Hobbies thread (With pics!)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
After a particularly aggravating game of league and reading the thread about losing interest in gaming in the MMORPG forum, I thought I would start a thread about other hobbies everyone does.

Please share what you all are into during your down time...even though most of us don't get much of that anymore.

Here's a couple of mine. The carvings are done from bone, all of these are just from some bleached cow bone I got at a pet store. I have also done a few out of coyote bone I found in the desert, but it's really hard to find material that isn't deteriorated too much already.
I usually use a dremel, but have also done a few with just hand tools.

I don't have any pictures of 100% done pieces as I usually give them away before I think about taking a picture. The fishhook one was given to a friend. The grooves you can see on it I ended up dying dark blue with some ink and epoxy. The tree I copied from something I found on google....I still haven't even started the roots on it.
rrr_img_52000.jpg
rrr_img_52001.jpg

Here's a really shitty video of one of my other random hobbies. I ended up trashing everything in this tank because I didn't like the waterfall I made. All the moss and everything was just a handful of shit from the back yard I threw in there to test out the ultrasonic humidifier I just got.

Terrarium in progress - YouTube<---feel free to edit in the youtube player. I don't know how the hell to do it.

I just moved...again...about a month ago, so I don't have any of this stuff with me yet, but I'll try to get some shots of completed projects soon.

Please share!

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sometimes when I'm alone at night working on my computer it sounds like the noise from my case fan combined with the noise from my fan that I use normally are making voices. It sounds like children talking in a lunchroom to each other. Sometimes I'll make up scenarios where the kids are making fun of a chubbier kid and whenever some louder variant from the fan comes over I pretend it's a teacher interjecting to stop the altercation.

Other times it sounds like whispering, like someone's trying to relay a message to me, but it's almost nearly unintelligible most of the times. I've looked around on the internet to see if anyone shares this hobby with me but it seems like I'm the only one, it's pretty therapeutic. My doctor told me it was good to pick up hobbies so I figured I'd give this one a try, I'm kind of afraid to tell him about it I don't want him to make me stop. Sometimes it feels like the children playing in the lunchroom are the only happiness I have left.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
Sometimes when I'm alone at night working on my computer it sounds like the noise from my case fan combined with the noise from my fan that I use normally are making voices. It sounds like children talking in a lunchroom to each other. Sometimes I'll make up scenarios where the kids are making fun of a chubbier kid and whenever some louder variant from the fan comes over I pretend it's a teacher interjecting to stop the altercation.

Other times it sounds like whispering, like someone's trying to relay a message to me, but it's almost nearly unintelligible most of the times. I've looked around on the internet to see if anyone shares this hobby with me but it seems like I'm the only one, it's pretty therapeutic. My doctor told me it was good to pick up hobbies so I figured I'd give this one a try, I'm kind of afraid to tell him about it I don't want him to make me stop. Sometimes it feels like the children playing in the lunchroom are the only happiness I have left.
A mental break is not a hobby.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

I think you should go watchthis, fella

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Someone needs to show off their model train set. I know one of you nerds has a couple Santa Fe's in the basement.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Someone needs to show off their model train set. I know one of you nerds has a couple Santa Fe's in the basement.
Mine's been packed up at the parent's place since I was 16 or so. Shit was too expensive, had to give it up as a hobby. I had a fairly neat track setup, but not much for terrain, buildings and the like. When I retire it's probably something I'll get back in to, shit is fun as hell.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Leather is about $6.50 a sqft for the economy stuff. When I sell stuff I have to charge a bit for it. Making one-offs for people has been quite fun.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Father passed his Lionel stuff on to me which includes the Santa Fe Locomotives from mid 50's. I flipped my shit when I found out my mother tossed out 2 ZW 275 watt transformers from the 50's. Still losing sleep over that. I don't have a setup yet, as I'm really just getting back into it after 20+ years, but will put out a small display around the Christmas tree.Will take a few shots.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Leather is about $6.50 a sqft for the economy stuff. When I sell stuff I have to charge a bit for it. Making one-offs for people has been quite fun.
How did you get in to leatherworking? A magazine, book from Barnes and Noble? I wouldnt know where to start

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Try out Joannes or some other arts and crafts store, they've usually got hundreds of books on hobbies. That would probably be the easiest way to start. At least that's how I learned to decompose the neighbor's dog's corpse.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I learned corpse disposal from Oddities and Breaking Bad, looking for hobbies to fill the time in between.

How did you get in to leatherworking? A magazine, book from Barnes and Noble? I wouldnt know where to start
Depends on what type of leather working you want to get into. Tandy Leather has some nice vids on stuff like dying, sewing, and molding leather. If you hunt for it on google videos, you can find some other good how-to vids. One in particular, I remember, was very good tutorial on molding friction knife sheath. Here:Making a Spyderco Friction Sheath (75 minutes, HD) - YouTube

Tandy leather YouTube series

Automotive leather working is a little more difficult to get into. Upholsters want to keep their trade secrets and all that.

The Hog Ringis the best website I found for auto tips, otherwise I sorted through many a video.

I haven't actually done anything with the raw leather stuff that Tandy sells, but it looks easy enough; just messy. I have done some car upholstery items for my car with varying success. The mistakes are rather costly, but I didn't feel like hunting for cheep upholstery grade leather to practice on.

I wont have my gaming computer (picture database) back up and running for at least a week, so I cant post any pics, if anyone was interested in such.