Home buying thread

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Shit makes no sense to me, who the fuck is buying these houses. I’m not rich, I make low 6 figures, like pretty much barely breaking 6 figures. My house is nothing special, 3 bedroom 2 bath, cookie cutter house but in a really nice town next to the country club outside the big city of Corpus Christi. I paid $205k, they wanted $235k, 4.25% interest rate with an 820 credit score, put down $10k,mortgage is $1670

Fast forward a year, houses are $300k for the same square footage and to be quite fucking honest if they took pics of the houses empty outside of minor differences looks like my house. 7.25% interest and that’s for people with excellent credit like me, $100k more price and the mortgage would be around $2800-$3k. How the fuck does that happen, who can afford this, who is buying these houses because they are getting scooped up.

Confused as fuck, as a person who hasn’t rented ever, previous house was bought and paid for and a really long story so I won’t get into it, I decided to look up rent prices. Dear fucking lord, one bedroom apartments are $12-$1300, 2 bedroom 2 bath, $25-$2800 and 3 bedroom 2 bath are $4200-$4800. These are the cheap places, who the fuck is renting these places and how can they afford them. Me and my wife sat down and did the math, we can’t figure out how people are living and affording things. My wife doesn’t work but it’s ok because my take home pay is generally $2-$3k a week but we can’t make the math work for other people.

Assuming a man and wife both work, man is paid $20 and wife $15 an hour. They both work 40 hours a week, they earn $5600 and Uncle Sam takes his cut and they have $4700. Let’s say they have 2 kids and they share a room and they live in a shitty 2 bedroom. They now have $2200 left over, let’s be nice and say their car payment is only $300 each and now with insurance premiums skyrocketing $250 for insurance they are left with $1350. Water, electric, internet another $350 gone and $1000 remaining, let’s pretend these vehicles are decent mpg vehicles and only run $50 a week in gas, $400 a month gone, $600 remaining to eat the entire month on with 2 adults and 2 kids. This is bare fucking minimum, I’ve underestimated prices, assumed no debt outside of rent and transportation and I can’t make sense of it.

Someone please make it make sense, how the fuck are people remaining afloat today, how are people buying houses.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
People who lived in super HCOL areas (California, New York, etc), sold their homes because their states suck dick, and now have a ton of equity to outbid locals. Foreigners, too, obviously. And then the investment firms trying to control the market.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
People who lived in super HCOL areas (California, New York, etc), sold their homes because their states suck dick, and now have a ton of equity to outbid locals. Foreigners, too, obviously. And then the investment firms trying to control the market.
That makes sense, I just never pictured people fleeing those shit hole states and cities coming to Corpus. Austin, Boise, Phoenix etc etc yes and data shows that, but it makes sense even a couple of hundred of those locust could drastically effect the housing market in my area.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What'll blow your mind even more is that the market is still tight in LA/SF where these people you're complaining about are moving out of. A nice 3/2 in a good school district is $1.5M.

Assuming a man and wife both work, man is paid $20 and wife $15 an hour.

No one paying those prices is getting paid hourly. The math doesn't work, as you say. You're almost certainly looking at dual salary households, working remote if you're in a place without access to corporate employers. $5k/mo looks almost reasonable when you're making $300k or more per year and it's workable down to $200k.

Last edited:

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
What'll blow your mind even more is that the market is still tight in LA/SF where these people you're complaining about are moving out of. A nice 3/2 in a good school district is $1.5M.

No one paying those prices is getting paid hourly. The math doesn't work, as you say. You're almost certainly looking at dual salary households, working remote if you're in a place without access to corporate employers. $5k/mo looks less stupid when you're making $300k or more per year, and it's workable down to $200k.
Those rent prices are the low end, these are places I know and even if it was the only thing I could afford I wouldn’t want to live there. All the people living in these places aren’t dual salary households.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That makes sense, I just never pictured people fleeing those shit hole states and cities coming to Corpus. Austin, Boise, Phoenix etc etc yes and data shows that, but it makes sense even a couple of hundred of those locust could drastically effect the housing market in my area.
Some companies are allowing work from home, but have the stipulation of X hours drive from the office. So where else are people who like living on the coast going to go, that is "close" to Austin and has the amenities they want?

