Home buying thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
We're about to hit 5 years, but we're only at like 91%
frown.png

Still not sure if we're going to try and move or just refi, indecision has had us sitting at 5.65% for a couple of years.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm 2 years into my house and I don't think I can ever move. That 3.99% 30yr fixed is too good.
3.875% 15 year here. Still have PMI though because we somehow don't have enough credit history to have it removed. Apparently having never paid interest on a credit card in our lifetimes is a negative despite paying all of our bills via CC for the free points for the last 5 years. And we both have more then 10 years of credit history including buying and paying off cars, her wedding ring, and apartment rental.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I didn't think PMI was applied for credit history, isn't it always applied for <20% down payment? I could be wrong.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think it's a federal law, or most states, that they have to remove PMI after a certain percent too. It's like 1 or 2 percentage points past 20%. IIRC, your credit score(which your history affects) doesn't affect PMI but your lending rate.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I think it's a federal law, or most states, that they have to remove PMI after a certain percent too. It's like 1 or 2 percentage points past 20%. IIRC, your credit score(which your history affects) doesn't affect PMI but your lending rate.
It depends on the loan. If you recently got an FHA loan, you're paying MI for the life of the loan.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It depends on the loan. If you recently got an FHA loan, you're paying MI for the life of the loan.
These were recent changes that some loans keep PMI for the life of the loan. (Fuck that shit greedy lenders) Typically though, PMI is if you do not have at least 20% down on the house and would go away once you are >20% in equity on the loan.

niss_sl

shitlord
Seller pays the commission, so it should be irrelevant in that case. In the previous case, the realtor should be cutting their commission in half, since there is no buyer agent to pay out.
He doesn't have to do anything. He's entitled to both the seller and the buyer commission as outlined in the contract. Any cut that he/she does is out of the good of his heart and unless he's related/good friends with the seller, he probably won't. And why should he - he's doing the work of 2 agents. Now whether the "work" agents do warrants their price in the first place is another issue...

lindz

#DDs
And the defendants appealed. They had 30 days to do so and they did so on day 28. God damnit.

Back to court in October now. I really hate these people.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Bet you wish you weren't nice to them now eh? =P Next time ask for the moon and let the judge sort it out.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
The only loan that keeps MI for life now is FHA as of last year. Conventional loans by law have an automatic point where the MI ends and it's outlined in your MI agreement signed with your loan docs at closing. The removal of your MI has nothing to do with your credit, it's solely a loan-to-value exercise. The only reason you would bring up your credit is if you're trying to refinance out of the MI loan to a new loan with no MI but can no longer qualify.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Any general tips/advice on selling/buying at the same time? My wife and I are in a small house right now and want to upgrade to a larger house. How do you go about doing both? Do we need to sell first then set a closing date a few months out and pray we find a house quick?

At this point we're just starting to look into it. I've been spending the last few weekends cleaning up and fixing the minor stuff around the house.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any general tips/advice on selling/buying at the same time? My wife and I are in a small house right now and want to upgrade to a larger house. How do you go about doing both? Do we need to sell first then set a closing date a few months out and pray we find a house quick?

At this point we're just starting to look into it. I've been spending the last few weekends cleaning up and fixing the minor stuff around the house.
If you can afford to carry both notes its not that bad. I did it for about 7 months by offsetting the second note with a loan agains my 401k. I was 25 and dumb when I did it because I had bitten off more than I could chew with my first house.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Isn't this what contingency is when you buy/sell? You will buy a house within X number of months contingent on you selling your own house in that same timeframe? That's what I always thought it meant. I think it's pretty common.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Isn't this what contingency is when you buy/sell? You will buy a house within X number of months contingent on you selling your own house in that same timeframe? That's what I always thought it meant. I think it's pretty common.
That is what a contingency is, but it actually isn't very common. A seller would have to be mentally fucking deranged to lock their house up on a contract hoping your other house sells.

koljec_sl

shitlord

My wife and I were in that situation last year. If I remember the timeline:

* put first home up for sale in late February
* Got first house under contract in late March
* had everything but settlement done by mid April
* entered a contingency to buy second home in late april
* sold/settled on the first home in early may
* bought/settled on the second home in late May.

I micromanaged everything, and it was very stressful. We had to move in with our nearby families for May.

As Cad wrote, a long-term contingency would be seem to be insane for sellers, but I also know there are bad sellers agents who would probably have their clients enter a bum deal. Contingencies are also weaker hands to play if there are competing bids. I suppose you could tinker with the offer and EMD to offset that.

For our contingency, we could show everything but settlement on the first house, and there would only be a month between the two settlements.

If the first house is in a shakey market, I would just focus on unloading that with as little loss as possible. Live with family or get a month to month apartment lease if you need to.

So ... my mortgage company (Freedom Mortgage) keeps lowering my rate. My loan started last year at 4.25% 30-year fixed, they 3.99% 6 months later, and are now lowering it again to 3.75%. I had to re-sign every time but was charged nothing each time. I kept trying to look for hidden charges but there doesn't seem to be any. Is this some kind of scam? I'm now sitting on a 3.75% 30-year fixed with no PMI, due to being a VA loan, but I find it hard to believe they are doing this just to help me out ...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Are they re-setting your 30 year period each time? Basically cashing out your equity to cover the closing costs for a new deal? Not that there would be that much equity after the first 6 or 12 months of a loan, but thats still tacking an extra year back on when you would have been down to 29 years otherwise...

Are they re-setting your 30 year period each time? Basically cashing out your equity to cover the closing costs for a new deal? Not that there would be that much equity after the first 6 or 12 months of a loan, but thats still tacking an extra year back on when you would have been down to 29 years otherwise...
Nope just checked. Looking at my account online I have:

- the original 360 month loan at 4.25%, which says paid off
- the 3.99% loan for 355 month period, which is active, and I made sure there was no change in principle

So it looks like the next rate drop will work the same way. One thing they do mention each time is "hey, we'll let you skip a month payment during the transfer" but I always stay at least 3-4 months ahead on payments, while also throwing in an extra $500 per payment directly to principle.