Home buying thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Destructive tenants almost do not exist once you get into middle class renters.

Destructive, perhaps not, but financially unstable, yes. A guy down the street from me just got evicted from a 4/3 in an upscale LA neighborhood going for $4k+. Obviously that landlord should have been more careful, but there are enough mediocre prospects out there that with my 800+ credit that I've been selected for every rental I've ever applied to and been thanked by every landlord afterwards.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Destructive, perhaps not, but financially unstable, yes. A guy down the street from me just got evicted from a 4/3 in an upscale LA neighborhood going for $4k+. Obviously that landlord should have been more careful, but there are enough mediocre prospects out there that with my 800+ credit that I've been selected for every rental I've ever applied to and been thanked by every landlord afterwards.
Louisiana?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Since the Fed won't put the brakes on the economy the banks and mortgage companies decided to do it themselves. 6.875% fuck.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Bankrate and various other sites still listing national average on 30yr fixed between 5.12 and 5.27

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Since the Fed won't put the brakes on the economy the banks and mortgage companies decided to do it themselves. 6.875% fuck.

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
For the life of me, I can't understand people with smaller (3/2, 3/1, 2/2) homes selling them even if they expect some kind of crash soon.
Bought my 3/2 in 2017 for 222k and just sold it for 421k. Moved to a 5/2 I bought for 185k.

That one was in Ontario. Id rather get shot in the knee than landlord in Ontario or Quebec. Their laws are favorable to tenants a stupid amount and they only move even more in that direction. Alberta is a lot better in that regard yet still, I only tolerate landlording there because of the pool of military tenants.

Tldr: being a landlord is a pain in the ass.

• 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Bought my 3/2 in 2017 for 222k and just sold it for 421k. Moved to a 5/2 I bought for 185k.

That one was in Ontario. Id rather get shot in the knee than landlord in Ontario or Quebec. Their laws are favorable to tenants a stupid amount and they only move even more in that direction. Alberta is a lot better in that regard yet still, I only tolerate landlording there because of the pool of military tenants.

Not in red state USA!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

This.
It's the #1 reason I won't own rental property in NY. Renters have more rights than landlords.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This.
It's the #1 reason I won't own rental property in NY. Renters have more rights than landlords.

It's crazy; in Oklahoma my wife and I started by managing our first two properties ourselves. These were 3/1 @ 1000 sqft and in a middling part of the town. We had a deadbeat tenet in the second year that we were able to evict simply by looking up and following the 5 steps online. It was about $200 in court fees and we never had to involve a lawyer. It took 30 days. I knew then that we would never own homes in purple/blue states because that short, simple process almost put the house in the red because of the lost rental time.

• 2Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
1.) In 2006 and 2007 people were getting banks to finance investment properties at 100% LTV as long as they had a good repayment history.
Incorrect! Up to 120% LTV with no income verification and no restrictions on loan brokers to provide valid tax returns and much, much more.

• 1Solidarity

Nija

<Silver Donator>
My parents listed their place yesterday afternoon in southern Missouri. 2k sq ft, 16k sq ft lot, built in the 60s. 4/3. Starting at $240k, they had 4 tours in the 4 hours that it was listed, two offers so far, leading offer is up to 255. 4 more tours were scheduled for today, as of last night. It's up to 6 scheduled tours as of 9am. I'm guessing this ferris wheel will stop in the 280k range? Do you think more?

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My parents listed their place yesterday afternoon in southern Missouri. 2k sq ft, 16k sq ft lot, built in the 60s. 4/3. Starting at $240k, they had 4 tours in the 4 hours that it was listed, two offers so far, leading offer is up to 255. 4 more tours were scheduled for today, as of last night. It's up to 6 scheduled tours as of 9am. I'm guessing this ferris wheel will stop in the 280k range? Do you think more?
300 minimum.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
idk w/ mortgage rates getting so high now, they might want to take a lesser "all cash" offer, rather than deal w/ mortgage sheneggans