Home buying thread

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Bro don't play me like that!

Anyways, just got a call and sounds like buyers are open to the refrigerator in lieu of any of the repairs. All the requested was that my HVAC gets maintenanced which is easy since it has always been under a contract and it was about due. They'll be here at 9am.

Still unsure about the close date but at least they're agreeing and not throwing any wrenches at this point. A little slip on close wouldn't kill me anyways, more time to pack and I'm not under the gun to move out. Just puts me behind looking for another house which does kind of suck since there are like 2 a week to view.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Bro don't play me like that!

Anyways, just got a call and sounds like buyers are open to the refrigerator in lieu of any of the repairs. All the requested was that my HVAC gets maintenanced which is easy since it has always been under a contract and it was about due. They'll be here at 9am.

Still unsure about the close date but at least they're agreeing and not throwing any wrenches at this point. A little slip on close wouldn't kill me anyways, more time to pack and I'm not under the gun to move out. Just puts me behind looking for another house which does kind of suck since there are like 2 a week to view.
my bad I was responding then noticed I misread your previous post about the repairs, was just going to suggest what you ended up doing which is to just knock a few grand off and let them deal with the repairs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We just got back from there and have decided we are just going to give up on that dream and buy some farm land here in PA.

Smart move. Living in the mountains is overrated. It's like living close to the beach. Both are nice places to visit but most people don't actually spend enough time doing either to justify the hundreds or thousands of dollars per month it costs to be in those areas rather than just living elsewhere and visiting them for a vacation. With the $1000 a month you will save on your mortgage you can have a hell of a nice vacation every year.

EDIT: Also, a guy I know who builds log houses once told me that a very large percentage of people who move into a log house in the mountains get tired of living in the sticks and move back to the city after a couple of years. Be sure you actually like the lifestyle and not just the romantic idea of it before you get too committed to it. I live in the middle of nowhere and love it but it's not for everyone.

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Smart move. Living in the mountains is overrated. It's like living close to the beach. Both are nice places to visit but most people don't actually spend enough time doing either to justify the hundreds or thousands of dollars per month it costs to be in those areas rather than just living elsewhere and visiting them for a vacation. With the $1000 a month you will save on your mortgage you can have a hell of a nice vacation every year.

EDIT: Also, a guy I know who builds log houses once told me that a very large percentage of people who move into a log house in the mountains get tired of living in the sticks and move back to the city after a couple of years. Be sure you actually like the lifestyle and not just the romantic idea of it before you get too committed to it. I live in the middle of nowhere and love it but it's not for everyone.
Yeah that aspect I’m not worried about, I certainly don’t live in a city now. I’m an obsessive hiker. I hike nearly 2000 thousand miles per year and have been going to the Rockies for over 20 years.

the challenges of living there is more about the expense for what you get plus the difficulty of family. My kids are better served not living somewhere too remote.

Homestead living is a different beast, on a farm in pa I’ll spend more of my time at the property. If I went to Estes most of my time would be spent in RMNP

• 2Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Wife and I have been looking to move from PA to Estes Park in CO for a few years now. The price change since 2017 is just out of this world.
It insane how quickly the prices have gone up in nearly all nice places. It looks like the place I am moving to has a little bit of time before it also gets smashed with people moving in. I'll buy there before that happens, and I wouldn't mind hitting another big RE bounce.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
It insane how quickly the prices have gone up in nearly all nice places. It looks like the place I am moving to has a little bit of time before it also gets smashed with people moving in. I'll buy there before that happens, and I wouldn't mind hitting another big RE bounce.

new homes in the front range went from $260/sq ft in 2015 to $450/sq ft by 2021.

