Hero's Song by John Smedley - ARPG/MMO Lite

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I think he asked for 800k because that is how much it is going to cost to finish the game.

If he doesn't get it from the kickstarter then he likely already has plans to get it from somewhere else. The KS is just free money and advertising.
Yeah, pretty much.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If he doesn't get it from the kickstarter then he likely already has plans to get it from somewhere else. The KS is just free money and advertising.
Rule #1. Never take anything he says at face value, especially in relation to budgets, features and release dates. He can't help himself.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Rule #1. Never take anything he says at face value, especially in relation to budgets, features and release dates. He can't help himself.
I actually completely take him at face value on all those things you listed and he has a track record to back that faith up.

His problem in in regards to sales projections in that was never able to produce a hit equal to EQ.

One hit wonder disease was his problem.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I actually completely take him at face value on all those things you listed and he has a track record to back that faith up.
Please show me that track record of keeping projects within budget, shipping feature complete based on PR announces of those features. Release dates? Sure thing. Anyone can hit a release date when you cut 30% of the content out of an expansion or release and patch the shit out of it later after it has already been over budget.
rolleyes.png

Siddar

Please show me that track record of keeping projects within budget, shipping feature complete based on PR announces of those features. Release dates? Sure thing. Anyone can hit a release date when you cut 30% of the content out of an expansion or release and patch the shit out of it later after it has already been over budget.
rolleyes.png
It would be easier if you made a list of games he made where he didn't.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Why would he invest his money when a mechanism exists that allows him to try to raise the money with little or no risk?
I thought I pointed out asking for money one can invest themselves shows a clear lack of faith.

So thats why. "hey guys this is gonna rock, its why i fund this shit myself and you can subscribe for free beta access! We are taking donations for alpha access!"

The "create your own content and server" is the in-game equivalent of this. Its pretty hilarious to expect consumers to pre-finance your game while also designing the content and hosting servers

while having 8 bit gfx

is the sound track going to be 8-bit, or can players create their own tunes through the 30$ DLC midi creator?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
rolleyes.png
How many EQ expansions were shipped unfinished? A lot.

Siddar

Was there ever a budget a official release date and announcement of canceled features?

If the complaint was he released unfinished unpolished games then I would tend to agree. But the original statement was over budget, late, missing promised features. Those charges don't really apply to any objective look at Smedly's record.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Those charges don't really apply to any objective look at Smedly's record.
To be fair, Smed had a lot to handle, and the devs fed him smoke. I remember he told me once that the devs of his game fed him a lot of BS. They'd say things were handled, but they weren't. I remember in DCUO, we were in a chain email on hacking. The Head CS was bragging about instant detection of hackers, and how they enhanced it to screen out all cheaters. I told them that it was funny, because I was hacking at the time of the email, just to see if they'd actually gotten rid of it like they said. The Head of CS never responded to another email of mine again after that.

Long story short: at one point in time, there were so many projects and devs, that it was almost impossible to keep up with who is telling the truth about finished/unfinished content. And he'd have to do actual business things, like fly to Japan for meetings.

The place has definitely gone downhill after DBG took over.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They have to act like a normal company and find capital instead of fleecing customers risk-free.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Not that I care really but - at least they are thinking small instead of trying for another home run?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So small a man with 20M net worth could fund it himself? See this is where it's difficult to find the 'positive' in these types of KS campaigns.

With games lately it's either so big it's a pyramid scheme, raping investors or avoiding the SEC OR it's small enough that they should just be making the damn thing on their own and selling it if it's sooooo good. I really am starting to loathe KS lately despite the occasional reasonable campaign you might find on there.

Sneeto

Golden Squire
I might be crazy, but I like what I've seen. Would be fun to Co Op with a few friends and explore it, hopefully it'll have enough depth for replay. It could also equally go horribly wrong and be a disaster. Guess we'll find out!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't actually dislike the concept, just the fact that it's being done scumming for cash.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Was there ever a budget a official release date and announcement of canceled features?

If the complaint was he released unfinished unpolished games then I would tend to agree. But the original statement was over budget, late, missing promised features. Those charges don't really apply to any objective look at Smedly's record.
Was it last year or the year before he announced H1Z1 beta access in four weeks and still no sign of it six months later ?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So small a man with 20M net worth could fund it himself? See this is where it's difficult to find the 'positive' in these types of KS campaigns.

With games lately it's either so big it's a pyramid scheme, raping investors or avoiding the SEC OR it's small enough that they should just be making the damn thing on their own and selling it if it's sooooo good. I really am starting to loathe KS lately despite the occasional reasonable campaign you might find on there.
Isn't the first rule of investing to use other people's money?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea but those other people usually get something out of the risk instead of a copy of a video game. Go ask some VC for money, only you aren't going to give them a stake in the company, just some inventory from early production runs and see how that goes.