Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
No, its definitely worthless.

You dont know anything about our requirements, our conditions for the move, what the housing market in KY is like, or what level of "density" we would be living in. You don't know what town, or even what county. You dont know the size of the house or the area. Do you know what me or my wife wants in a house? How about how many kids we are planning to have? Do you really know anything other than "YoU sHoUlD gEt MoRe LaNd"? You don't know shit.

Houses in KY go under contract within days of being listed. Shopping around for a decent sized house with a large lot that's within the budget is very difficult, especially when we are moving in a matter of days.

Like I said, worthless advice from a person who knows nothing of my situation.

Anyways, our offer was accepted on another house. We close in May. It's a 0.4 acre lot with a creek running through it in a "high density area". Let me check the density in fact.
It's 1100 people per square mile, vs. the 7,300 people per square mile where I currently live. Yep, just like California.

I try not to shit up decent threads to much, so I'm going to say this with all due respect.

Keep your limp dicked faggot communist ass the fuck in your shit state if this is how you are going to comport yourself.

Acting like someone should know the exact specifics to coddle your sorry ass, when you haven't provided them or made them public. Why is it his job to know the shit you haven't provided?

It's about time for you to get an unexpected and rapid removal from another bar stool

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Buddy of mine just closed on what I assume is a fucking mansion in Maumelle, or whatever it is in west little rock, on that hill looking over the river / lake.

I haven't seen it, but her dad is 2.5 commas.

Why the fuck are all you assholes moving to Arkansas. It sucks. Horrible place.

I've heard california is great, you should all look at moving there

I'm not moving to Arkansas, I've been here for like 15-16 years, in West Little Rock. Maumelle is just Maumelle, it is NW of me across the river. I've been looking there as well, they just opened a new exit off I-40 which makes getting in and out 100% more convenient. Previously it was somewhat constrained by one main in/out.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'm not moving to Arkansas, I've been here for like 15-16 years, in West Little Rock. Maumelle is just Maumelle, it is NW of me across the river. I've been looking there as well, they just opened a new exit off I-40 which makes getting in and out 100% more convenient. Previously it was somewhat constrained by one main in/out.

Yeah she is over there somewhere.

Iirc on the south bank of the river on that hill / mountain right off of 40.

Supposed to have a nice view of the river.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Look at the density per zip code. There are multiple zip codes for most towns. That's where I pulled my data from that you are now laughing at. It's linked above in the 72736 link. Downtown Gravette doesn't apply to me like downtown Bentonville doesn't apply. It takes me 15 to 20 minutes to get to Main Street in Gravette or the Bentonville Square. Like I said - outside of city limits.

View attachment 344950

I'd say you'd want at least 2 acres. What you want to look at is the distance to your neighbors house. Aim for more than 150 feet IMHO. Depending on the size of the property you may need more acres than 2. Those long skinny tracts suck.

I try not to shit up decent threads to much, so I'm going to say this with all due respect.

Keep your limp dicked faggot communist ass the fuck in your shit state if this is how you are going to comport yourself.

Acting like someone should know the exact specifics to coddle your sorry ass, when you haven't provided them or made them public. Why is it his job to know the shit you haven't provided?

It's about time for you to get an unexpected and rapid removal from another bar stool

LOL, youre a hypocritical and insufferable cunt to evey single person on this board and probably in the world. Youre also a worthless IRS employee that pisses and moans about the government. Youre probably the 2nd biggest loudmouth hypocrite on these boards after Xeq.

Why is it his job to offer unasked, unsolicited advice without knowing any of the specifics?

You should keep your mouth shut as well because you know even less than he does

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
LOL, youre a hypocritical and insufferable cunt to evey single person on this board and probably in the world. Youre also a worthless IRS employee that pisses and moans about the government. Youre probably the 2nd biggest loudmouth hypocrite on these boards after Xeq.

Why is it his job to offer unasked, unsolicited advice without knowing any of the specifics?

You should keep your mouth shut as well because you know even less than he does

You posting here implies solicitation.

You should start a blog if you don't want responses to you pussy aching

• 1Worf

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, its definitely worthless.

You dont know anything about our requirements, our conditions for the move, what the housing market in KY is like, or what level of "density" we would be living in. You don't know what town, or even what county. You dont know the size of the house or the area. Do you know what me or my wife wants in a house? How about how many kids we are planning to have? Do you really know anything other than "YoU sHoUlD gEt MoRe LaNd"? You don't know shit.

Houses in KY go under contract within days of being listed. Shopping around for a decent sized house with a large lot that's within the budget is very difficult, especially when we are moving in a matter of days.