I have heard it said that Corpus is a nicer coast than farther up toward Freeport/Galveston, but I wouldn't be surprised if anywhere within 3 to 4 hours of Austin is seeing housing prices increase at a much higher rate than state & national average.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Then why is San Anton not as expensive as the Corpus Christi he's describing? The prices he's talking are Austin City Limits prices. You won't find a single livable property in the Austin Metro that costs you under $300k outside of some weird, lucky situation.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Prices are at or passing last years all time highs. For example, in my zipcode atm there are only 5 single family homes under 400k listed on Zillow atm. A house just sold for $480k down the street from me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Those rent prices are the low end, these are places I know and even if it was the only thing I could afford I wouldn’t want to live there. All the people living in these places aren’t dual salary households.
my neighbor is paying 2500 for rent, a few houses down single owner house sold as rental, they're paying 3100, it's like Janx Janx said, if my mortgage is at 2200, why not turn it into a rental.

i can understand the ones that just moved in for 3100... cuz they have 2 kids and they moved in right b4 school started (this is the best district) so theyre obviously paying out the ass in rent to get the better education

my other neighbor is just using the place as a apt for work, is there once a week

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Then why is San Anton not as expensive as the Corpus Christi he's describing? The prices he's talking are Austin City Limits prices. You won't find a single livable property in the Austin Metro that costs you under $300k outside of some weird, lucky situation.
The coast is the only thing I can imagine, our beaches aren’t Florida beaches or even South Padre Island but people who don’t live here act like they are the shit. The further north and east you go along the coast in Texas the uglier the coast is.

There are cheaper houses, but people can’t afford the down payments and closing cost and livable is a subjective term. You can buy cheaper houses, 100-150k but they would require renovations. Rent on the other hand at apartment complexes have gone up to the aforementioned prices, someone told me that rent home prices have driven up the apartment prices. Rising interest rates and house values drive up rental homes driving up rental apartments.

I’m not a smart man, I’m trying to understand it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
someone told me that rent home prices have driven up the apartment prices. Rising interest rates and house values drive up rental homes driving up rental apartments.

I’m not a smart man, I’m trying to understand it.
yea it's something like landlords have to raise rents to keep up w/ the estimated value of the property or devalued or something like that?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's likely just market conditions.

A new buyer who's looking to rent out will have to set rent to cover their higher costs. Therefore, all rents in the area rise because they're going to match it.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
This isn't specific to Texas. I know single mom's with minimum wage jobs paying $1200 per month for rent. Its brutal right now all over the place. My take is that we're still seeing a ton of investment companies and foreign funds buying houses with cash and hiring management companies to rent the places out. I know the data being put out says that households have a ton of cash on hand right now, and its certainly true for many, but I know waaay more people that are living on absolutely nothing.

I'm real glad I bought when I did (2021), feels a lot like getting my foot on the ladder right before they pulled it up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Shit makes no sense to me, who the fuck is buying these houses. I’m not rich, I make low 6 figures, like pretty much barely breaking 6 figures. My house is nothing special, 3 bedroom 2 bath, cookie cutter house but in a really nice town next to the country club outside the big city of Corpus Christi. I paid $205k, they wanted $235k, 4.25% interest rate with an 820 credit score, put down $10k,mortgage is $1670

Fast forward a year, houses are $300k for the same square footage and to be quite fucking honest if they took pics of the houses empty outside of minor differences looks like my house. 7.25% interest and that’s for people with excellent credit like me, $100k more price and the mortgage would be around $2800-$3k. How the fuck does that happen, who can afford this, who is buying these houses because they are getting scooped up.

