Helping me with my first Let's play video.

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
Hey every one. I have recorded 4 episodes of my first LP series and I wanted to get some feed back on it. I posted it on my fab page, which is public so no need to friend me, and was wondering if you all could watch it and give me some constructive critics. It's only 17 mins and I fucked up on the rendering so I know the quality of the video is shit. I record at 1080hd but I rendered it at 480 cause it was my first video and I am a dumbass. hehe So I am going to rerecord the series and add in any tweaks people bring to my attention.

Mainly what I am looking for is I want to know is how easy it is to follow what I am doing and if it is entertaining at all. I appreciate this greatly and thank every one who helps me out. Only thing I do ask is if you want to comment on my fb thread you do so in a respectful manner, please, because I have a lot of kids, family and folks who wouldn't understand our humor visit my page and I want to keep my page as PG as possible. Thanks again.

Camerous' Let's Play Series S1E1

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
Been up here for 2 hours, has 60+ views and no one ripping me a new one.. I consider that a success! LOL

I have had 100+ people from FB send me messages on it so I am getting a lot of great feed back and noticing things I never noticed before about how I speak. Really an eye opening experience. hehe

I am going to have to re-record the whole series for sure now that I think about it cause there were 5 mods missing from the first 4 episodes and some things that have been brought to my attention are just not really fixable with just a new rendering and dubbing over the audio. So I am going to restart on a fresh world but I would still like feed back so that I can make the next start a better one for the viewers. So please don't be shy with your comments and post what you thought of the video.

Thanks again everyone!

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
I like the game. *shrugs* To each their own bud.
In general it usually is easier to do lets plays of games that have more of a defined path towards the end.
I'll try to give more of a critique once I've had time to watch it all though.
And remember, with your link everyone lots of people know your facebook account, might want to host on youtube or blip and link from there.

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
My facebook has been linked here many times before as well as my full name. It doesn't bother me but thank you for your concern for me. I truly do appreciate it.

And as for the end goal of minecraft.. it's end goal is the same as every other game you can play... tp entertain you and keep you occupied and with the right people and the right thought processes a good showman can do all that for their audience. I am a great salesman so I figure I can sell this too. :)

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hey man! I dated a girl with the last name Estes for 5 years. It's like we're related!

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
Hey man! I dated a girl with the last name Estes for 5 years. It's like we're related!
All Estes in America are, in fact, related. We all came from John Estes in Pennsylvania where we have a huge park dedicated to our family. *grins*

I can trace my linage back 13 generations. hehe

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Mainly what I am looking for is I want to know is how easy it is to follow what I am doing and if it is entertaining at all.
It's easy to follow but it's not entertaining at all. Unless you're extremely charismatic or funny (you are neither) why would I want to watch this video when I could just as easily play it myself?

Golt_sl

shitlord
I haven't yet watched the Let's Play video you posted, but I agree that choice of game is pretty key. An open world sandbox game with no real endgame doesn't seem like thebestchoice, usually one with a storyline and defined beginning and end work better IMO. The only "interesting" minecraft videos i've seen were when they were exploring someone elses world that had set up a crazy amusement park type of setting or a really cool set of buildings.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Hey every one. I have recorded 4 episodes of my first LP series and I wanted to get some feed back on it. I posted it on my fab page, which is public so no need to friend me, and was wondering if you all could watch it and give me some constructive critics. It's only 17 mins and I fucked up on the rendering so I know the quality of the video is shit. I record at 1080hd but I rendered it at 480 cause it was my first video and I am a dumbass. hehe So I am going to rerecord the series and add in any tweaks people bring to my attention.

Mainly what I am looking for is I want to know is how easy it is to follow what I am doing and if it is entertaining at all. I appreciate this greatly and thank every one who helps me out. Only thing I do ask is if you want to comment on my fb thread you do so in a respectful manner, please, because I have a lot of kids, family and folks who wouldn't understand our humor visit my page and I want to keep my page as PG as possible. Thanks again.

Camerous' Let's Play Series S1E1
Questions i have all mainly have to deal with your capture method.

What are you using to screen capture?

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
It's easy to follow but it's not entertaining at all. Unless you're extremely charismatic or funny (you are neither) why would I want to watch this video when I could just as easily play it myself?
Thanks for your feed back. I will try to do better.

I haven't yet watched the Let's Play video you posted, but I agree that choice of game is pretty key. An open world sandbox game with no real endgame doesn't seem like thebestchoice, usually one with a storyline and defined beginning and end work better IMO. The only "interesting" minecraft videos i've seen were when they were exploring someone elses world that had set up a crazy amusement park type of setting or a really cool set of buildings.
We'll have to disagree here cause my freinds and I watch every direwolf, etho, bdoubleO, and Vintagebeef video that is released and, for the most part, all their video series are all sand boxes with none of that you are talking about.

What are you using to screen capture?
I am using frapps. I am recording in 1080 HD and getting 50 - 60 FPS except on world generation.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
One thing you may want to think about in a MineCraft LP is some concrete goals to end the series with. One think I don't like too much on Direwolf's LPs is how they start to drag on. The Yogscast videos have themes for most of their MineCraft videos now. That helps keep my interest despite how bad they are at MC. Another thing I think helps them is the varity of games the play now. It helps break it up a bit.

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I was thinking that too that's why I setup my own server tonight. I can play in the world and all but I have been trying to figure out how to add mods to it without changing the other saves I have in my vanilla folder. I think I have it figured out finally thought so we'll see hehe

Azziane_sl

shitlord
One thing you may want to think about in a MineCraft LP is some concrete goals to end the series with. One think I don't like too much on Direwolf's LPs is how they start to drag on. The Yogscast videos have themes for most of their MineCraft videos now. That helps keep my interest despite how bad they are at MC. Another thing I think helps them is the varity of games the play now. It helps break it up a bit.
Specific goal - something that has not been done - is a must. There are tons of options out there besides the bigger names (Yogs, Direwolf20 etc..). Most of them are just guys with shitty audio dicking around for 2 episodes bringing nothing to anyone. Minecraft is quite popular as a LP platform. You should probably think about "why would a stranger even click that link in the first place". To be honest I did not because I did not see a reason why. I realize you asked people to click to give feedback but I don't think I would have anything useful to say. I can tell you why I did not click and maybe that's constructive:

1)The OP description does not tell me what you're doing in your LP. Is it a megaproject? A mod showcase? A mod megaproject? Or just a guy dicking around in a game? The latter could be ok but then you gotta bring something else to the table. Funnies. A group on a multiplayer server with good, fun dynamics. Or a chick that sounds hot.
2)It's on facebook man - which means I'd have to log in. I might be in the minority here but my cookies are disabled. Having to click a link without knowing what's on the other side is already an effort. I might just be lazy but I think web designers around will back me up on this. I think you should have an alternate link on Youtube.

But then again I'd probably also check how much footage is up before I clicked. Watching a let's play is an investment of time on my part. It's not just a cool 10 minutes video. I need to know the series did not already die 3 episodes in.

So I'd say:
1)Youtube
2)Specific goal/project
3)Hot chick?
4)Time
5)$$$