Like I said, worthless advice from a person who knows nothing of my situation.

Anyways, our offer was accepted on another house. We close in May. It's a 0.4 acre lot with a creek running through it in a "high density area". Let me check the density in fact.
It's 1100 people per square mile, vs. the 7,300 people per square mile where I currently live. Yep, just like California.
Requirement number one: California is a liberal shithole; move out of California.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I'd say you'd want at least 2 acres. What you want to look at is the distance to your neighbors house. Aim for more than 150 feet IMHO. Depending on the size of the property you may need more acres than 2. Those long skinny tracts suck.

How do you know my neghbors arent already more than 150 feet away?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, Quandry for Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and myself.

We've lived in this house I've owned for quite some time. (Bought in 2001), and it's inside of LBJ in Dallas (Dallas people will understand that, essentially it's definitely "in the city" and not the burbs). House has accrued to around 3x the price I paid for it in 20 years ago.

I always thought I was buying into the neighborhood at the low and going to ride the cycle to the top in terms of neighborhood quality. We're in the phase where there's a lot of house flipping going on and driving up property values here right now. But at the same time we're seeing increases in crime, and things like "Count the number of nights this week we heard gunshots". Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus comes from a far flung little town north of Dallas (which has since been absorbed by suburbia), and wants to get the hell out of "Dallas Proper". I've lived in "Dallas Proper" my whole life, but don't hate the idea completely.

There's a tiny little town called Randolph up to the NE of Dallas. About an hour and a half from downtown Dallas. It's the center of the farming communities my family came from (Grandparents moved into Dallas in the 50's). And I have been wistfully watching zillow and realtor.com lately watching for land. The idea for me was find some reasonably priced land, and then park a doublewide on it while we plan/have built our dream "rest of our days" house. Then this pops up:

*MOD EDIT (possible personal information), mod has provided a pic to show the intent of the post
713bb16834447687787b6d540976239d.jpg

(msg mod Lanx Lanx for any issues)

And it's like fate poking me. Literally on the pic of the land that spot to the left on the picture is quite literally the cemetery my grandparents are buried in. Slightly smaller house, but I'd get a dream barn/workshop from the looks of things, stocked fishing pond, and an aviary, with enough room to plant a small peach orchard if I wanted or just harvest hay from it from side money. Only real question is if Broadband internet access if effective and stable out there. (They can get cable, which indicates cable internet, but would definitely prefer DSL/Fiber)

Originally I was thinking buying land in the $100k-$200k range, then building out on it over time. So something I could do with the capital I have on hand right now. (I have a 401K with a lot in it, but obviously don't want to touch that, have some stock through my company, but I'd also rather let that accrue value too, have some savings, side stock, crypto, etc I was figuring to leverage here). The real goal was to keep this house and rent it out until the neighborhood hits peak value then sell it.

The problem is to get a 20% down for this place in Randolph I'd have to either liquidate all my company stock, tap the 401k, or sell this house outright (at which point I'd just pile the proceeds towards the Randolph place buy it).

Am I being a pussy by not just going all in and selling my current place and moving? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

House has accrued to around 3x the price I paid for it in 20 years ago.

Am I being a pussy by not just going all in and selling my current place and moving? Thoughts?
Sounds like a productive asset. I'd keep it and rent it out, if you paid that little your rent margin will be high. Use the rent margin to finance the new place.

If you don't have the down payment for the new place yet, save up until you do, and rent out at that time.

My $0.02

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

We've lived in this house I've owned for quite some time. (Bought in 2001), and it's inside of LBJ in Dallas (Dallas people will understand that, essentially it's definitely "in the city" and not the burbs). House has accrued to around 3x the price I paid for it in 20 years ago.

I always thought I was buying into the neighborhood at the low and going to ride the cycle to the top in terms of neighborhood quality. We're in the phase where there's a lot of house flipping going on and driving up property values here right now. But at the same time we're seeing increases in crime, and things like "Count the number of nights this week we heard gunshots". Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus comes from a far flung little town north of Dallas (which has since been absorbed by suburbia), and wants to get the hell out of "Dallas Proper". I've lived in "Dallas Proper" my whole life, but don't hate the idea completely.