Confused as fuck, as a person who hasn’t rented ever, previous house was bought and paid for and a really long story so I won’t get into it, I decided to look up rent prices. Dear fucking lord, one bedroom apartments are $12-$1300, 2 bedroom 2 bath, $25-$2800 and 3 bedroom 2 bath are $4200-$4800. These are the cheap places, who the fuck is renting these places and how can they afford them. Me and my wife sat down and did the math, we can’t figure out how people are living and affording things. My wife doesn’t work but it’s ok because my take home pay is generally $2-$3k a week but we can’t make the math work for other people.

Assuming a man and wife both work, man is paid $20 and wife $15 an hour. They both work 40 hours a week, they earn $5600 and Uncle Sam takes his cut and they have $4700. Let’s say they have 2 kids and they share a room and they live in a shitty 2 bedroom. They now have $2200 left over, let’s be nice and say their car payment is only $300 each and now with insurance premiums skyrocketing $250 for insurance they are left with $1350. Water, electric, internet another $350 gone and $1000 remaining, let’s pretend these vehicles are decent mpg vehicles and only run $50 a week in gas, $400 a month gone, $600 remaining to eat the entire month on with 2 adults and 2 kids. This is bare fucking minimum, I’ve underestimated prices, assumed no debt outside of rent and transportation and I can’t make sense of it.

Someone please make it make sense, how the fuck are people remaining afloat today, how are people buying houses.

Ez

credit-card-swipe.gif

Fucker

Log Wizard
It's likely just market conditions.
High demand from people unable to buy because for some reason raising the rates on home mortgages also raises rents. How many people got pushed out of the home market with the fed lining their pockets combating inflation with rate hikes? All those people are now stuck renting, and this also does not include regular demand from first time renters entering the housing market.

No small wonder that the fed does not understand these things, and this is on top of all the landlord antagonistic laws that many cities and states have in place. You cannot put stress on one part of the housing market without also placing that stress on the entire market.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Really makes you wonder if these are unintended consequences of doing something like student loan forgiveness. Even if the administration had the best intentions in continuing it, in the end they were fucking the very people being "helped" by it as now those people are going to be super fucked as loans resume this month and they lost the income they've thought they had for the last 3 years (even though the writing has been on the wall).

Fucker

Log Wizard
Really makes you wonder if these are unintended consequences of doing something like student loan forgiveness. Even if the administration had the best intentions in continuing it, in the end they were fucking the very people being "helped" by it as now those people are going to be super fucked as loans resume this month and they lost the income they've thought they had for the last 3 years (even though the writing has been on the wall).
In the case of renting, the "unintended" consequence of rent moratoriums was rent skyrocketing across the board. I saw this the millisecond I read about it. I was a small potatoes landlord for a while, and 100% there's no way I would put myself in a position to be giving people freebies. All the costs associated with anti-landlord policies have to be baked into the cost of rent. Rent in some places went up 4x in less than a year, and this was before student loan forgiveness gained traction.

Another "unintended" consequence of rent moratoriums is that it pushed out Mom & Pop operations because few of them could float mortgages on their units for years without rental income to pay those mortgages. They sold out to large megacorps who were competing for units with other megacorps thus driving the cost of buying homes up for everyone in the housing market.

My goal as a landlord primarily was to make money on the back end of the deal; appreciation of property. As such, it was made clear to tenants that there would be no rent increases as long as the property was left was it was found. I ended up with good tenants who took care of their units. I never increased rent on long term tenants and I never gave out late charges or any other fees. Those same tenants got leeway on rent payment schedules. A few days late, NBD because I knew they'd always pay it. Money back every year for being a good tenant and keeping unit perfect? Here's your $500. In the end, I had great tenants and my outlay for repairs and cleaning was damned near nil.

