Health Problems

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Month 1 of 6 with increased chemo starts tonight. 350mg vs 180. At least it's only 5 days.

• 11Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Had an endoscopy due to recent issues with acid reflux. Came back fine - about as much acid reflux as a person drinking a cup of coffee (note they had me on that acid reduce med prior for like 2 months so prob helped).

PA in follow-up goes “well what we did find is you may have a gluten intolerance”.

uhhh what. I feel like I would notice that? Anyways sent me to get blood work to see if I’m allergic. What the heck is with all this gluten intolerance stuff going around the past decade or so?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Had an endoscopy due to recent issues with acid reflux. Came back fine - about as much acid reflux as a person drinking a cup of coffee (note they had me on that acid reduce med prior for like 2 months so prob helped).

PA in follow-up goes “well what we did find is you may have a gluten intolerance”.

uhhh what. I feel like I would notice that? Anyways sent me to get blood work to see if I’m allergic. What the heck is with all this gluten intolerance stuff going around the past decade or so?
Are you a male over 60 or female?

Last edited:

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

Maybe all your deep throating went a bit too far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

It isn’t as binary as people think, kinda like allergies. A peanut could make you a bit itchy or turn your stomach, or it could close your throat right up. same with gluten

• 1Like

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Surely they would have found celiac on an endo? Isn’t celiac super intense? They didn’t mention it, I assume because there was no sign of it.

edit - nvm I’m thinking of crohns which is super intense

My wife's father was intensely allergic to gluten and only developed the allergy in his 40s. His mother was also celiac, however she tested positive for the allergy while throughout his life he was tested many times and it never showed a positive result. Proof was in the pudding though, as he got older if there was a gluten free meal prepped on the same surface as dishes that had wheat in them, he would get fuuuccked up.

• 1WTF

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My wife's father was intensely allergic to gluten and only developed the allergy in his 40s

Yeah, I have a friend who developed celiac disease in her 30's. It's bad enough now that she can't eat food prepared by anyone else or outside her own kitchen. A well-meaning friend accidentally cross-contaminated a dish with some flour left on a cutting board and that was enough to put her in the hospital.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Surely something has changed to make this such a common thing. Microplastics? Preservatives? Gotta be something

edit - vaccines?..

• 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Surely something has changed to make this such a common thing. Microplastics? Preservatives? Gotta be something

edit - vaccines?..

Excessively clean environments during childhood? Who knows.

There's also some reporting bias here where now we know what's going on while in generations past they would have been like, "Welp, Bobby died of wasting disease. Maybe he should have prayed harder."

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Excessively clean environments during childhood? Who knows.

There's also some reporting bias here where now we know what's going on while in generations past they would have been like, "Welp, Bobby died of wasting disease. Maybe he should have prayed harder."
It’s all so complicated..

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Pesticides in everything.
That, and the lack of diversity in the seeds, GMO possibly,... I heard that it often happen that supposedly gluten intolerant americans eat bread/pasta in France / Italy and are surprised to have no issue.
In your average boulangerie in France you'll find actual bread made from different flours coming from different kind of wheat, organic, Label Rouge, the you'll have a variety in the yeast,..

Sliced bread a nice invention? Probably responsible for loads of premature deaths.

I believe the lack of variety of your alimentation is just as important as its quality, and you really need both.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That, and the lack of diversity in the seeds, GMO possibly,... I heard that it often happen that supposedly gluten intolerant americans eat bread/pasta in France / Italy and are surprised to have no issue.
In your average boulangerie in France you'll find actual bread made from different flours coming from different kind of wheat, organic, Label Rouge, the you'll have a variety in the yeast,..

Sliced bread a nice invention? Probably responsible for loads of premature deaths.

I believe the lack of variety of your alimentation is just as important as its quality, and you really need both.
I've heard similar things about red meat US vs EU. I'm not sure where I stand on GMO, and while variety is probably never a bad thing, I'd say it's highly unlikely that has more of an effect on all the heavily processed/sugar/chemicals we introduce at pretty much all levels of the food chain.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've heard similar things about red meat US vs EU. I'm not sure where I stand on GMO, and while variety is probably never a bad thing, I'd say it's highly unlikely that has more of an effect on all the heavily processed/sugar/chemicals we introduce at pretty much all levels of the food chain.
I'm not sure that GMO are bad, but I'm not sure either they're fine. M'y grandkid will probably know whether it's fine or not, but I certainly don't trust 'Science' when it tells me 'it's fine'.

This stuff is too complicated for us to foresee all the implications. 'There's no reason to think it's bad' is really unconvincing to me. I need to sée that people that ate a lifetime of GMO aren't worse off.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Pesticides in everything.
It’s actually crazy the amount of pesticides in veg/fruits. Only started to realize it when I started growing my own… I remember asking a buddy of mine about growing strawberries here because it seems like a popular crop, his response “yeah they look great because they pretty much soak them in pesticide. Those things are so sweet every bug wants them”.

Turned me off to growing strawberries.. I try to use permaculture approaches to pest control and if I have to some organic pesticides.