Home buying thread

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I rented a Townhome for a year, there was 4 to 6 foot between the houses at some spots, but never heard the neighbors at all. Of course it was a quiet area, and no one was having parties with loud music, so that would probably make a difference.

Do they call the buildings that share walls, Townhomes in other parts? We always called them duplexes or row houses (not that I have seen row houses in Texas).
Here in MA they call it a townhome if it is one verticle section for one family and then another for another family. It's a duplex if its like you living on the bottom floor and someone else on the top. We do have row houses in Boston but they are pretty uncommon everywhere else and I don't think many have been built since like the 1890s. Rowhouse to me is more like a whole block being just one connected row but technically it is all separate lots just with walls touching. Really common in like England.

Townhomes are really popular for builders here, they sell for maybe 75% -80% as much as the single family houses of the same square footage and they can cram two on a lot, which is important when even a .25 acre lot with no improvements is worth 400k+. Everyone I know prefers single family but the only single families that get built are 3k+ sqft and going to 1.2-1.5M min or you buy a 60s ranch, probably as much per sqft as the townhome, and deal with an older home.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Townhomes are really popular for builders here, they sell for maybe 75% -80% as much as the single family houses of the same square footage and they can cram two on a lot, which is important when even a .25 acre lot with no improvements is worth 400k+. Everyone I know prefers single family but the only single families that get built are 3k+ sqft and going to 1.2-1.5M min or you buy a 60s ranch, probably as much per sqft as the townhome, and deal with an older home.
also guarantee'd HOA profit

to me, theres no different between an apt complex vs a townhouse, you just pay more (townhouse) so that you have the luxury of not having to bang the broom on the noisey neighbor upstairs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
also guarantee'd HOA profit

to me, theres no different between an apt complex vs a townhouse, you just pay more (townhouse) so that you have the luxury of not having to bang the broom on the noisey neighbor upstairs.
HOA is still really rare here in MA. Most townhomes are a knockdown of one of the old houses that someone trashed too much to be salvageable so are just on stand alone lots in otherwise older neighborhoods.

I hope HOA never catches on here tbh they sound terrible.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
My HOA recently dropped earthquake insurance because the deductible was so high that there was no conceivable way to pay it out if we ever actually needed to use our coverage. I've been sent a letter with a recommendation on where to get my own earthquake coverage through a company that has created a plan "specifically for my HOA" and the annual payment would be over $2,400. Is earthquake insurance the biggest scam, the fattest racket in the US? I'm in southern California so earthquakes are a danger here but not even my homeowner's insurance and my auto insurance combined reaches anywhere near that. Anyone have experience with earthquake insurance? Phazael Phazael maybe?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My HOA recently dropped earthquake insurance because the deductible was so high that there was no conceivable way to pay it out if we ever actually needed to use our coverage. I've been sent a letter with a recommendation on where to get my own earthquake coverage through a company that has created a plan "specifically for my HOA" and the annual payment would be over $2,400. Is earthquake insurance the biggest scam, the fattest racket in the US? I'm in southern California so earthquakes are a danger here but not even my homeowner's insurance and my auto insurance combined reaches anywhere near that. Anyone have experience with earthquake insurance? Phazael Phazael maybe?

I'm in SoCal and don't carry earthquake insurance. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood and the online quote I just got from Geico was for ~$1300/yr with a 15% deductible (~$75k). IMO this is an insurance product looking for customers. If the risks were high enough that the policy works in your favor, the mortgage issuers would force you to carry it like they do for wildfires. While I absolutely understand hedging against catastrophies, I don't see how this is worth it when you need to experience a once-a-century or rarer event to exceed the deductible (unless your house is somewhere stupid or badly engineered).

