Home buying thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
How often do you guys get solicited by phone to sell your property? It's been a thing for a while now but as interest rates have gone up it's gotten much worse. I get at least 1 call a day, usually identified as spam and I can just kill the call but I think these fuckers are getting my info from the various apartment search sites I've had my info on in the past when looking to fill vacancies and it's very irritating and not sure there's anything I can even do about it.
Never. Wonder if this is a state specific thing?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How often do you guys get solicited by phone to sell your property? It's been a thing for a while now but as interest rates have gone up it's gotten much worse. I get at least 1 call a day, usually identified as spam and I can just kill the call but I think these fuckers are getting my info from the various apartment search sites I've had my info on in the past when looking to fill vacancies and it's very irritating and not sure there's anything I can even do about it.
My favorite is the people calling me asking if I would like for them to manage my properties. "Oh really? Would ya now? Where ya located? Cleveland...? OHIO? Im in fucking Lynchburg, VA, man. Tf would you even know about my area?"

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
388$ power bill last month. This shit is insane! I have radiant floor heating in 3 bathrooms but that isn’t too much power suck I think?
This place does have one of those instant hot water devices attached to my water heater so I’m considering disconnecting that for a bit and see what happens. Still waiting to get my emporia installed first so I can monitor.
My last place (1560 sq ft) didn’t pay any attention to power usage and was 100-150 a month usually. Granted this place is 2500 sq ft but 388$ is way too big a jump, esp since I’ve been trying harder

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
388$ power bill last month. This shit is insane! I have radiant floor heating in 3 bathrooms but that isn’t too much power suck I think?
This place does have one of those instant hot water devices attached to my water heater so I’m considering disconnecting that for a bit and see what happens. Still waiting to get my emporia installed first so I can monitor.
My last place (1560 sq ft) didn’t pay any attention to power usage and was 100-150 a month usually. Granted this place is 2500 sq ft but 388$ is way too big a jump, esp since I’ve been trying harder

How many kWh and where are you? That's close to double what I pay during non-AC months in Los Angeles for a 2300 sqt ft 3/2 with a pool and an EV.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Your running your floor heating in may? I'm busy power cycling my generator trying not to melt but not burn through my propane at 2.50 gallon post tornado

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Your running your floor heating in may? I'm busy power cycling my generator trying not to melt but not burn through my propane at 2.50 gallon post tornado
Yea I would think most of them run on thermostats with timers so it's warm in the morning or whatever then shuts off.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

how the fuck a single 40yr old making 120k quality for a 6k loan, and wtf did he buy?

600$ /mo hoa is just so dumb

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

how the fuck a single 40yr old making 120k quality for a 6k loan, and wtf did he buy?

600$ /mo hoa is just so dumb

Dude's gross pay is in the neighborhood of $165k. He apparently just can't do the basic arithmetic to understand how much house he can actually afford and/or what lifestyle he can afford given his house. Plus he's a moron for buying a house at 30-50% more than what it apparently costs to rent the same house.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's amazing to me that people do stuff that dumb. I'm sure his excuse is he's where the jobs are. But there are plenty of jobs where he could make half as much and houses would be 1/8 what they cost in whatever shithole city he lives in. I don't know how big his house is, but I saw him say something about average house price being $4.8m. Which...c'mon man.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
He waited until he was in his late 30s, presumably, to buy his first house, and apparently used to make even more money. That story doesn't seem real based on just those 2 pieces of information. Sounds a lot like a bait story to stir the pot on the internet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
imagine being 40 and asking moms for $$$, or worse yet, put them on the hook for your house that youre bound to mess up and get foreclosed cosigning

e8a482fe911b887f98009498ad0b40f6.png

i mean, i could see it, if youre mid 20s 1st kid...

but 40s?

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
imagine being 40 and asking moms for $$$, or worse yet, put them on the hook for your house that youre bound to mess up and get foreclosed cosigning

e8a482fe911b887f98009498ad0b40f6.png

i mean, i could see it, if youre mid 20s 1st kid...

but 40s?

