Home buying thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The other thing with FSBO is there are now flat rate and mass market realtors that will give you the useful benefits of a realtor without the cost as long as you can stand to lose some of the "wonderful" personal service. I'd go with one of those rather than FSBO at this point only to expedite and streamline the process at nominal expense.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Zestimate is terrible, just ignore it. Doesn't mean the rest of the site is bad, it has pretty good filtering, search and save tools in a decent interface. For the app at least

Vinen

God is dead
Zestimate is terrible, just ignore it. Doesn't mean the rest of the site is bad, it has pretty good filtering, search and save tools in a decent interface. For the app at least
Compared to Redfin Zillow is complete shit in terms of UX.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I get emails about it raising every week, then every year they revise the formula and bump it back down to it's approximate value.

They'll adjust their historic zestimates as well, mine was at like 56k when it was a foreclosure and I have emails stating that, but when I look at the chart on the website it never gets close to that.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Compared to Redfin Zillow is complete shit in terms of UX.
Redfin definitely has more detailed info and demographics than Zillow does, but Zillow gets a LOT more traffic. If you are selling a home, you want it listed on Zillow, it will be seen much, much more. Zillow gets about 160 million visits per month, Redfin is about 25 million

Vinen

God is dead
Redfin definitely has more detailed info and demographics than Zillow does, but Zillow gets a LOT more traffic. If you are selling a home, you want it listed on Zillow, it will be seen much, much more. Zillow gets about 160 million visits per month, Redfin is about 25 million
Redfin isn't in all markets. It's not a good comparison.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Alright after using RedFin for a bit more I'm liking how I can more easily see the overall perspective of the homes for sale in an area. Their list-view is far and above better than Zillow or Realtor. I also like when I search for a single family home it, for the most part, shows me single family homes. With Realtor and Zillow half of the shit would still be condos and townhomes.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The other thing with FSBO is there are now flat rate and mass market realtors that will give you the useful benefits of a realtor without the cost as long as you can stand to lose some of the "wonderful" personal service. I'd go with one of those rather than FSBO at this point only to expedite and streamline the process at nominal expense.
When my parents sold their two houses on FSBOBR.COM that was a running thread that the people looking were tired of dealing with real estate agents.

Tenks

Home selling question in the home buying thread. Most sites say to estimate ~6% commission on the sale. It seems 3% buying agent 3% listing agent. But my friend sold his house and negotiated down to just 1.5%. I assume that means the people buying didn't have a buying agent?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Usually that happens when the buyer and seller's agents know a sale is going to fall through because of demands on price concessions that the buyer/seller are refusing to meet. So the agents take a smaller cut in commission to prevent the sale from falling through.

I've never heard of someone just outright negotiating lower commission prices but it's certainly possible as well.

Tenks

His was outright. He said the realtor agreed since he lived in the neighborhood so he wouldn't have to drive around for the open house or meeting people for showings. He did sell the house incredibly quick but my friend was motivated so the house was under priced.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Makes sense, he was basically being handed money and had to do almost no work.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Trying to buy a house. I don't think I've ever dealt with a shadier organization that the lot of shifty ass listing agents we've been dealing with.

Latest situation: we inform the listing agent I'll be doing a VA loan. He verbally acknowledges the exterior paint and siding will need to some repairs and touch ups for the VA appraisal, but to make and offer because we can get the deal done no problem. Make an offer, pay for an inspection, give our list of repairs including mostly shit like the exterior paint and siding that he already acknowledged would have to be done for the VA to be willing to close. Their counter offer is a bunch of petty shit we didn't ask them to do like tighten a ceiling fan and putting tip-prevention straps on the stove.... and a refusal to do any of the repairs the VA will require, like the fucking exterior paint and siding the listing agent acknowledged and seemed amenable to before we put in an offer and paid for the inspection.

And that's just the latest shenanigans. First, we were shown a house twice and encouraged to put in an offer and then told there was actually a cash buyer all along but negotiations had gotten messy, meaning they were just using our interest as a bargaining chip with a current buyer and sorta hiding the fact they were kinda verbally under contract.

Then we were told there were no offers on a house and we'd been the only people to see it. We got an offer in 3 hours later, still told there were no offers and nobody had else had even seen it. First thing the next morning the offer is rejected because the agent said they already had an offer on the house, meaning they had an offer all along, probably a personal friend or some shit, and just wanted to see our offer but didn't want to tell us so we could add in an escalation clause (which we would have).

Also had a house we offered full listing, most of closing... and they came back with weird demands, like asking for an additional month and a half to close "for personal reasons" and other stupid shit they could have easily disclosed before we wrote up an offer. The house wasn't that nice, so we just walked without a counter to avoid what seemed like drama, and several shit inspections later they finally seemed to have to take a lower offer than ours.

Don't know if it's just dumb luck, a string of incompetence or a bunch of criminal masterminds, but at this point my impression of the entire industry is pretty low (and I deal with lawyers all day).

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Welcome to sales. Enjoy your stay!
Thought it would go smoother than this. VA loan, several pre-approval letters and bank just waiting to pull the trigger, repeatedly offering full list price and only asking for repairs required to close on the VA loan. Thought it would be a takemymoney.gif but turning out to be more like a broken fedortuckedpenis.gfycat.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think they make it so painful so you dont give a shit how much money you're getting fucked out of you just want the suffering to end.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
When I sold my house, the listing agent made me sign something saying I would not consider more than 1 offer at a time. Basically, I couldn't take backups to bolster my position during negotiations. Not sure if that was a law or an ethics thing, but I tried to not sign it and he insisted. But as it turned out, 3 offers came in one weekend while I was in the woods where my cell phone doesn't work. So we informed them all there were multiple offers, gave a cutoff time and told them to bring their best offers. I had to reject 2 and negotiate on the best one. I wanted to negotiate with 2 of them.

In my experience, the mortgage brokers are the shadiest motherfuckers out there. None of my agents ever tried to make me buy more house than I felt I could afford. The one mortgage person I dealt with who wasn't a friend of the family pulled every high pressure sales tactic he could to make me spend more.