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, Mercury is offering to give me $100,000 of dwelling coverage with a 15% deductible for a much more reasonable annual price (I believe this is CEA). I'm considering that just so I have something in case a once-in-a-couple-of-decades earthquake occurs that damages part of my house.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We don't carry any either. There was a decent sized quake a few miles from us 7 or so years ago; neghbor next to us just barely hit his deductable of 80k. I can't remember if they decided to go through insurance or not due to what it would have done to their premiums or whatever going forward. Most of the chimney of the neghbor on the other side fell into our yard. There were a few small marks from bricks on the wall. One missed a window by 3 to 4 inches.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We had earthquake insurance, with a $50k deductible. Think we paid about $500 a year for it, but it's been a long time.

Our house at the time was built in 1989. ~10 miles from the 7.1 and 6.4 (although they say the energy went more NE and we were SW), and we had some light cracking in the stucco. That was pretty much it. Oh, and some cans and shit fell in the pantry on the bigger one.

What we learned is that FEMA will typically cover shit like that if it's actually catastrophic. Now, whether you want to deal with FEMA or not is another question. But, my experience is that our house had no issues with the earthquake. Certainly not enough to meet the deductible.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
I'm in SoCal and don't carry earthquake insurance. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood and the online quote I just got from Geico was for ~$1300/yr with a 15% deductible (~$75k). IMO this is an insurance product looking for customers. If the risks were high enough that the policy works in your favor, the mortgage issuers would force you to carry it like they do for wildfires. While I absolutely understand hedging against catastrophies, I don't see how this is worth it when you need to experience a once-a-century or rarer event to exceed the deductible (unless your house is somewhere stupid or badly engineered).
You are forced by the bank to carry wildfire insurance?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
We had earthquake insurance, with a $50k deductible. Think we paid about $500 a year for it, but it's been a long time.

Our house at the time was built in 1989. ~10 miles from the 7.1 and 6.4 (although they say the energy went more NE and we were SW), and we had some light cracking in the stucco. That was pretty much it. Oh, and some cans and shit fell in the pantry on the bigger one.

What we learned is that FEMA will typically cover shit like that if it's actually catastrophic. Now, whether you want to deal with FEMA or not is another question. But, my experience is that our house had no issues with the earthquake. Certainly not enough to meet the deductible.

View attachment 477047
A moving truck to Florida is a whole lot cheaper than earthquake insurance.

• 5Like
  • 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
A moving truck to Florida is a whole lot cheaper than earthquake insurance.
Not sure we could've gotten a moving truck, but they were expensive as fuck.

Went with a Pod and just sold almost everything. Which in retrospect was a mistake, because we timed it with the supply chain shortages (stuff like furniture was 16 weeks delayed).

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure we could've gotten a moving truck, but they were expensive as fuck.

Went with a Pod and just sold almost everything. Which in retrospect was a mistake, because we timed it with the supply chain shortages (stuff like furniture was 16 weeks delayed).
Had to use boxes or something to sit on?

Captain Suave

It's a few hundred bucks a year for the value of the structure, not that onerous. I did buy a house within a half mile of some wilderness, so if a little extra insurance is what it takes to get a tree-filled mountain neighborhood in LA, that's fine with me.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

at this point I wouldn't carry it just cause the fed will step in and just make up insurance for everyone who weren't covered out of thin air

seriously

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You are forced by the bank to carry wildfire insurance?

Pretty sure fire is automatically covered (probably some regulation) which is why major carriers like all state are pulling out of the CA home insurance market in general. Glad i'm grandfathered in with them cause they have great prices.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure fire is automatically covered (probably some regulation) which is why major carriers like all state are pulling out of the CA home insurance market in general. Glad i'm grandfathered in with them cause they have great prices.

Fire, wind, and rain are all covered by every policy that I have ever seen. That means if a tornado (wind) blew off your roof and there was water damage than you are 100% covered. HOWEVER, if it is flood water rising up...well buddy, you are SOL. That is a separate policy that is only available in certain areas and that coverage is not great. How do I know? I live in Houston, home of the floods, and have Flood insurance that is ACV and only covers like 1/2 of the cost of the purchase price of the house. That is the max possible coverage.

Captain Suave

It's a separate policy for me.