Home buying thread

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I paid 350$ for 2500 sq ft. My bill says it’s 322% higher than similar nearby homes. Do these power meters need an electrician to install?

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I keep two window units in the shop and put them in quickly to run off the generator if we have long term outagess. Sometimes a hurricane but once a straight line wind of 70+ mph over a 70 mile length which put a lot of trees down on the power lines. Good enough for a bedroom and one other small room. Never looked into a mini split.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I paid 350$ for 2500 sq ft. My bill says it’s 322% higher than similar nearby homes. Do these power meters need an electrician to install?
I cant for the life of me understand why some peoples bills are so high. But some bills are high for a reason, like my parents.

My parents house is somewhere between 2500 and 3k sq/ft and they pay ~520 a month. But my mom is a kook and her and my pops, do collectively, dumb shit. She has dedicated herself to raising chickens in her retirement. Thinking "Ill save some money on these expensive ass eggs!" and then puts a heating coil out there, a motion sensor camera for foxes, some kind of heat lamp, etc. Then, when we updated the kitchen - she wanted the fancy monogram shit with a paneled fridge. What did we do with the Fridge they got a couple years ago? It replaced the one in the basement. What did we do with the one in the basement? Moved it to the screened in back porch. There is enough beer between the basement and back porch, that if I was a teenager still living there, it would take me a week to go through all of it. But the fact is, thats three fucking refrigerators running that dont need to be. Never mind the two fake fire places they have that are essentially a TV Screen built onto an electric Heater. The one in the spare bedroom gets used as a way to dry off after playing in the lake.

The funniest part that makes me feel like a kook? When I come stay the night, they dont want the A/C down too low because it'll raise the power bill. You fucking boomers, man.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I cant for the life of me understand why some peoples bills are so high. But some bills are high for a reason, like my parents.

My parents house is somewhere between 2500 and 3k sq/ft and they pay ~520 a month. But my mom is a kook and her and my pops, do collectively, dumb shit. She has dedicated herself to raising chickens in her retirement. Thinking "Ill save some money on these expensive ass eggs!" and then puts a heating coil out there, a motion sensor camera for foxes, some kind of heat lamp, etc. Then, when we updated the kitchen - she wanted the fancy monogram shit with a paneled fridge. What did we do with the Fridge they got a couple years ago? It replaced the one in the basement. What did we do with the one in the basement? Moved it to the screened in back porch. There is enough beer between the basement and back porch, that if I was a teenager still living there, it would take me a week to go through all of it. But the fact is, thats three fucking refrigerators running that dont need to be. Never mind the two fake fire places they have that are essentially a TV Screen built onto an electric Heater. The one in the spare bedroom gets used as a way to dry off after playing in the lake.

The funniest part that makes me feel like a kook? When I come stay the night, they dont want the A/C down too low because it'll raise the power bill. You fucking boomers, man.
sounds like you should invest in a sense monitor

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Boomers are ineffecient and wasteful retards, lulz.

Apart from being insulting, it seems like most boomers stopped learning in 2000 and don't take advantage of most tech available to them bc too hard to understand.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Different reasons but stupid shit on that level is part of why I rarely associate with my parents. Because we just fight when I point out bullshit.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That's not boomer stuff, it's just not caring enough or thinking it through. My dad always min/maxxed the shit out of all the energy/food/etc bills. Still does.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Admittedly I paid a variable rate on my gas for three months before I "had the time" to investigate how to renew my previous rate. Probably ended up overpaying $150 over the course of that time. ::rustled::

So, I guess I do stupid lazy shit too, lol.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I dont run gas or ac at all which is why my high power bill makes no sense. I do run the fan from the hvac a lot , is that a big power guzzle?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I dont run gas or ac at all which is why my high power bill makes no sense. I do run the fan from the hvac a lot , is that a big power guzzle?
this is for my nashville .12c kwh
a66f102483f993c55ea1e1420577009c.png

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't know how some people do it either. I've always worked at home in the office behind the house on the same meter. Kept the house cool all the time since I was in and out. 2,300 sq. ft. house which is not that large, but built in 1960. Always hearing from people how their power bill is more than double mine. I also run a lot of equipment like a lathe, mill, and welding machines. No idea.

Of course I remember when my parents first got cable and the installer said he would visit some peoples homes and they would have a pay per view going in one room and buy it again in the other room and then someone else would have another going at the same time. Not electricity but same kind of deal.