Health Problems

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
When facing an obese patient, with reflux, hbp and high TC, most doctors will prescribe 3 drugs for life, with serious long term effects, rather than even suggesting to lose weight, whilges.

In fairness, the frequency with which obese people actually enact successful, long-term lifestyle change is near zero. I can totally imagine being jaded as a doctor.

Mine wants me to try diet and weight loss first, which I'm fine with. I've been meaning to lose 15 lbs for a while. When I was hypertensive around age 30 I lost 35 lbs in 6 months and kept all of it off for years and only crept back about halfway when I had orthopedic problems and needed to stop doing martial arts. I'm 100% certain I can do it again, with a bonus I'll actually fit in my old suits. I'm sure between that, upping fiber, and lowering saturated fats I'll get my cholesterol down some. Question is just how much.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
When facing an obese patient, with reflux, hbp and high TC, most doctors will prescribe 3 drugs for life, with serious long term effects, rather than even suggesting to lose weight, while we know that the root cause of all 3 problems is very likely to be obesity.

It's not entirely their faut, as whether it's the government or insurance company, they try their best to let them see their patient 15 mn every 6 months, and dictating them what to do. They're increasingly technicians just applying rules made by bureaucrats. If bloodwork shows A then prescribe B. No choice given, or they'll be punished.

Personnaly I'm astonished that most people will not blink when told they need to take 1,2 or 3 drugs for the rest of life, when it's well documented that it could be avoided with lifestyle changes.

My ex wife is on all kinds of fucking pills. Pill A for this, but then side effects, so pill B. And because of all that, pill C to correct this imbalance, and on down the chain. She was 35 and on a handful of pills every day, and honestly, not particularly overweight, not compared to the ham planets you see pushing 350 at 5'2".

I've had back and knee problems for a very long while, which culminated with doctors telling me to take NSAIDs at a very high dose for a very long term, which lead to recurring regular peptic ulcers. Needless to say, I'm not exactly thrilled about their medical advice when it caused more problems for me, and fixed nothing. It wasn't until I started lifting earlier this year that my back and knee pain just...went away. Like it's fucking crazy, I was in pain every single day of my life, for over a decade, and 6 months of lifting 6 days a week (and not particularly hard either), and a change to a high protein diet and literally all of my problems are gone. Including the ulcer issues - it's been 8 months since I had any, when I was on a pretty regular 4-6 month flare up cycle.

You know how many doctors told me the solution to my problems was to eat 200g of protein a day and do some mild strength training? Why the fuck is that? The whole profession is fucking corrupt, and based upon keeping you on pills for the rest of your life.

Or, you know...just handle your nutrition and get off your ass.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a good one for you boys and girls.
So since the age of 20 I been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and I have been though it all, multiple medicines, the blood, the pain, the shit, and all. 8 years of being scared of flare ups that would leave me with low energy and moody. In the last week of April and early May I was in and out of the ER cause of it and it kept getting worst. When UC get worst the last opinion is surgery, the removal of the colon which results in a ileostomy bag and it happen to me last month.

I’m currently typing this with a stoma and a ileostomy bag taped to me. But I’m happy tho, the recovery was awful especially when I have staples attached to me, pain pills were my best friend. I was so weak after the surgery too but I’m some what better now. I walk slower

I don’t have to worry about this no more, it’s be such an awful feelings emotional and mental in my 20’s, it’s just gone now. currently the plan is to get the reverse stoma surgery and the j-pouch. I only know I will be talking to a surgeon that may do it next month. I’m really hype about the future. Since the surgery I been having this positive feeling like a character in darkest dungeon.
So tomorrow is the day, am I going to have the surgery that set up the J pouch. I'm basically getting a new butthole🤣 I'm still going to have the bag after the surgery, but with everything inside healing up. After that, it will be just a matter of time til I don't have this bag taped to me anymore. 6 to 8 weeks, a matter of fact.
Wish me luck, I'll keep you guys locked in when I have the able to type after

• 6Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So some updates. Apparently the tumor isn't spread all over and is in a pretty good spot for operating as well as avoiding serious collateral damage. Surgery is scheduled for early November.
Surgery happened today. The doctor was really happy with how it went, they removed most of the tumor then did an MRI and removed a little bit more. Samples have been sent to a lab but results aren’t expected till next week. They woke her up a bit after finishing everything to check for speech and movement which was also fine. So about as good as you can expect so far.

