Hearthstone

Caliane

I was asking the more basic question. what is a golden card?
But googled and got the answer.

A cosmetic "foil" version of a card, which has special animations.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Not sure what you were doing but you weren't "healing" it with your hero ability. You can only heal up to the max HP. Sounds like you were just buffing it's HP up with things like PW:S or Divine Spirit.
This is definitely incorrect. The mage hit it for 1 and then T2 I used my Priest heal ability to heal it and it went to a 1/4. He pinged it again and I healed it again and it went to a 1/5. I figured when the5was green I couldn't heal it anymore but then it took more damage and I was able to get it all the way to a 1/9.

Just really confusing how you can increase a minion's defense just by healing it. If say a 3/3 takes 2 dmg to become a 3/1, can you heal it for like 5 so it becomes a 2/6?

I honestly think that is one of the dumbest mechanics ever. No wonder priests are so insanely strong. In MTG, you can heal a creature on the battlefield but you can never heal it beyond it's original toughness unless you've played another card that actually increases it's toughness.

Column_sl

shitlord
Ive played the game for over a month against many priests, and have never once seen that happen.

You probly buffed it like the guy said, and didnt notice it.

the green designates a buff on it. Also any cards you put on the board that buff health will also do the same thing.

Elerion

N00b
So I got into beta this past weekend and have played various decks. I think the one thing I really don't like about this game is the ability to heal a minion well beyond it's original stats.

Example, I have a priest deck and was playing against a mage. T1 the mage arcane missles me for 3dmg. Then I played the OP Northshire Cleric T1 and the mage pings it on his T2. My T2 I heal it and it becomes a 1/4 and I draw a card. I eventually get my Northsire Cleric up to a 1/9 and have draw a boatload of cards off of it.

That has to be the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen in a CCG/TCG. Is this a bug or is this legit?
"Restore X health" effects are heals. They heal damage, thus raising current health, but not beyond max health. Example: Priest class ability.
"+X health" effects are buffs. They increase max health (and add an equivalent amount of current health), but do not heal damage. Example: Power Word Shield.

+X health spells and abilities are more expensive, for obvious reasons.

Elerion

N00b
I honestly think that is one of the dumbest mechanics ever. No wonder priests are so insanely strong. In MTG, you can heal a creature on the battlefield but you can never heal it beyond it's original toughness unless you've played another card that actually increases it's toughness.
Now I'm thinking you're just confused. I can't think of a single MTG card that technically heals a creature. You can regenerate it if it would die, you can increase its toughness, you can add damage prevention shields, it will automatically heal to full at the end of each turn, but you can't actually heal damage on demand.

Neph_sl

shitlord
"Restore X health" effects are heals. They heal damage, thus raising current health, but not beyond max health. Example: Priest class ability.
"+X health" effects are buffs. They increase max health (and add an equivalent amount of current health), but do not heal damage. Example: Power Word Shield.

+X health spells and abilities are more expensive, for obvious reasons.
I'm with you, except for the last part.Power Word: Shieldis only 1 mana, but it's a card vs a hero ability.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is definitely incorrect. The mage hit it for 1 and then T2 I used my Priest heal ability to heal it and it went to a 1/4. He pinged it again and I healed it again and it went to a 1/5. I figured when the5was green I couldn't heal it anymore but then it took more damage and I was able to get it all the way to a 1/9.
If that actually happened, it sounds like a bug. My experience is that the priest ability can only heal to max current health. So a 1/3 could only be healed to 3, or your hero health can only be healed to 30, etc.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Went 9-2 and 7-2 with druid and warlock decks in arena.
I see people saying stuff like this a lot in the thread. Is there some benefit to retiring in the arena before being booted out at 3 losses? Will the rewards be better to retire early? I've always just played until losing 3 games, my best being 6-3 so far.

Elerion

N00b
I'm with you, except for the last part.Power Word: Shieldis only 1 mana, but it's a card vs a hero ability.
Comparing cards with hero abilities is dodgy, since cards aren't repeatable. You wouldn't play a spell that was 2 mana, deal 1 damage and nothing else, but it's a great hero ability. (Also, PWS is overpowered)

Compare card vs card instead.

