Home buying thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Less than 2% of total existing residential home sales went to foreign buyers (including resident aliens) from Apr 22 to Mar 23. Just over 2% of the total dollars of existing home sales went to foreigners.

That's a neat trick, now add all purchasers that were not individual citizens like corporations, trusts, etc.!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Less than 2% of total existing residential home sales went to foreign buyers (including resident aliens) from Apr 22 to Mar 23. Just over 2% of the total dollars of existing home sales went to foreigners.

3/4 of the street I live on are people who moved to the USA less than 5 years ago.

• 3WTF
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Um, are you using this number to show that foreign ownership isn't a problem? Isn't that like saying only 2% of our population turned into illegal aliens this year, what could possibly go wrong?

Not exactly comparable, but I wonder what the number looks like when you include commercial RE and corporate purchases with significant foreign ownership.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Thanks for reinforcing my point?

Now add up the previous 10 years and the trajectory of the next 10 years, compound the issue of underbuilding... and how is this not an issue?

Some countries had speculative foreign ownership driving crazy valuations and pushing affordability out of reach for the locals. New Zealand had the balls to outright ban foreign ownership in 2018. Canada tried passing a foreign ownership ban earlier in the year, but within months had already started making amendments.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
there are a few asian countries that allow foreign ownership like japan/korea (i've looked into em as retirement places)

some shittier countries also allow it like malaysia/singapore/taiwan (i only shit on taiwan cuz who wants to live under the threat of ccp daily?)

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Um, are you using this number to show that foreign ownership isn't a problem? Isn't that like saying only 2% of our population turned into illegal aliens this year, what could possibly go wrong?

Not exactly comparable, but I wonder what the number looks like when you include commercial RE and corporate purchases with significant foreign ownership.
My initial post was that foreigners in shit countries that can't get their cash out of their home country due to govt edict will use it to protect themselves by buying a hard asset in the US (aka house or condo). I was met with the normal reaction and told "OMFG foreigners buy all the houses in the US." The fact is they bought less than 2% last year. No one hear will care about the facts because it doesn't fit their morale outrage.

That is all.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thanks for reinforcing my point?

Now add up the previous 10 years and the trajectory of the next 10 years, compound the issue of underbuilding... and how is this not an issue?

Some countries had speculative foreign ownership driving crazy valuations and pushing affordability out of reach for the locals. New Zealand had the balls to outright ban foreign ownership in 2018. Canada tried passing a foreign ownership ban earlier in the year, but within months had already started making amendments.
Do you own or rent in London?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
My initial post was that foreigners in shit countries that can't get their cash out of their home country due to govt edict will use it to protect themselves by buying a hard asset in the US (aka house or condo). I was met with the normal reaction and told "OMFG foreigners buy all the houses in the US." The fact is they bought less than 2% last year. No one hear will care about the facts because it doesn't fit their morale outrage.

That is all.

You also opined on a lot of anecdotal points that can’t be supported by data either, like how foreign purchases keep demand high. So, pot meet kettle.

If you want to use SF as an example, foreign real estate purchases exacerbate problems created by local ordinance and take real estate completely out of the realm of financial reality.

Don't get salty if others don’t use peer-reviewed data to support their points when you’re not either.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You also opined on a lot of anecdotal points that can’t be supported by data either, like how foreign purchases keep demand high. So, pot meet kettle.

If you want to use SF as an example, foreign real estate purchases exacerbate problems created by local ordinance and take real estate completely out of the realm of financial reality.

Don't get salty if others don’t use peer-reviewed data to support their points when you’re not either.
There are definitely pockets where it's more of an issue. The school my wife used to work at had a pretty large population of Chinese and oil money students whose parents moved (or sent the kids with a guardian) just for the schools.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you own or rent in London?

isn't it impossible to own in london, unless it's pass down?
We don’t live in that mess. We are 15min from the beach on the south coast. UK has massive issues with speculative buyers and shady entities parking their money in hard assets, to the point London is nicknamed the laundromat. Oligarch and petro dollar shenanigans galore.

