Hollow Knight - Metroidvania meets Dark Souls

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Salt and sanctuary is a far superior game, how mapping works combined with level layouts is frustrating to the point of not being fun.
The challenge and just about everything else is great, traversing the same areas over and over for no other reason than you missed that one spot that leads to progress ruins it for me.

Ready I really like the game but the mapping and quick travel makes me want to punch someone in the dick.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I picked this up a while ago, but just now got back into and I'm loving the game. I do agree that the mapping is a bit annoying. Being able to leave notes on the map would help immensely. Other than that, though, the art/atmosphere and overall gameplay is very fun.

Caliane

ha yeah. I just started this a few days ago as well. My first thoughts having now explored 3-4 zones, was also directed right at the mapping system. Very annoying. I'll have explored 2/3rds or more of the zone, and not have the map yet. dumb.

I don't feel it, or the save points were all that well laid out. savepoints are not in super convenient locations. long stretches. easy to miss savepoints, etc. Are the signposts good, or evidence of poor layout, that they NEED signposts?
art design is ok. but, I do feel areas within a zone are fairly repetitive. one screenshot will look like any other. play super metroid, and any give room is immediately identifiable.

side note. I am kindof tired of so many games with bad endings. why do so many indie games these days have melancholic endings?

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
According to Steam the free DLC update due this month will have improved fast travel.

Pretty much echo what everyone else has said about atmosphere, art, music and characters.

Fucking Dung Defender made me lol, best boss. DOMA DOMA DOMA!

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
^ This. Steam controller is the worst piece of hardware I've ever owned. Even in metroidvanias that don't really use the right "stick" for anything, it's still garbage because the face buttons are too small and their placement is retarded. DS4 will pair to it and work perfectly.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'd recommend getting an xbox controller simply because that is what all the games will reference. Granted it isn't that difficult to know the mappings of DS face buttons to Xbox face buttons but the games will still tell you "Press Y."

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Xbox Elite controller is worth every penny if you game a lot on your PC.

Vorph

I'd recommend getting an xbox controller simply because that is what all the games will reference. Granted it isn't that difficult to know the mappings of DS face buttons to Xbox face buttons but the games will still tell you "Press Y."
Problem there is that MS insists on not using Bluetooth so you have to buy their USB dongle for Windows (or a controller that comes with one) and plug it into the Steam Link, or else use it wired. To me that's a lot more pain in the ass than remembering ABXY. Only time I fuck that up is when I've been playing Nintendo stuff.

Plus now that Steam has native support for DS4, most new games have Sony button prompts anyway.

Tenks

Maybe I don't have my DS4 set up right but I'm pretty sure I do. I have never gotten Sony button prompts. It always shows the xbox mappings. Which games show Sony faces?

Vorph

Well... Hollow Knight for one. :D If you go to a vendor you should see X and O instead of A and B, etc. And Shadow Tactics is another good example--it knew that the active gamepad was a DS4 and automatically set the button prompts accordingly without me having to do anything.

Some other games, like Salt & Sanctuary, you can change it manually in settings. But I'm pretty sure that defaulted to PS4 icons too.

Bottom line is any Steam game developed in the last year or so should be using the Steam Controller API which automatically detects the controller being used and sets button prompts accordingly. Unless the developer is so lazy that they copy over the Xbox ones rather than making additional sets, it's one of those things that just works.

Last edited:

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Well... Hollow Knight for one. :D If you go to a vendor you should see X and O instead of A and B, etc. And Shadow Tactics is another good example--it knew that the active gamepad was a DS4 and automatically set the button prompts accordingly without me having to do anything.

Some other games, like Salt & Sanctuary, you can change it manually in settings. But I'm pretty sure that defaulted to PS4 icons too.

Bottom line is any Steam game developed in the last year or so should be using the Steam Controller API which automatically detects the controller being used and sets button prompts accordingly. Unless the developer is so lazy that they copy over the Xbox ones rather than making additional sets, it's one of those things that just works.
I mean, it's not necessarily "laziness." The DS4 was only very recently (last fall?) officially supported for PC use and therefore mostly pointless to support and integrate into PC games.

Vorph

I mean, it's not necessarily "laziness." The DS4 was only very recently (last fall?) officially supported for PC use and therefore mostly pointless to support and integrate into PC games.
Right, I was talking about games developed with the Steam Controller API somehow not having DS4 button prompts. Lazy would be deciding to use custom buttons, like Hollow Knight's monochrome ones, and then copying the ABXY ones over to the Sony section instead of making a custom set there too.

I haven't actually seen anyone do this, I was mostly just saying that it's highly unlikely that any game that uses Steam Controller API (which should be most Steamworks games going forward) won't have the correct buttons for MS/Sony/Steam controllers.

Tenks

Thanks for the heads up Vorph. I just assumed this was something I was going to just live with. Sounds like it'll get fixed. Hollow Knight may have actually told me correctly but the monochrome image threw me off. I'm now thinking it did say "Hold O to heal"

Vorph

Most common cause for seeing ABXY with a DS4 in Steam is having DS4Windows loaded and the Hide DS4 Controller checkbox checked. Uncheck that or shut down DS4W entirely and it should go away. You might have to unplug the controller and plug it back in, or re-pair if using Bluetooth. DS4W is still necessary for a lot of things (even PS4 Remote Play, strangely) though, so I tend to leave it running all the time. I just never check that box--the last time I can remember it being needed for anything was Saints Row 2.

I also recommend turning off the thing in DS4W that makes the touchpad behave like a mouse. Steam games that use the controller API tend to use the touchpad exactly like the game would on a PS4 so you don't want it behaving like a mouse when you touch it. It messes up Remote Play too.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Took awhile to download as the eShop is getting slammed from Fortnite. Seems to be 60fps. All the DLC.

Definitely worth 15$ if you haven't played it yet - was one of my favorite games of 2017.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Can't believe I'm just now finally getting to this, but I picked it up on PS instead of steam. This game is just so cool. Great atmosphere, funny characters, all within the bug/insect theme. Good stuff.

I'm not that far in, have killed a couple bosses and got the first two traversal abilities (dash and wall jump/climb), but I can't wait to play more. I haven't noticed the mapping issues that were talked about, but that might have to do with the version I'm playing being the latest after all patches/additions.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Can't believe I'm just now finally getting to this, but I picked it up on PS instead of steam. This game is just so cool. Great atmosphere, funny characters, all within the bug/insect theme. Good stuff.

I'm not that far in, have killed a couple bosses and got the first two traversal abilities (dash and wall jump/climb), but I can't wait to play more. I haven't noticed the mapping issues that were talked about, but that might have to do with the version I'm playing being the latest after all patches/additions.
It’s easily one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user