Sinzar: 9 wins is the maximum. You keep going until 9 wins or 3 losses, whichever happens first.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
If that actually happened, it sounds like a bug. My experience is that the priest ability can only heal to max current health. So a 1/3 could only be healed to 3, or your hero health can only be healed to 30, etc.
Again, T1 the mage, going first, arcane missles me for 3dmg. My T1 I play the Northsire Cleric (who by the way, should not cost 1 mana.) T2 he uses his Mage ability and pings it for 1. T2 I heal it with the priest heal ability and it went to a 1/4. Eventually, via Priest heals and Holy Nova, I got my Northsire Cleric up to a 1/9.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I see people saying stuff like this a lot in the thread. Is there some benefit to retiring in the arena before being booted out at 3 losses? Will the rewards be better to retire early? I've always just played until losing 3 games, my best being 6-3 so far.
I've heard some talk about ending and arena run at 8 wins vs 9 wins. At 9 wins, you can get a gold card or a second pack, but at 8 wins you can get potentially get more gold. However at 8 wins, you're already going to get enough gold for another arena entry, so I would personally just try for 9 for the second pack / gold card.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Again, T1 the mage, going first, arcane missles me for 3dmg. My T1 I play the Northsire Cleric (who by the way, should not cost 1 mana.) T2 he uses his Mage ability and pings it for 1. T2 I heal it with the priest heal ability and it went to a 1/4. Eventually, via Priest heals and Holy Nova, I got my Northsire Cleric up to a 1/9.
Bug. It does not work like that normally.

Caliane

That said, there are some pretty crazy possible combos. to get massive stuff out fast.
millhouse manastorm vid linked earlier. alarm-o-bot is designed for exactly that kind of shenanigans. 3 mana cost neutral. could be played on turn 2 with 2mana+coin. or number other possible mana cost reductions.
at the start of the next turn, swap it with a random minion in your hand. well if the only thing in your hand is deathwing... guess who is getting played round 3.

Elerion

N00b
Well, if the only thing on your board and hand is Deathwing on turn 3, you probably lose the game if the opponent has a counter. There's the 2/3 neutral snake that kills anything it touches, as well as a number of class spells (Hex, Poly, SWD, Sap, Execute, Naturalize, Equality, Deadly Shot, etc) that can counter that dude with a single card.

Using all your resources to combo out a big creature early on is a classicTimmymove in CCGs, and rarely works competitively unless that creature has a way to protect itself until it can win.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Does anyone actually useNaturalizethough? I always pass it up in arena and can't imagine choosing it for constructed. Giving your opponent two cards just sounds terrible.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I run 1 in my Druid Ramp deck. Only to be used to prevent game loss or secure game win.

Well, if the only thing on your board and hand is Deathwing on turn 3, you probably lose the game if the opponent has a counter. There's the 2/3 neutral snake that kills anything it touches, as well as a number of class spells (Hex, Poly, SWD, Sap, Execute, Naturalize, Equality, Deadly Shot, etc) that can counter that dude with a single card.

Using all your resources to combo out a big creature early on is a classicTimmymove in CCGs, and rarely works competitively unless that creature has a way to protect itself until it can win.
Alarm-o-bot swap doesn't trigger battlecry. So you don't really lose much trying that, except having alarm-o-bot in your deck in the first place.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

I drafted Deathwing the other day because it was like 29th card or so, and I figured, eh, if I'm losing, I could use it as a hailmary. It won me one game like that, guy was chipping at me, then he must have gotten impatient and dropped his entire hand of minions to overwhelm me or some shit, and I deathwinged everything and killed him in 3turns. 4 other games though he sat in my hand doing nothing, but I kinda liked knowing that I still had a potential last resort card. One game I played him as I was losing and it got sheeped so whatever, would have died 2turns later anyway, was against a mage and was already at 8health left with a bunch of 6+mana shit on the board and he still had a bunch of cards in his hand.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Has anyone else gotten a HTTP Status 403 when trying to create a Beta account? Blizzards customer support is less than helpful and I am about to say fuck it and never try to play this game. If this has been answered previously, I apologize.