Hip-Hop/Rap thread

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, so I have a hip hop question that I feel gets asked a lot but at least google and reddit searches haven't really yielded me a ton of fitting results.

I have a hard time expressing what it is about a hip hop album that does it for me in comparison to other genres (I could you tell you exactly why I like Rosetta better than Russian Circles as an example, but post-metal is also my favorite genre).

Anyway, I really love Run the Jewels and I think the biggest reason why is just how entertained I am by the beats throughout. That isn't to say I don't enjoy Mike and El-P...I do. I like El-P's lyrics and flow and I love Mike's aggression, but I really think it's the beats that turned 2 into one of my favorite albums.

My favorite hip hop album ever is by an underground artist up here in Mpls. Rebel Yellow by Cecil Otter. He might as well be rapping over indie rock songs, so it isn't surprising to me to have myself hear 2, be really caught by the production, end up attached to the composition of the songs, and not be able to put it down.

So, what else is out there in modern day hip hop that compares?

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
This is the only video on the internet that has good audio quality. The song means nothing if the boom ain't right.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
Ok, so I have a hip hop question that I feel gets asked a lot but at least google and reddit searches haven't really yielded me a ton of fitting results.

I have a hard time expressing what it is about a hip hop album that does it for me in comparison to other genres (I could you tell you exactly why I like Rosetta better than Russian Circles as an example, but post-metal is also my favorite genre).

Anyway, I really love Run the Jewels and I think the biggest reason why is just how entertained I am by the beats throughout. That isn't to say I don't enjoy Mike and El-P...I do. I like El-P's lyrics and flow and I love Mike's aggression, but I really think it's the beats that turned 2 into one of my favorite albums.

My favorite hip hop album ever is by an underground artist up here in Mpls. Rebel Yellow by Cecil Otter. He might as well be rapping over indie rock songs, so it isn't surprising to me to have myself hear 2, be really caught by the production, end up attached to the composition of the songs, and not be able to put it down.

So, what else is out there in modern day hip hop that compares?

I can't really put my finger on it either, but I know exactly what you mean. Including the post-metal thing, haha. There is a weird divide in production/beats from what I'd consider indie rappers vs mainstream.. like they're not made to be danceable? and usually give me that chilled out feeling. It's odd, I can't explain it much better than that.

Also love Cecil Otter a lot.