Health Problems

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
When I was in the Air Force our squadron security manager was a retired Marine Sgt Mjr who was recon in multiple tours in Vietnam and a bunch of other stuff. Dude just exhuded this aura of manly self confidence that can only come from living through some real shit. Was in his mid 60s and had a pretty good kidney stone, was the only period of time he ever seemed diminished.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
goddamn chemo kept me up all night and then I was exhausted so I slept all morning. I guess there is one good side, I didn't have to watch the Panthers get shut out.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Well yesterday was last day of month 2/6 of chemo. It didn't do me as bad as last time but still SUCKED. Now to heal up enough to do it all over again.....

• 7Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ok so I decided to go cold turkey on caffeine, not that I was drinking a ton maybe 300-400mg a day from coffee.

Was dragging for the first couple days. Today I tried taking a B12 vitamin and I'm basically wired right now so I'm trying to reconsider vitamins.

What are some good reasonable resources on vitamin supplements in this age of rampant consumer whoring? Basically for as long as I can remember everyone was wildly vacillating between positions of vitamins are pointless because they aren't digested, to super pill scams that said you could cure cancer with pomegranates so I just have never taken any since I was a kid.

• 2Like

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ok so I decided to go cold turkey on caffeine, not that I was drinking a ton maybe 300-400mg a day from coffee.

Was dragging for the first couple days. Today I tried taking a B12 vitamin and I'm basically wired right now so I'm trying to reconsider vitamins.

What are some good reasonable resources on vitamin supplements in this age of rampant consumer whoring? Basically for as long as I can remember everyone was wildly vacillating between positions of vitamins are pointless because they aren't digested, to super pill scams that said you could cure cancer with pomegranates so I just have never taken any since I was a kid.
Beef is a nice multivitamin. Eat the offals occasionnaly. Liver is loaded with B12 for instance .
And assimilation is less a question when eating actual food.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Get some exercise and sunlight in the morning, finish your shower cold, eat light. They’ll all help keep your energy levels up

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Well folks, 2024 is not my year. I'm now pretty surely clear of cancer. My wife has breast cancer. Next week she will have a bilateral mastectomy. If the lymph nodes test negative, that's it. If there's anything suspicious there will be chemo. We can't catch a fucking break.

Her outlook is very good. Our kids are freaked the fuck out. I already suffer with anxiety and depression, this isn't helping, obviously. I know it is very treatable. I know the success rate is very high. But that's the end of titties for me. She's not doing reconstruction. The healing time is more than double, the risk is more than double, the pain is more than double. It isn't worth it. Good thing she has amazing legs and a fantastic ass.

I know that's selfish. I'm just trying to cope with this news. She's quite positive about life, saying she's going to lose weight overnight. There are better ways to lose weight.

Guys, my wife has cancer. I'm freaking the fuck out. I have to be stoic for her and for the kids. She knows how much I'm hurting, but she also knows I'll walk through hell for her. Adulting is hard.

• 18Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 20 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Well folks, 2024 is not my year. I'm now pretty surely clear of cancer. My wife has breast cancer. Next week she will have a bilateral mastectomy. If the lymph nodes test negative, that's it. If there's anything suspicious there will be chemo. We can't catch a fucking break.

Her outlook is very good. Our kids are freaked the fuck out. I already suffer with anxiety and depression, this isn't helping, obviously. I know it is very treatable. I know the success rate is very high. But that's the end of titties for me. She's not doing reconstruction. The healing time is more than double, the risk is more than double, the pain is more than double. It isn't worth it. Good thing she has amazing legs and a fantastic ass.

I know that's selfish. I'm just trying to cope with this news. She's quite positive about life, saying she's going to lose weight overnight. There are better ways to lose weight.

Guys, my wife has cancer. I'm freaking the fuck out. I have to be stoic for her and for the kids. She knows how much I'm hurting, but she also knows I'll walk through hell for her. Adulting is hard.
God bless you guys, I've lived it. It sucks, but doing the masectomy (and having that as an option) is great news. Hope surgery is great and she can recover w/ no chemo (devils' poison). Godspeed.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
lurkingdirk lurkingdirk Flip all that on its head and try seeing it from a positive...

A) You are cancer free! Congrats that is HUGE!!!!
B) Your wife and medical attendants caught her breast cancer early enough that there is a possibility of no chemo. Imagine if it wasn't caught until this time next year...?
C) Your kids are awesome and thriving in life due to all time energy and effort you and your wife put into them. I know you are proud of them, you should be proud of yourself for getting them to this point.
D) I have theory about your depression/anxiety...you miss having your kids under your roof. Your daily routine for the last ~20 years you were in service to your kids/family. That service included some sort of care/providing for them in the flesh daily. I am sure you still do that in in many ways for them, but now it is not the same it is far less hands on.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Horowitz
Reactions: 9 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
lurkingdirk lurkingdirk Flip all that on its head and try seeing it from a positive...

