Home buying thread

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
This thread is moving away from discussion about buying a home and into the realm of good and bad public policy. Might want to separate the two.....

Vinen

God is dead
This thread is moving away from discussion about buying a home and into the realm of good and bad public policy. Might want to separate the two.....
Gotta agree. We need a mod to break the thread from when welfare exploitation boy posted until now.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No we don't need to split the thread. That discussion is over unless you still have a hard-on for him?

Rental properties should go into another thread so feel free to start one if you want to keep discussing it.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm all settled down with my 5/5 arm. I'm wondering on my additional payment if i should apply it every month or put it into a savings account or investment account and then just apply 1 large payment at the end of the 5 year period. Would there be a difference?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm all settled down with my 5/5 arm. I'm wondering on my additional payment if i should apply it every month or put it into a savings account or investment account and then just apply 1 large payment at the end of the 5 year period. Would there be a difference?
I'm no amortization expert, but I think that yes, it would matter. Precisely because of Amortization. I'll defer to the experts on that though.

Vinen

God is dead
I'm no expert either but I think you'd want to pay it up front.

Think of it like a down-payment.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Just depends on whether you'd make more interest in the investment account than you'd pay in the ARM...

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
You need to look at your loan documents. Since your ARM is fully amortized more than likely there is no automatic re amortization when you make extra principle payments nor is your lender obligated to do so. You can always ask but they can just say no. Like I said though you need to look at your loan docs as I don't work for PenFed and I don't know for sure.

Making extra principle payments regardless will shorten the lifespan of the loan and save you a ton of money so its a smart thing to do.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
It has to reamortize at the end of 5 years doesn't it?
They don't reamortize they just adjust the interest rate. So the payment will go up or down to cover the increased interest over the same term paying off at the same time.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
It has to reamortize at the end of 5 years doesn't it?
No, your loan is amortized from day 1 and the payment just adjust based on your new interest rate regardless of the principle balance. The only loan where re-amortization is common is interest only loans and funnily enough they are gaining in popularity due to the flexibility after being demonized the last couple of years.

Picasso3

"The note holder will then determine the amount of the monthly payment that would be sufficient to repay the unpaid principal that i am expected to owe at the change date in full on the maturity date at my new interest rate in substantially equal payment. The result of this calculation will be the new amount of my monthly payment.

Payments the same for 5 years then they recalc based on principal left and 25 years to pay it off at new interest rate sounds to me like.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
"The note holder will then determine the amount of the monthly payment that would be sufficient to repay the unpaid principal that i am expected to owe at the change date in full on the maturity date at my new interest rate in substantially equal payment. The result of this calculation will be the new amount of my monthly payment.

Payments the same for 5 years then they recalc based on principal left and 25 years to pay it off at new interest rate sounds to me like.
As I said, that's why you need to check your loan docs. Good to know.

Picasso3

That being said. How would two scenarios pan out where I do an additional 200 a month on one and on the other kept it in a savings account. Does the loan interest calculate every month based on the remaining balance so the only difference would be if I could get a higher interest than 2.6 on an investment account?

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
You have a set amortization schedule that only adjusts every 5 years per your loan docs. Whatever you decide to do nothing will change until your interest rate is recast and your loan is re-amortized, your monthly payment during these first 5 years isn't affected whatsoever. You're just making accelerated principle payments, your interest isn't changing nor is the interest your incuring anything different as everything is based on your original principle balance until the loan recasts.

Kaita

Golden Squire
I purchased a new home in October and requested a home warranty from the sellers. They bought a 1yr policy for $390 from HSA. This week my hot water heater was acting up (Its 28yrs old...) I called HSA in the morning and a plumber was here by lunch and said it needs to be replaced. I paid my $100 deductible, they paid for the replacement water heater and the installation. Defiantly satisfied with the outcome.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Defiantly satisfied.

rrr_img_58612.jpg