• 6Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
(Not sure this is the right thread for this, but it's related I think.)

I started training (going to the gym) with a buddy not too long ago and he's been working me up to his level. Ive been ok for the most part, but I always steered away from dead lifts and squats. I had a bike wreck in 2011 and I walk just a tad crooked if you closely look at my gait. Doctors say Im fine, but Ive thrown my back out by just picking up a pen before - so Im just super sensitive about it. But Im trying to work towards just being stronger, so Im pushing the envelope on everything.

Long story short, we started doing some front squats and.. I can do them. I can actually do a lot more weight than I thought I could. But I have to put a plate under my heels in order to get a stable stance/form. When I bend my knees down during the lift, my heels are coming up. I lack any real mobility there for whatever reason. My buddy knew enough to do the plate under the heel to correct the stance, but didnt know how to stretch out that muscle group to get more mobility. Ive googled it and I see a mile long list of shit to do - but I'm unsure on what to trust or what will get me the best results the fastest. Whats your thoughts?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

I started training (going to the gym) with a buddy not too long ago and he's been working me up to his level. Ive been ok for the most part, but I always steered away from dead lifts and squats. I had a bike wreck in 2011 and I walk just a tad crooked if you closely look at my gait. Doctors say Im fine, but Ive thrown my back out by just picking up a pen before - so Im just super sensitive about it. But Im trying to work towards just being stronger, so Im pushing the envelope on everything.

Long story short, we started doing some front squats and.. I can do them. I can actually do a lot more weight than I thought I could. But I have to put a plate under my heels in order to get a stable stance/form. When I bend my knees down during the lift, my heels are coming up. I lack any real mobility there for whatever reason. My buddy knew enough to do the plate under the heel to correct the stance, but didnt know how to stretch out that muscle group to get more mobility. Ive googled it and I see a mile long list of shit to do - but I'm unsure on what to trust or what will get me the best results the fastest. Whats your thoughts?

Just keep doing the motion, going as far as you can each time. You literally need to stretch the muscle out, which is going to take time.

• 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

I had the same concerns when I started lifting. My back and knees are wrecked from 20 years of manual labor. But I decided to not shy away from either exercise, I just started with comically low weight. I'm talking I started deadlifting like 30lbs just to get the form right (I don't have an Olympic bar). With squats, my biggest problem is I can't go all the way down and get my thighs horizontal like you see guys do, so I always use a bench behind me for support, and again, started super slow. Results seem to be there, it was a really good idea for me...and I only increase 5lbs every time I can max out sets. Then I thought I tore my meniscus doing single leg RDLs (should have known better, that's the motion that tore mine years ago), and after talking to the PT gal at work, she told me just keep doing squats and deadlifts and just start with no weight and work yourself back up to rehab it, and THAT fucking worked too.

It's kinda crazy how effective those exercises are at just unfucking your body. You'll get there, just don't be in a rush, and do what you can do.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Missing first few weeks that I've posted where it blistered up and opened. More gross than just clean wound, but here's the last progression to then starting to close and some time on wound vac. Gonna be a scar worthy of 2 face.

Looking much better. 👍

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
You can shit in a bag and send it off to a lab now. No need for the probe anymore.

I have a family history, mother and grandmother. My mom died of colon cancer at 53. I'm well served by the extra sensitivity of the direct diagnostic (99% vs 80%), plus ability to remove polyps on the spot.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It never hurts to consult a good physical therapist.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
My ex wife is on all kinds of fucking pills. Pill A for this, but then side effects, so pill B. And because of all that, pill C to correct this imbalance, and on down the chain. She was 35 and on a handful of pills every day, and honestly, not particularly overweight, not compared to the ham planets you see pushing 350 at 5'2".