A) You are cancer free! Congrats that is HUGE!!!!
B) Your wife and medical attendants caught her breast cancer early enough that there is a possibility of no chemo. Imagine if it wasn't caught until this time next year...?
C) Your kids are awesome and thriving in life due to all time energy and effort you and your wife put into them. I know you are proud of them, you should be proud of yourself for getting them to this point.
D) I have theory about your depression/anxiety...you miss having your kids under your roof. Your daily routine for the last ~20 years you were in service to your kids/family. That service included some sort of care/providing for them in the flesh daily. I am sure you still do that in in many ways for them, but now it is not the same it is far less hands on.

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate this community, and this post right here is one of the reasons.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider

Holy. Shit.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Oblio did a great job of outlining the positives and there isn't much I can add there.

The only things I would say are:

My wife was all about lopping her boob off, we made a similar joke about losing some weight. She was planning on reconstruction down the road, so I joked about getting to touch a new pair of tits for the first time in like 20 years. She was really matter of fact about it - this is what we gotta do, so we do it. But after the surgery it really fucked her up and she didn't see it coming. It was a body she no longer recognized. I'm sure they've already mentioned it, but whatever oncology team is working with you guys probably has counseling and groups of women to talk to because it's a mind fuck. Also there are volunteer groups on Facebook that will crochet a boob you can put in your bra or shirt. You give them a cup size and send a picture and they make them. The chicken cutlet titty things slip around and fall out too much.

As for the stoic thing. I don't know that that was the route I took, but I did take the approach that as long as there was a path forward or something to try we needed to focus on that. I couldn't get bogged down in what might happen. We needed to spend our energy on figuring out what was next or the thing after that. But at the end of the day, I'd still be lying in bed completely unable to sleep where these intrusive thoughts kept creeping in. I knew she was awake too. I was focused on my own mental self preservation so the family and life stuff could keep working and keeping us moving but I also left her alone in that. She really thought I was Mr. Positivity 100% of the time, but that couldn't have been further from the truth. And I know your situation is totally and completely different than mine but it's OK in some ways to let her know you're freaking out too (not that you haven't necessarily), because she's freaking out.

On the mastectomy, get with the pain management folks beyond just whats needed post surgery. I don't know how early it can happen, but I know certainly by 6 months, the nerves and shit start to come back online - and they are pissed. Of all the shit my wife ever went through (including child birth) - she said THAT was the most painful thing she'd ever faced and it comes on like a light switch - so have some morphine handy. And she only lopped off one of her tits.

Honestly, I could go on and on about different shit like this but I'm sure you're already getting this from all comers and that ain't what you need here, but if there's anything I can do - don't hesitate to ask.

Just know that she's going to get through this, you're going to get through this, and most of this board is pulling for you (I initially wrote everyone but there are some fucking weirdos here).

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Hey, this is Dirk's wife. He is far more freaked out about this than I am. I trust the surgeon and the oncologist. I'm getting good care. I really appreciate that you people are encouraging. He needs it.

He's also going to kill me for making this post, but I can take him.

• 11Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hey, this is Dirk's wife. He is far more freaked out about this than I am. I trust the surgeon and the oncologist. I'm getting good care. I really appreciate that you people are encouraging. He needs it.

Careful, there's a better than average chance that one of the degenerates around here asks for a boob pic before they're gone forever.

• 2Worf
  • 2Quality Calories
  • 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Careful, there's a better than average chance that one of the degenerates around here asks for a boob pic before they're gone forever.

Oh he's already taken those pictures. You degenerates will never see them. See what happens to boobs when you have five kids. It's not pretty.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

My cousin's wife had to go through this in her late 20s pretty sure a couple months recovering from giving birth. Happy and healthy, last kids just going off to college next year. It's a terrible thing to go through but I don't think they've ever let a moment of life slip by since.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Oh he's already taken those pictures. You degenerates will never see them. See what happens to boobs when you have five kids. It's not pretty.

Paging local pervert Izo Izo
captain hook smiling GIF

• 10Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
You guys have no idea how much I appreciate this community, and this post right here is one of the reasons.
Someone , don't remember who said it best , that this place was for the most part full of good people that would call you on your bullshit. That's all you can ask for.
I sincerely hope you both come out of this safe and healthy. Going through it myself (brain not boobs, and minor at that) I can relate on being freaked the fuck out.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like