I can build in PA for around $200-220/sq ft which is still cheaper than much of the country.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our sellers left us their nice fridge and range oven
Granted I've only sold once and bought twice, but I didn't know taking appliances was a thing. Although now that I think about it, my mom loved her washer and dryer so much she did take them with her when they sold the house I grew up in...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Granted I've only sold once and bought twice, but I didn't know taking appliances was a thing. Although now that I think about it, my mom loved her washer and dryer so much she did take them with her when they sold the house I grew up in...
what i hated when i was first house hunting was looking at pics, seeing the laundry room, and then i read it and it says "W&D" not included.

like why take the pic then.

the only appliance i'm taking with me is the deep freezer

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It insane how quickly the prices have gone up in nearly all nice places.
The other thing about the "nice" places is they are all getting really crowded. If you can learn to appreciate sagebrush you can have a lot more land for a lot less money and have some actual solitude, not just the type where only 50 cars a day go by your driveway.

Blazin Blazin there is a homesteading thread on this board but it's been dead for a while. It would be interesting to see what you're up to. Kiroy Kiroy has stopped updating.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
what i hated when i was first house hunting was looking at pics, seeing the laundry room, and then i read it and it says "W&D" not included.

like why take the pic then.

the only appliance i'm taking with me is the deep freezer
Likely as a form of staging, so you have an idea of what the space looks like.

Or, in the case of my wife and I, we weren't completely moved out when they took pictures.

I will say W&D is one of those ones I wish we'd have moved with us. Fucking things are crazy expensive now. Furniture too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Likely as a form of staging, so you have an idea of what the space looks like.

Or, in the case of my wife and I, we weren't completely moved out when they took pictures.

I will say W&D is one of those ones I wish we'd have moved with us. Fucking things are crazy expensive now. Furniture too.
Just set up shop in Fort Living Room for the next year until the logistical chain hopefully catches up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
lulz, nashville is crazy, south of it, a totally gutted home is going for 475
a76960c1a2a0491f50c4c252004e767b.png

1,500sq/ft is an apt!

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’ve had to switch to Realtor.com bc Zillow does a terrible job of keeping up with contingent, backups, pending, etc status on houses. My house closes in five days and Zillow still says for sale. Not sure if it is just the way they pull from MLS or a specific strategy of Zillow to drive more views.

That house backs up and is next to a bunch of $800k ones, but across from some $500k and is tiny. Be interesting to see if it actually gets under contract. Might be a decent flip. Owners bought in 2019 for $282k maybe they just didn’t have the means to finish (listing says they’re still doing improvements). Looks like great school zone also. I’d never convince the girl to take on a project like that and don’t think I’m up for it right now either. Not that I’ve found something like that around here anyways.

• 1Truth!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Zillow is just a dumping ground. Nice to look at shit that exists but you can't use it for any information about what houses you can actually put offers on.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Met with builder at property this morning now tomorrow start putting plans together.

on the plus side lumber futures plummeting like a shitcoin .

also started pricing out my tractor :)

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Wow, you got them to bite with just the 'fridge thrown in?

I got a $5k lawnmower and a $9k pool table as the counter to my home inspection, and I still ended up with $4k in receipts of things that I wanted fixed in the inspection! You got off easy, or the place was in really, really good condition. Congrats.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ours was to leave the fridge (which we planned on doing anyway) and to summer-ize the swamp cooler, fix a breaker that had two hots running to it (somehow our inspector didn't catch this), and a minor plumbing fix. Total was about $200.

That said, I fixed damn near everything myself prior to listing. We also got a new roof and new carpet in the 3-4 months prior.

But it's a seller's market.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Wow, you got them to bite with just the 'fridge thrown in?

I got a $5k lawnmower and a $9k pool table as the counter to my home inspection, and I still ended up with $4k in receipts of things that I wanted fixed in the inspection! You got off easy, or the place was in really, really good condition. Congrats.

It is in really good shape honestly and I put a lot of personal time in to fixing things. Not 100% on my out of pocket total and probably best to not think of it that way. I estimated $580 or something in electrical repairs and the buyer's realtor had an estimate from a local place for $615 and she was like "good enough."