Home buying thread

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So my brother is huge into banking and numbers. I was talking to him about taking money out of my 401k for a house down payment. Obviously anyone with a clue knows this is a terrible idea which is what he advised me as well. But he said there are plenty of low-interest 10% down no-PMI loans available. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Any idea if it is different in CA vs OH?
I think above 420k you're out of fha and in the open market so things change, however from what I remember jumbo loans had less favorable terms overall. It may be higher for CA, but I couldn't find anything that avoided pmi with less than 20% down or even took less than 20% down iirc. I suspect even if you get into a setup like that there will be other ways they make it up.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
So my brother is huge into banking and numbers. I was talking to him about taking money out of my 401k for a house down payment. Obviously anyone with a clue knows this is a terrible idea which is what he advised me as well. But he said there are plenty of low-interest 10% down no-PMI loans available. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Any idea if it is different in CA vs OH?
I got a house for 10% down and because my credit is so good I as able to buy off PMI for an extra 4k or so. Never heard of that option before but doesn't hurt to ask.

Vinen

God is dead
I think above 420k you're out of fha and in the open market so things change, however from what I remember jumbo loans had less favorable terms overall. It may be higher for CA, but I couldn't find anything that avoided pmi with less than 20% down or even took less than 20% down iirc. I suspect even if you get into a setup like that there will be other ways they make it up.
Jumbo loans were more favorable when my wife and I got our house (December of 2013). It was weird.

I wonder if leaving FHA-land allows for more risky plays.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I got a house for 10% down and because my credit is so good I as able to buy off PMI for an extra 4k or so. Never heard of that option before but doesn't hurt to ask.
I have really good credit as well. I'll look into that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well now is a pretty decent time to buy. Prices are pretty reasonable compared to the pre-2008 bust and mortgage rates are pretty low.

I have a VA loan through Freedom Mortgage and they just lowered my fixed rate 30-year (yet again) to 3.25%. They called me, offered to lower it for free, no closing costs, and the term didn't reset. It seems too good to be true but I check the numbers every time they open the new loan - same exact term and balance as the old loan, just lower interest rate. This is the 3rd time they've done it.

I'm assuming they do this to keep from getting poached? I do see ads for VA loans in the high 2% range ...
Yea no idea if this is a trap or not but on face value I guess it could make some sense if they don't want people to refi out of paying them interest instead of their competitors.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
How much would you have paid in PMI before you reached 20%?
Hmm, I don't remember but it was around 8k more before I hit 10% additional principal paid.

Edit 4k number might be wrong too. I don't remember the figures off the top of my head.

The option was available for people with scores above 800 I think.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So 8k vs 4k * investment opportunity lost(1.10^5?) + tax savings from deducting PMI. Maybe worth it, but I'm betting the bank has run the numbers much closer.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
i r poor
frown.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
When I refi'd my house the PMI didn't magically go away when I was 20% invested like so many people on the internet says it does. I believe it used to go away now it stays for the life of the loan. I had to refi the house to get the PMI removed.

Vinen

God is dead
When I refi'd my house the PMI didn't magically go away when I was 20% invested like so many people on the internet says it does. I believe it used to go away now it stays for the life of the loan. I had to refi the house to get the PMI removed.
It depends on the loan terms.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
There's also 80/20 or 80/10 loans. I've bought 2 houses like that. You take out a second loan for the 20% to avoid PMI on the first one. A decade later, I did the same thing but I had 10% to put down so the second loan was only 10%.

As with all anecdotal loan advice, the laws might have changed since then.

Vinen

God is dead
There's also 80/20 or 80/10 loans. I've bought 2 houses like that. You take out a second loan for the 20% to avoid PMI on the first one. A decade later, I did the same thing but I had 10% to put down so the second loan was only 10%.

As with all anecdotal loan advice, the laws might have changed since then.
Jesus. That sounds sketchy as fuck.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Jesus. That sounds sketchy as fuck.
It's perfectly common as long as you can qualify for both loans. The banks know exactly what the second loan is and the rate is a little higher on the 2nd to compensate for the risk. And you can pay down/pay off the second loan early and avoid PMI and lower your rate.

This is nothing sketchy or shady at all.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
You probably need pretty good credit and for the bank to think you're white or something. Also, on my first house since I was a first time home buyer it was easier to get the full 20% on the second loan. When buying the second house, it was easier because they knew the first house was on the market and I was planning to pay off the 10% loan when that house sold.

But to be honest, I would rather have the discipline to save up the 20% beforehand.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's perfectly common as long as you can qualify for both loans. The banks know exactly what the second loan is and the rate is a little higher on the 2nd to compensate for the risk. And you can pay down/pay off the second loan early and avoid PMI and lower your rate.

This is nothing sketchy or shady at all.
Except banks started doing this far in excess of 80/20 and even let people start taking out third and fourth loans to mortgage their properties.

It's pretty shady. The only reason these types of loans were ever created was to allow the banks' balance sheets to appear less risky than they actually were and to sell the riskier secondary, tertiary, and beyond loans as part of ridiculous financial packages to other banks/investors.

And let's be honest, creating a second loan with a higher interest rate just to get a house financed is pretty much the definition of shady business practice. Those loans weren't created to avoid PMI. They were created to get people who couldn't afford the house they were trying to buy financing.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The only 100%+ loans I was aware of when I was buying were not 80/20 loans. I think they went up to 103% or 105% and the extra had to go towards closing costs. Those definitely had PMI.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
80/20 loans weren't loans for more than a house was worth necessarily. They were loans created for people who would get denied a mortgage for the sale price of the home, even if it was a foreclosure that was selling for 15% less than appraisal value. They were made to give people mortgages on houses they would not otherwise get approved for traditionally.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Except banks started doing this far in excess of 80/20
Proof?

It's pretty shady. The only reason these types of loans were ever created was to allow the banks' balance sheets to appear less risky than they actually were and to sell the riskier secondary, tertiary, and beyond loans as part of ridiculous financial packages to other banks/investors.
Except they're still doing 80/20's today and there's no new private label securitizations since what, 2007?

And let's be honest, creating a second loan with a higher interest rate just to get a house financed is pretty much the definition of shady business practice.
How so? The first loan still has priority and will get paid off first (exactly as if the second mortgage didn't exist) and the second mortgage is known to be the second so the rate is a bit higher to compensate for that risk - the bank knows exactly what its doing when it takes on that debt or buys that mortgage. How is this shady exactly?

Those loans weren't created to avoid PMI. They were created to get people who couldn't afford the house they were trying to buy financing.
Except, if the person just borrowed 95% or 100% in one loan instead of 80/20 or 80/15/5 or whatever, they're still borrowing the same amount except now they're paying PMI and interest instead of just interest. How are they not created to avoid PMI?

Citations needed for your assertions, sir.