Now, people like me are going to be a thing of the past, replaced with megacorps. $250 application fee, $250 processing fee, $200 utility hookup fees, extra parking spot rental fees, maintenance fees, late fees, daily late fees, lost a key? pay to have everything rekeyed $500, payment processing fees. The list goes on and on. Moving out and unit not exactly as you left it? Goodbye security deposit! Cost to rent a decent apartment is $7500 and that's before you put a single fucking Uhaul box on the carpet.

The "unintended" consequence of student loan forgiveness is the gummint printing money to pay their own bills, so now a dollar is worth 25% less in real terms than it was 3 years ago.

Funny how expensive all this free stuff has become.

Animated.geoff topical but not aimed at anyone in particular unless you have a seat at the fed

glengarry-glen-ross-alec-baldwin-2410541562.gif

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Clown World
Reactions: 4 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
In the case of renting, the "unintended" consequence of rent moratoriums was rent skyrocketing across the board. I saw this the millisecond I read about it. I was a small potatoes landlord for a while, and 100% there's no way I would put myself in a position to be giving people freebies. All the costs associated with anti-landlord policies have to be baked into the cost of rent. Rent in some places went up 4x in less than a year, and this was before student loan forgiveness gained traction.

Another "unintended" consequence of rent moratoriums is that it pushed out Mom & Pop operations because few of them could float mortgages on their units for years without rental income to pay those mortgages. They sold out to large megacorps who were competing for units with other megacorps thus driving the cost of buying homes up for everyone in the housing market.

My goal as a landlord primarily was to make money on the back end of the deal; appreciation of property. As such, it was made clear to tenants that there would be no rent increases as long as the property was left was it was found. I ended up with good tenants who took care of their units. I never increased rent on long term tenants and I never gave out late charges or any other fees. Those same tenants got leeway on rent payment schedules. A few days late, NBD because I knew they'd always pay it. Money back every year for being a good tenant and keeping unit perfect? Here's your $500. In the end, I had great tenants and my outlay for repairs and cleaning was damned near nil.

Now, people like me are going to be a thing of the past, replaced with megacorps. $250 application fee, $250 processing fee, $200 utility hookup fees, extra parking spot rental fees, maintenance fees, late fees, daily late fees, lost a key? pay to have everything rekeyed $500, payment processing fees. The list goes on and on. Moving out and unit not exactly as you left it? Goodbye security deposit! Cost to rent a decent apartment is $7500 and that's before you put a single fucking Uhaul box on the carpet.

The "unintended" consequence of student loan forgiveness is the gummint printing money to pay their own bills, so now a dollar is worth 25% less in real terms than it was 3 years ago.

Funny how expensive all this free stuff has become.

Animated.geoff topical but not aimed at anyone in particular unless you have a seat at the fed

View attachment 489406

Thankfully there's a solution. Student loan forgiveness may have failed this time, but how about we start expanding some "programs"?

You know they really need a "heroes housing act" to get all those front line workers a VA loan equivalent. Maybe a "restore our cities" plan to pay for 50% of housing prices for all minorities "underbanked communities".

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I'm doxxing myself, but this is the housing market where I live. I'm a 55 minutes away from SF by rail, well over 1.5hrs by car and probably 2+ hrs to San Jose by car.

I do not understand where this money is coming from. It's being thrown around on things that are basically 70 year old garbage.

1693886259765.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm doxxing myself, but this is the housing market where I live. I'm a 55 minutes away from SF by rail, well over 1.5hrs by car and probably 2+ hrs to San Jose by car.

I do not understand where this money is coming from. It's being thrown around on things that are basically 70 year old garbage.

View attachment 489411
haha
d4e8021a483cbe5434937e33821fe1fd.jpg

1000 sq/ft should be a starter home for 2, 23yr olds
26e5bcaca28b35ad8530f1f64d37e78a.png

4900$ a month
94c0ef8a9764d111c17d253ffae0da51.png

and youre not joking made in 1953