Hellblade

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Looks like it might be trying to do what bloodborne/dark souls has been doing for fighting. Can't tell too much yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Will the sequel be called Hellblade: Bladehell?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This just popped up on my ps4 store
Voice acting actually sounds really good.

• 1Like

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is looking extremely interesting. Especially with the mental illness factor, and the surround sound voices in the player's head crafted specifically for multichannel headphones. From what I've read, they specifically are trying to mimic (quite successfully apparently) serious, real-world mental disorders and then have these affect the Celtic warrior hero(ess) throughout the game.

They hired a team of consultants including a psychiatrist, several psychologists and neuroscientists. Seems to focus on the main character's severe psychosis as you battle enemies with your sword and those inside your head.

Also, combat mechanic is getting great reviews with emphasis on lengthy one-one-one battles with a lot of parrying. Plus the game looks gorgeous!

Worrying though is the price point. I mean it's 30 bucks which should be cause for celebration, but it must be pretty short?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
6 hours or so but if you die enough times your save gets erased and you start over.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm usually about 3x longer than most estimates I see. 60 hour games take me close to 175. Fuck, I spent 612 hours in the Witcher 3 (plus expansions) - mostly though because I rode Roach or sailed everywhere in real time. No fast travel. Lol, I know.

So you say 6 hours, hell that's a good 20 for me. I'm very curious about this one, especially the combat and if it's good like I've heard. A la Bloodborne/Souls.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've watched a few streamers playing this and the game seems really solid, I was surprised that its only $30. The voice acting, especially the whispers in Senua's mind are great. There were some really tense moments that those voices really enhanced. The combat looks good, pretty fluid, but it appeared you can take quite a few hits.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
It's the same people that did Heavenly Sword, which I loved, so count me in.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I was watching this last night on Stream, I'll definitely have to pick this up at some point. Game looks gorgeous and is interesting to boot. Win + win = epic. Only thing is the length.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone snag a copy yet? It's in my cart, but I'm hesitating to commit. Now I see they've got No Man's Sky on for ~25 bucks or so until Tuesday and I've been waiting on trying that one too now that it has all the updates and may not suck. Decisions...

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Played this up through the first boss last night and it is something. No real Souls / Bloodborne comparison though. Completely different, at least this far. This is more of a cerebral experience or narrative, with some fighting as you make your way through linear corridor environments. There are some off the main path areas here and there. Trying to think of something to really compare it to. Like Silent Hill, or Ethan Carter, or hmm...

None of that is to take away from it. The first couple of hours are badass. And surround sound with the atmosphere is crazy. Graphics are great and it runs smooth as silk for me.

Combat so far is pretty straightforward. Slash, slash, dodge, throw a kick to break a block. The dodge window is pretty forgiving, but fighting three at once can get frantic. Some variety in mob types and abilities, but combat is spaced out, not constant bodies being thrown at you.

No levels, equipment, stats, perks, skill trees, etc... No tutorial, intro level, hand holding. Unless these first two areas serve that purpose and the game changes significantly. But it doesn't feel like that is happening.

That's my review thus far.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
How so? I'm not really up on the horror genre stuff that has been coming out lately to compare it to anything. But it has more of a going insane, devolving in to insanity thing going on. If that is horror to you. It has "disturbing imagery" of some typical horror things like burned bodies, hanging dead people, etc...

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The new Resident Evil is more of what I was talking, or Silent Hill. I can't play those kind of games, they fuck me up.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Oh, hmm well I wouldn't think it goes quite that far. Although the cerebralness of the voices in your head, especially with headphones, is pretty fuckey.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So finally getting around to this one, and holy shit how is this not a bigger thing? The the actual best looking game to date and it's not even close. Whatever kind of wizardry they pulled with her facial animations is actually insane and borders on unnerving with how real it looks.

Audio design is just as ridiculous. The schizo voices with a good pair of headphones are something else and the whole thing manages to be completely unsettling without relying on jump scares or anything even remotely horror trope-ey.

RE: save getting erased if you die too much:

it doesn't actually do that, there's quite a bit of unreliable narrator type stuff going on in it

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Just an FYI for those wanting to try it, it was released for Xbox today. If enough copies sell, the developer will donate to Mental Health America.

This game looks absolutely amazing and the voice acting is incredible so far. Been watching my fiancé play it and going to see if he’ll let me borrow his headphones for a bit so I can hear with the surround.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just beat it. What a great game. Masterful narrative, sound, graphics, and story telling. I loved it.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally got to this and finished through my backlog. Very much recommended, as mentioned above the graphics and voice acting is top shelf. The lady that plays Senua is an actual human and is masterful in her acting (if you complete the game watch the behind the scenes video). By now it should be discounted and although short it's worth it's price. One of the few games I can recall that really deals with mental illness and psychosis on a deep level. You feel her mental illness on a visceral level and at times it's disturbing. The combat is solid although I wouldn't put on a Dark Souls level. 8.5/10 and that's mainly due to the short length. Can't wait for the sequel.

• 1Solidarity