Home buying thread

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Well I'm about to become a landlord, (or slumlord depending on perspective).
I put my 1/1 up for rent and the amount of people that swarmed to it was just incredible. Even several single mothers, who did not care about only been one room. I did felt bad.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
People are functionally retarded, its the only thing that makes sense because who in their right mind would buy a $300k+ cookie cutter house that packed into a subdivision governed by a shitty HOA?
People in Los Angeles and Orange County. I'm sure in San Francisco as well. And we pay over a million. Shitty, I know.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I still live in the same lame apartment I've been in for 8 years precisely because of this. I'm just too lazy to move.
Same condo for 11 years now. And honestly, the thought of moving in to a house and filling it with shit I don't need or want vaguely terrifies me. The amount of time and money people spend on their homes is mind boggling to me. And it's not that I'm always out and about and hardly go home or anything like that. I just don't see the need for most of what comes with a house in terms of space, maintenance, and so on.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Same condo for 11 years now. And honestly, the thought of moving in to a house and filling it with shit I don't need or want vaguely terrifies me. The amount of time and money people spend on their homes is mind boggling to me. And it's not that I'm always out and about and hardly go home or anything like that. I just don't see the need for most of what comes with a house in terms of space, maintenance, and so on.
You live alone, of course you don't. 6 fucking people live in my house. I need some space.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
You live alone, of course you don't. 6 fucking people live in my house. I need some space.
Oh for sure. But I mean people who are single or married/living with a GF/BF that have 3,500 square foot houses overflowing with shit. It just boggles my mind. If I bought a house right now, the only parts of it that would be likely to have furniture in 5 years' time is my bedroom and whatever theater/entertainment room I have. Otherwise, every other room would be empty. I've been meaning to purchase art and/or pictures to put up on some of my ample bare walls for 11+ years, and truth be told I just wrote that off 5 years ago. What's the fucking point?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Oh for sure. But I mean people who are single or married/living with a GF/BF that have 3,500 square foot houses overflowing with shit. It just boggles my mind. If I bought a house right now, the only parts of it that would be likely to have furniture in 5 years' time is my bedroom and whatever theater/entertainment room I have. Otherwise, every other room would be empty. I've been meaning to purchase art and/or pictures to put up on some of my ample bare walls for 11+ years, and truth be told I just wrote that off 5 years ago. What's the fucking point?
Yea man when I lived alone I lived in a 700 sq ft apartment and parked my sport bike in my living room and spent my money on cars. Haha. But things change when you are a family man.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Eh, for perspective, my new place is 4 bedrooms, and it's just me and my fiancee. Day one, that's a master bedroom, a guest bedroom, and an office for each of us. After that it's living room, dining room, kitchen, and a study/den for couches/bookcases and my dog's bed. Semi-finished basement that has all of our workout stuff, stationary cycling trainers, weights, yoga mats, etc, then another room for my tools, workbench, and hobbies that make a mess. That's two people in a big ass house with every room spoken for, and each one serving a reasonable purpose.

I get that some people don't care about having a lot of space but it is certainly nice, even without kids.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Filling houses with bullshit is the woman's deal. I wanted a garage, office/theatre, and a workshop. Usually when you get that you end up with 3500 sq ft.

I told my gf my old 1600 sq ft place was fine for both of us, and it really was... but 3200 is twice as nice. We have 3 bedrooms with beds, sometimes we sleep in all 3 depending on what mattress I'm feeling or if i feel like thrashing or she needs to get in bed early. Our house is largely empty, but i think there's a lot to be said for empty space in a room. That "oh i have a window, i better get a table and a bunch of bullshit that has home written on it" mentality is not guaranteed with a large house.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The amount of bullshit my wife has acquired to fill our house is staggering.

By myself 1500 sq ft is fine for me, with her I need 3000. We'll need to upgrade in a couple years.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My wife and I live in a 1900 sqft house right now. Spare bedroom 1 has the extra bed so I suppose that is functional. The second spare bedroom just has some couches and is our "reading room" that to this day I don't think either of us has used to read in. We've been looking at houses and she'll see like a 3800 sqft house and be like "Oh thats nice" and she has no real justification for why we'd buy a house double our current one when we barely use even 1000 sqft of it as it is.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I lucked out (well not really). Wife preferred getting a 1600sqft townhouse that is within the beltway opposed to a 3000+ house 40min out from DC

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We have a 2000sq ft ranch and its perfect for the 4 of us. It even has a 2000sq ft basement that the kids hang out in with their buddies, its unfinished for now, but its got couches and TV, playstations and xboners down there. I could not imagine anything bigger since there are rooms not used that much already.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Big houses feel like big yards to me. Great at first for all the extra space and things you can do but then it turns into a maintenance and cleaning nightmare.

Tenks

At least you can get a riding mower for your yard and you get to be outside and drink a beer. Can't get a riding vacuum cleaner!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I have a riding mower. The allure wears off real fast and drinking a beer isn't a great idea as I learned the hard way unless you put it in a covered water bottle. Lots of dust and debris gets in there. I was really bummed by that when I tried to crack a cold one the first time I went out on the thing.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I have a riding mower. The allure wears off real fast and drinking a beer isn't a great idea as I learned the hard way unless you put it in a covered water bottle. Lots of dust and debris gets in there. I was really bummed by that when I tried to crack a cold one the first time I went out on the thing.
Fuck that shit, hire Lyrical

Tenks

My dad has hired landscapers to mow his lawn the past few years. He probably only pays a few grand over the entire season to completely remove the headache from him. Knowing me I'd be too cheap to do it, though.