I had down payment help on my first home in my 30s... in-laws wanted to give us some as a gift and we weren't going to say no. This could just be indicative of demographic changes and older folks having more money saved up to pass on.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I went back to college when I was 25 after the Army and had to get a place off campus. The place wouldn't let me rent without a guarantor, and my wife (of almost 5 years at the time) wasn't sufficient.

So I had to call my mom and ask her if she'd sign off on it, despite me having been living on my own for 7 years at that point.

It's one of those moments that still pisses me off well over a decade later, just like when we closed on our first house but they fucked up and didn't get the paperwork to the county courthouse in time, so we had to rent our own house for the weekend.

Edit: And actually, seeing the post above, my wife and her brother both got $40k from their parents a few years ago when we both happened to be buying a new house at the same time. Although a lot of that had to do with their dad having had leukemia for a couple years already and knew he was inevitably going to die, and wanting to give us an early "inheritance."

Siliconemelons

I went back to college when I was 25 after the Army and had to get a place off campus. The place wouldn't let me rent without a guarantor, and my wife (of almost 5 years at the time) wasn't sufficient.

So I had to call my mom and ask her if she'd sign off on it, despite me having been living on my own for 7 years at that point.

It's one of those moments that still pisses me off well over a decade later, just like when we closed on our first house but they fucked up and didn't get the paperwork to the county courthouse in time, so we had to rent our own house for the weekend.

Edit: And actually, seeing the post above, my wife and her brother both got $40k from their parents a few years ago when we both happened to be buying a new house at the same time. Although a lot of that had to do with their dad having had leukemia for a couple years already and knew he was inevitably going to die, and wanting to give us an early "inheritance."
re: $40k - and...not to assume or whatever - but often, older people esp with some really bad thing, like leukemia :-( you divest so you can qualify for the different tier of gov medicare...medicade? one of them, essentially will take all your assets and then say "okay we will take care of you and medical care etc." - but you have to divest within some time range or the government likes to reclaim those assets, and there is also some $ amount per year that you can give away as gifts and not count toward whatever.

My grandmother had purchased insurance that was specific for retirement home / skilled nursing facility etc. it had a 5 year term or 7 or something - so during her use of that coverage she was divesting all her assets "inheritance" that could be taken if she lived past the coverage of her retirement home insurance and would have jumped into medi-cade?care?whatever - and she then would have had to surrendered assets. But, she did not live that long, nor need to divest.

It is a sham and shame what hoops they make people go through for those that have the audacity to...live...

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
re: $40k - and...not to assume or whatever - but often, older people esp with some really bad thing, like leukemia :-( you divest so you can qualify for the different tier of gov medicare...medicade? one of them, essentially will take all your assets and then say "okay we will take care of you and medical care etc." - but you have to divest within some time range or the government likes to reclaim those assets, and there is also some $ amount per year that you can give away as gifts and not count toward whatever.

My grandmother had purchased insurance that was specific for retirement home / skilled nursing facility etc. it had a 5 year term or 7 or something - so during her use of that coverage she was divesting all her assets "inheritance" that could be taken if she lived past the coverage of her retirement home insurance and would have jumped into medi-cade?care?whatever - and she then would have had to surrendered assets. But, she did not live that long, nor need to divest.

It is a sham and shame what hoops they make people go through for those that have the audacity to...live...
I mean to play devil’s advocate why is it the government’s (aka the taxpayer’s) job to pay for your fancy nursing home instead of you just so your kids can fight over your money/house (that you don’t even live in for years, typically the biggest loser kid or grandkid just moves in) after you die?

• 1Truth!

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I mean to play devil’s advocate why is it the government’s (aka the taxpayer’s) job to pay for your fancy nursing home instead of you just so your kids can fight over your money/house (that you don’t even live in for years, typically the biggest loser kid or grandkid just moves in) after you die?
It's a pretty common play to be honest. Once they begin to see the writing on the wall, some folks dump assets for the long game and wait out the look back period so they don't have to fund their own care. This lets the kids bank the assets.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They are funding their own care. They paid into it their entire working lives.

• 1Like