sending it off to an outside lab, who then send me the stuff and I have to send it all back to them. My primary is working on getting me a prescrip where I can go to a local Quest Diagnostics and get/drop things off there. I'm just not willing to take the chance that I am still making more. As it is, I still have some in my left kidney and 1 in my right. Most, as of the last time they looked, were 2-3mm, which should pass with no issue other than the minor pain. But there is a larger one in the left which will likely not pass since its 6-7mm. Will have to deal with that at some point in the future i think, rather than just hoping it never passes.

Other than that, started working out a bit the past two weeks, plus I am continuing to drink a lot of water. Down to 217lbs, so yay to that I guess!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ugh, I don't see how this could just be a septal deflection. I haven't had a nose bleed since the cauterization, but now the lump that the PA said was 'nothing' is inflamed again and significantly obstructing the flow of air through my right nostril.

Borzak

I had to get off the tramadol. It worked great taking one pill a day. When I bumped it up to 2 a day after 4 days I got to where I couldn't breathe. Heart rate dropped by a significant amount too. Still within normal but considerably lower than mine is normally. That was bad.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
tramadol is a really messy drug. it actually is an active prodrug -- tramadol itself is not an opioid, it is a norepinephrine (aka nor-adrenaline in euro medicine) reuptake inhibitor (NRI). meaning it also functions as a peripheral stimulant. it is only once the tramadol hits your liver and a carbon atom is removed from tramadol's oxygen, forming O-desmethyl-tramadol, that the drug becomes an opioid.

there is a rate limit at which that process can happen. this is part of why the pharmaceutical industry calls tramadol a "non-narcotic," (even though it is definitely a narcotic)... past a certain point, taking more tramadol just increases the NRI effects without increasing the opioid effects.

this is also why tramadol lowers the seizure threshold. unlike traditional opiates, tramadol greatly increases the chance that an individual will experience an epileptic seizure. particular if they're abusing the stuff, but it is not unheard of for people using it for chronic pain to end up having a seizure disorder.

also, tramadol doesn't play too nicely with a lot of other medicines. combined with the wrong things (certain stimulants and serotonergic drugs), it can cause hypertensive crisis. and tramadol is metabolized by the liver enzymes CYP3A4 and CYP2D6, two of the most common enzymes that pharmaceuticals are broken down by. specifically they take the outlying carbon off of methoxybenzene and (i think) methylaminobenzene style groups, which are present in a lot of pharmaceuticals because they are chemically easy manipulations to make when trying to discover new drugs. the fact that tramadol competes for these enzymes with many other drugs means that the rate at which the tramadol -> o-desmethyltramadol conversion happens can be greatly reduced in individuals taking multiple medications. leading to that individual getting most just a NRI effect and not a opioid pain relieving effect from their tramadol. this can cause the NRI tramadol to build up in your system over time, too, adding to the risk of the seizure threshold being lowered.

the pharmaceutical industry is pushing really hard to make tramadol the next big thing, and it kind of already has become it. but i think the stuff is awful medicine, and if it was up to me it wouldn't be on the market.

if doctors educated patients on the proper way to use traditional opiates, and the risks of taking them long term, we wouldn't have a need for pro-drug painkillers.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Ugh, I don't see how this could just be a septal deflection. I haven't had a nose bleed since the cauterization, but now the lump that the PA said was 'nothing' is inflamed again and significantly obstructing the flow of air through my right nostril.
Just get a nose job and be done with it.. Everybody I've ever known that's had a deviated septum has eventually gotten a nose job to fix their issues for good.

Borzak

Almost like the tramadol let me reset. After a few days of it then having to stop it's still 1000x better than I was before I started. Got out and washed the truck today and drove to town and such.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i can see that happening. this sounds hokey and newagey, but i've always thought.... sometimes physical pain is due to some barely conscious tension that we are holding. pain relief can allow the body to release tension that was causing problems. helps get your brain out of the way and allow your body to do what it needs to do.