There is also a massive housing shortage across the country. A lot of this is due to NIMBYism as well as artificial scarcity to keep valuations high. The current government had promised 300k new houses per year and for the last decade has consistently managed about half of that. All the while the UK has had mass immigration into the country.

Fun bonus fact. The UK hasn’t had a replacement level birth rate since the 1970s, yet during the last 50 years over the same period, its population has grown by nearly 20%. And they wonder why there are massive cultural & social issues, esp in London.

One of the glaring obvious issues with an economic policy of “growth by any means” society.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Every time I start thinking about residential rentals, I slap myself and go with commercial. The juice just ain't worth the squeeze in residential.
What commercial rentals do you have or want to have? Commercial seems like it would be much easier to manage.. Something like an office space. I have a buddy who is a part owner of a medical complex he developed with a few other guys. They’ve run out of parking space however and there’s no land to available to buy around it. They also can’t expand upwards due to permitting reasons I believe.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We don’t live in that mess. We are 15min from the beach on the south coast. UK has massive issues with speculative buyers and shady entities parking their money in hard assets, to the point London is nicknamed the laundromat. Oligarch and petro dollar shenanigans galore.

There is also a massive housing shortage across the country. A lot of this is due to NIMBYism as well as artificial scarcity to keep valuations high. The current government had promised 300k new houses per year and for the last decade has consistently managed about half of that. All the while the UK has had mass immigration into the country.

Fun bonus fact. The UK hasn’t had a replacement level birth rate since the 1970s, yet during the last 50 years over the same period, its population has grown by nearly 20%. And they wonder why there are massive cultural & social issues, esp in London.

One of the glaring obvious issues with an economic policy of “growth by any means” society.
Without immigration, isnt the US birth rate at like 1.6?

Not in my back yard rules and regulations, along with state and federal regulations just need to be gutted across the board and in some cases, made outright illegal to implement. HOA's, as much as I make off managing them, should have far, far, less power for example. Then, you have other things like drainage, elevation, animal protections / endangered species type of acts/regulations that are just killing off any chance that an area can supply more housing at a reasonable price. A creek next to a populated city is going to get pollution in it, most likely from run off. Transplant the endangered fucking frogs far the fuck away from there makes far more fucking sense.

The only thing thats popping up lately, and Im guilty of this shit as of last year - is just wealthy people making condo's, town houses and apartment buildings every fucking corner. Mine is small fries in comparison to some of the mega projects that have popped up in Lynchburg. The most recent one not only wiped out an entire forest to replace it with all apartment-like condo's with a high ass HOA fee, but they bought a huge chunk of square footage next to the main road right there. Now that little area has a Chipotle, Starbucks, ABC Store, Sheetz, Oil and Car Wash place, Jimmy Johns, etc. with the main feature being a really pretty looking building that just so happens to be a fucking storage building. Its all owned by the same group of guys and they're already clearing the land in another location maybe 10 minutes away. By the time this all blows over, they'll be worth a fucking ton of money. More so than they are now. (Im jealous as fuck, ya.)

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Having tuffshed build a 16x32 shed similar to this except using transom windows on side. Yes I know tuff shed is ovepriced etc etc but my options are limited.

Shed will be used to store property maintenance equipment, tools, a chest freezer and I’ll also build a workbench in there. I’m in Florida.

Not sure how often I’ll end up using as a workshop per se but like to keep that option open. I’m wondering if I should house wrap it and insulate it or just stick with their radiant barrier.

I don’t like the idea of extra work and money putting in some sort of AC unit. I’m wondering if I can get away with roof rent vent, 1 lower intake vent on each wall with exception of door wall and maybe ceiling fan under loft. Maybe worst case I can get a dehumidifier with drain and just plumb it to drain outdoors. Thoughts?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Pity Party Whining GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What commercial rentals do you have or want to have? Commercial seems like it would be much easier to manage.. Something like an office space. I have a buddy who is a part owner of a medical complex he developed with a few other guys. They’ve run out of parking space however and there’s no land to available to buy around it. They also can’t expand upwards due to permitting reasons I believe.
My former partner really loved commercial warehouse space. I never acquired the background knowledge he has in the space so I have never went that route. I prefer office space rentals.

• 1Like