I've had back and knee problems for a very long while, which culminated with doctors telling me to take NSAIDs at a very high dose for a very long term, which lead to recurring regular peptic ulcers. Needless to say, I'm not exactly thrilled about their medical advice when it caused more problems for me, and fixed nothing. It wasn't until I started lifting earlier this year that my back and knee pain just...went away. Like it's fucking crazy, I was in pain every single day of my life, for over a decade, and 6 months of lifting 6 days a week (and not particularly hard either), and a change to a high protein diet and literally all of my problems are gone. Including the ulcer issues - it's been 8 months since I had any, when I was on a pretty regular 4-6 month flare up cycle.

You know how many doctors told me the solution to my problems was to eat 200g of protein a day and do some mild strength training? Why the fuck is that? The whole profession is fucking corrupt, and based upon keeping you on pills for the rest of your life.

Or, you know...just handle your nutrition and get off your ass.
I’d just like to take a moment and recommend anyone else in a similar situation to try to find a real good sports physical therapist. You’ll have to pay out of pocket but physical therapy will do wonders.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

Repost of what I just said but find a good sports PT. Mine works out of a private gym. Super smart Phd. She doesn’t even try to milk you for money… You show up and she gives you exercises to do, shows you how to do them then sends you YouTube videos SHE made going through them.. The only time she requests follow-ups is if she’s doing dry needling, ART or something that requires her.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Define “long-term”. Was having a similar issue to @pharmakos - cough, throat feeling a bit rough. I’ve really abused my body with alcohol and food over the past year in an attempt to cope with a new job that pushes 80 hour weeks and a constant high bar for performance.

It ended up catching up to me with what I believe is acid reflux. I’ve been on Pantoprazole for a month and a half now. It’s helped but I’ve not been hardcore enough adjusting my lifestyle. Still drinking maybe twice a week, still eating shit food.. So I’m not doing myself any favors. Had an endo last week. Doc saw my briefly after said everything looked good. Just some minor acid reflux.

From my research it takes a long time to heal and you have to be very strict on diet.. I don’t want to take these PPIs and Gaviscon forever.
I took Omeprazole daily for over 15 afer being diagnosed with reflux during the end of college. It was a miracle and took all my reflux symptoms away as long as I took it daily. If I missed more than a day it would come back with a vengeance.

Only 2 years ago I learned of the very real risks of long term use and weened myself off of it over the course of several months using a very strict keto diet and drinking homemade kefir every morning to fix my gut. I used DGL chews when it got really rough. Rebound reflux as you come off that shit is brutal.

I'm now medication free and I only really get reflux when I eat like shit or drink alcohol.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone here on statins? My LDL turned out super high this year despite my otherwise being in pretty good shape, good blood pressure, diet and regular exercise, etc. I'm not super stoked about being on perpetual medication but I don't really want a heart attack or stroke either.

What are people's experiences? Side effects?
There is no evidence that stations reduce heart attacks. They reduce cholesterol and have horrific side effects.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck colonsocopy prep. That is all.

I remember taking the first couple of swigs of that stuff, looking at my wife and saying “yeah, this is going to work.” I finally understood what the doc meant by “running clear.”

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
14 daily doses of miralax in 2 hours. It is... effective.

I've done 3, one with yellow gatorade looking crap that tasted awful, I vomited it up towards the end and didn't take it all
One with 'golightly' which looked like glue and had zero taste. it was the amount I had to take that sucked
and one with the linked tablets. The tablets win 1000000000% When I did them, they were not covered by my insurance ( cuz why would they be) but the manufacturer had a coupon that made them like $40. Do it one time and you'll gladly pay that to never have to drink a 55 gallon drum of yeet again.