Hmmm...

Jessika

Peasant
Would it be more frightening to discover that humans are the most advanced species in the universe or that we are far from being the most advanced species in the universe?

• 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
That we are. It would imply some very negative things about the longevity of technological life. Compare that to the existential threat of being annhiliated by a more advanced species.

The only way it would be less horrible is it we were not only the most advanced, but also the first. Odds on that seem pretty long, but it's a bald ignorant guess.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Thread title needs work.

As for the question: The latter. Advanced aliens have no reason to let us live if they discovered us and every reason to exterminate us as we would a virus. The former is inconsequential unless you feel the universe has meaning (it doesn't) and that we're as good as that meaning gets.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This should just merge into the paranormal and ancient civ thread.

The latter I guess. Not really frightened of either, I have 0-40 years left, finding out either way is just interesting to me, not really scary. I suppose alien life could come kill us but if they’re that advanced why the fuck would they? We aren’t much of a threat to anything off this planet and likely won’t ever be, other than maybe polluting Mars someday, and that’s pretty inconsequential.

If some species has figured out interstellar travel they have trillions of trillions of stars and planets to discover, or conquer or whatever. Don’t think they’d give a shit about our small rock that we’ve depelteted a lot of resources from already. There’s near infinite amount of better places to farm than us.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Would it be more frightening to discover that humans are the most advanced species in the universe or that we are far from being the most advanced species in the universe?

With how human civilization (civilization, not species) is so close to destroying itself, I'd say the former is more frightening.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
With how human civilization (civilization, not species) is so close to destroying itself, I'd say the former is more frightening.

Any species that needs outside help to prevent its self-destruction isn't worth saving.

-

also, this is highly topical and is a must-watch for anyone that likes this topic and isn't familiar with it:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Any species that needs outside help to prevent its self-destruction isn't worth saving.

That's not what I was getting at. Was more thinking that, if the former, then us being close to destruction is even sadder because it means that not only is the only advanced civilization on the planet close to collapse, but then also the only advanced civilization in the UNIVERSE is close to collapse. Much, much more tragic.

Also, didn't watch that video, but I assume it goes into the ideas of Nick Bostrom, who is A+ on the subject of the great filter, so props for knowing about it. If you haven't read it, read his paper "In the great silence, there is great hope".

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That's not what I was getting at. Was more thinking that, if the former, then us being close to destruction is even sadder because it means that not only is the only advanced civilization on the planet close to collapse, but then also the only advanced civilization in the UNIVERSE is close to collapse. Much, much more tragic.

Would it matter? The value of the universe is relative. If we're gone, or at our apex, then what does it matter? If there are aliens, then why would we care that the universe or its remaining inhabitants are losing its most advanced denizens? It only really matters if you attribute some sort of higher power/higher concept to the universe to give it meaning on its own, but even then it would be on a scale so massive that it would be completely indifferent to such things.

We are tiny and insignificant and our entire existence will pass with no more significance to the universe than a spec of dust in the distance in your peripheral vision will. It can be a scary thing to conceptualize, but also a pretty comforting thing. If nothing matters: Why worry?

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Would it matter? The value of the universe is relative. If we're gone, or at our apex, then what does it matter? If there are aliens, then why would we care that the universe or its remaining inhabitants are losing its most advanced denizens? It only really matters if you attribute some sort of higher power/higher concept to the universe to give it meaning on its own, but even then it would be on a scale so massive that it would be completely indifferent to such things.

We are tiny and insignificant and our entire existence will pass with no more significance to the universe than a spec of dust in the distance in your peripheral vision will. It can be a scary thing to conceptualize, but also a pretty comforting thing. If nothing matters: Why worry?

also, see recent Atheism vs. Theism posts for why this sort of nihilism is an issue, regardless of whether you're atheist or theist.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
also, see recent Atheism vs. Theism posts for why this sort of nihilism is an issue, regardless of whether you're atheist or theist.

I don't discuss religion, and have never had any interest in doing so since I figured my place out on the spectrum of belief when I was a kid. To each their own, and I leave it at that. I only have an interest in this particular stuff due to its relation to science, alien life, and the finite nature of the universe.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
IMG_20181207_235316.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
If you want to be utterly objective, sure it doesn't matter. If you want to be utterly subjective it also doesn't matter. We all die anyway so who cares is where both lead.

I can't be either one though. For me intelligence itself is a value.

It doesn't have to be our intelligence, human intelligence. But it's sad to think of existence without any sort of intelligence to appreciate that existence. There are acceptable subjective biases.

• 2Like