Hearthstone

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm interested in your experience, taho. As a new player you have none of the classic cards and I think you'll have to just buy classic packs. It makes me sad.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I just started playing this last week - never played a TCG before - and am really enjoying it. I've been playing a basic mage control deck mostly and been bouncing between ranks 18-20. I tried 2 arenas (1 pally, 1 mage) and got 2 keys the first time and 3 the second. I did a little reading and research at Icy Veins hearthstone site. Is this a good resource? Are there any other good website guides out there? Any other tips for a beginner?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
This is a new tool for arena drafting. I saw Kripp use it on his stream and it seems pretty solid, if I ever decide to try arenas again will definitely use it.

Hearth Arena - Beyond the Tier List

Zulst_sl

shitlord
I tried that site and it makes some really odd picks a lot of the time. It seems to favor shit like Windfury and Bloodlust and a bunch of aggro shit, which might be good in the correct situations but they're dead cards most of the time.

I let it draft for me once and I went 7-3, and while I disagreed with some of the picks I still got some decent mileage out of it.

Probably a decent resource for people who don't average many wins per run. Not sure if they're still having server problems; I signed up for it yesterday and it took an entire day to get through the queue that opened up the drafting functionality.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
As a new(ish) player, i said fuck the arena. Gvg only rewards and dogshit draft choices make the 150g just not worth it. I just spend the gold on classic packs now. A lot less rage too.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The server is getting pounded during prime time. I've only had a couple odd choices, like 2 bloodlusts for one draft, and only then it was because the other cards were just as questionable.

Picking 1 card out of 3 is easy 90% of the time. That website will help with picking the right card for your curve, synergies with the rest of your deck, first pick emphasis, 2nd and 3rd pick de-emphasis, what type of deck your draft is shaping up to be. A lot of those concepts are not see easy to pick up in an arena setting since a new player might blame the randomization of the draft instead of their drafting choices. That is not to say that the drafting randomization doesn't screw you sometimes...

I actually like watching their stream. Learning how to draft is one thing, playing it correctly is a whole other(and one that I'm still working on heavily). They play REALLY slow, but they explain what they're thinking. One of the important concepts is thinking what the opponent might do. Kind of a duh concept, but a lot of people just want to play the game(I'm one of them, admittedly) and don't take the time to think out what a druid might play on turn 8 and how that might affect their turn 7 play.

Moogalak: as a new player, I would think the arena would be more compelling. I've been playing for a little while, but since I'm f2p, I'm still quite behind in cards. I'd rather take the randomization of the arena draft(which your opponent is subject to as well) over being at a distinct card disadvantage past a certain rank.

I'll admit it feels nice to beat a handlock that got to play, in order, Jaraxus, Mal'Ganis, blingtron 3000 & harrison jones with my no-epic huntertaker, but I imagine that it was more him being an idiot. 10/10, I lose that game. And this was at rank 16.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Yeah that logic is what keeps me trying a couple runs every now and then. At this point i pretty much log in every couple days and play casual to do the dailies, buy a couple classic packs, and log off.

Taho

N00b
I'm interested in your experience, taho. As a new player you have none of the classic cards and I think you'll have to just buy classic packs. It makes me sad.
Yeah, I hear you. I was surprised on my first arena to find out that they are only awarding GvG packs. I'm not sure where that leaves me for the classic cards. My initial thought if I have the patience is to use the dust from Arenas to craft the classic cards I want.

P.S. I started a new arena since my last post. Playing a priest and am 4-1 so far. I'm sure that I just fucked myself though by bragging :p

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I just started playing this last week - never played a TCG before - and am really enjoying it. I've been playing a basic mage control deck mostly and been bouncing between ranks 18-20. I tried 2 arenas (1 pally, 1 mage) and got 2 keys the first time and 3 the second. I did a little reading and research at Icy Veins hearthstone site. Is this a good resource? Are there any other good website guides out there? Any other tips for a beginner?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Once you get a feel for the basics, I'd watch a lot of Twitch.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I hear you. I was surprised on my first arena to find out that they are only awarding GvG packs. I'm not sure where that leaves me for the classic cards. My initial thought if I have the patience is to use the dust from Arenas to craft the classic cards I want.

P.S. I started a new arena since my last post. Playing a priest and am 4-1 so far. I'm sure that I just fucked myself though by bragging :p
If you get good enough at arena, surplus gold from good runs and dailies can buy you some packs. Not sure if it's enough, though.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I just played a warrior that played iron juggernaut x 2 using youthful brewmaster. Also had Wakandan Deathwing in his deck.

What a punk.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I just played a warrior that played iron juggernaut x 2 using youthful brewmaster. Also had Wakandan Deathwing in his deck.

What a punk.
Sounds like a refreshing change from the usual Fiery Win Axe, Shield Maiden, Shield Maiden, Shield Block, Shield Block, Sylvanas/Geddon, Rag, Grommash that I see every. fucking. time.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Another reason I prefer arena over constructed. You never know when someone's going to play an elven archer or stormpike to ping your 1 health minion. Or a magma charger against a mage.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I don't even. I went 1-8 this morning in arena with priest, hunter, then priest again. My priest drafts were pretty good and my hunter draft was kind of silly but should have least won me a couple games. Just gonna go troll rank 20 games will warrior decks. Fuck it.

Zulst_sl

shitlord
Sounds like a refreshing change from the usual Fiery Win Axe, Shield Maiden, Shield Maiden, Shield Block, Shield Block, Sylvanas/Geddon, Rag, Grommash that I see every. fucking. time.
I run the Iron Juggernaut and a Brewmaster and still have room for Shield Maidens, Sylvanas, Geddon, Rag, and Grommash. It's not that hard to fit in. I think all I cut was the Armorsmiths.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I must have an issue with my hearthstone client that isn't showing the full text of mech warper because I swear my opponent's must read when you draw this card put another mech warper in your hand.

Taho

N00b
I don't even. I went 1-8 this morning in arena with priest, hunter, then priest again. My priest drafts were pretty good and my hunter draft was kind of silly but should have least won me a couple games. Just gonna go troll rank 20 games will warrior decks. Fuck it.
Ended up going 4-3 on my priest arena. After that was playing ranked level 19 or so on my mage against a warrior. Victory was assured, then I saw my first Deathwing and promptly got my shit pushed in. As a beginner still tons of cards I've never seen or knew existed yet.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Finally achieved the dream of a 7 win arena run and can now quit the game as I have defeated it. Shaman with 0 legs, 0 epics, 0 hex. I really thought it was a 3 win deck at best.