There's a tiny little town called Randolph up to the NE of Dallas. About an hour and a half from downtown Dallas. It's the center of the farming communities my family came from (Grandparents moved into Dallas in the 50's). And I have been wistfully watching zillow and realtor.com lately watching for land. The idea for me was find some reasonably priced land, and then park a doublewide on it while we plan/have built our dream "rest of our days" house. Then this pops up:

*MOD EDIT

And it's like fate poking me. Literally on the pic of the land that spot to the left on the picture is quite literally the cemetery my grandparents are buried in. Slightly smaller house, but I'd get a dream barn/workshop from the looks of things, stocked fishing pond, and an aviary, with enough room to plant a small peach orchard if I wanted or just harvest hay from it from side money. Only real question is if Broadband internet access if effective and stable out there. (They can get cable, which indicates cable internet, but would definitely prefer DSL/Fiber)

Originally I was thinking buying land in the $100k-$200k range, then building out on it over time. So something I could do with the capital I have on hand right now. (I have a 401K with a lot in it, but obviously don't want to touch that, have some stock through my company, but I'd also rather let that accrue value too, have some savings, side stock, crypto, etc I was figuring to leverage here). The real goal was to keep this house and rent it out until the neighborhood hits peak value then sell it.

The problem is to get a 20% down for this place in Randolph I'd have to either liquidate all my company stock, tap the 401k, or sell this house outright (at which point I'd just pile the proceeds towards the Randolph place buy it).

Just look into buying it without 20% down. Putting that much down in today's day and age (and rates) doesn't make sense to me anymore. I've done quite well putting down 5-10% and putting the rest in an index fund.

Last edited by a moderator:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Sounds like a productive asset. I'd keep it and rent it out, if you paid that little your rent margin will be high. Use the rent margin to finance the new place.

If you don't have the down payment for the new place yet, save up until you do, and rent out at that time.

My $0.02

Primary residence exclusion could make selling it the best bet.

Esp if the area is going to shit.

Rental income will be taxed, tenants, dealing with the uncertainty of the housing market...

Sell it, and get your dream spot imo

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
House is going live tomorrow morning. Now I gotta be ready to leave whenever there's a showing. Hopefully this goes fast and get good offers. I'm exhausted.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Seven showings in two days with a lot of positive feedback. No one has mentioned anything about it being priced too high or any real tangible issues with the house. The main complaint feedback is that the layout is unique and just not for them. I mean the only real feedback that matters at all is an actual offer. And I can't even argue with them. Knew going in the main challenge with the house would be the fairly unique layout of it is going to have to appeal to specific people. It just isn't generally a "standard" type of house.

Meeting with Realtor today to discuss options. She's concerned that in this market that there weren't any offers out of the 7 showings. I don't even have any scheduled for today yet. Which brings me to my real irritation with this process...

Technically I'm living here but have all but moved out the past two days just so leaving and coming back isn't a hassle and so working is more stable. But here's the thing. The Buyer's Realtor goes on some site, requests a showing. The site texts me to confirm the date / time is okay, and I text back. Then they can reschedule, cancel, whatever. Why am I managing this? I'm working 60 hours a week as it is and my realtor wants 6% (or 3.4% split) to do what? Why isn't she dealing with this bullshit. I'm on conference calls, in meetings, and drowning in my actual work, plus having to deal with answering texts and figuring out a showing schedule.

Hoping the weekend shows a little more activity. Purposefully not doing an open house b/c that would emphasize that parking and access through the alley and not the streetside of the house is somewhat inconvenient. And really don't want 5 people showing up and trying to park, back out the alley, or walk 50 yards uphill in the front yard and up two flights of deck stairs and being like "fuck this house."

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We close on our house today. I'm sure I mentioned this but in February we sold after 3 days on the market with 40+ groups of people coming through during the open house, with 5 offers above asking. We bought our new house pre-market, making an offer about an hour after we walked through it and beating out 2 other offers (we offered full asking). My wife wrote a letter to the sellers which they said sealed the deal for us.

Intrinsic Intrinsic any updates on your situation?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Seven showings in two days with a lot of positive feedback. No one has mentioned anything about it being priced too high or any real tangible issues with the house. The main complaint feedback is that the layout is unique and just not for them. I mean the only real feedback that matters at all is an actual offer. And I can't even argue with them. Knew going in the main challenge with the house would be the fairly unique layout of it is going to have to appeal to specific people. It just isn't generally a "standard" type of house.

Meeting with Realtor today to discuss options. She's concerned that in this market that there weren't any offers out of the 7 showings. I don't even have any scheduled for today yet. Which brings me to my real irritation with this process...

Technically I'm living here but have all but moved out the past two days just so leaving and coming back isn't a hassle and so working is more stable. But here's the thing. The Buyer's Realtor goes on some site, requests a showing. The site texts me to confirm the date / time is okay, and I text back. Then they can reschedule, cancel, whatever. Why am I managing this? I'm working 60 hours a week as it is and my realtor wants 6% (or 3.4% split) to do what? Why isn't she dealing with this bullshit. I'm on conference calls, in meetings, and drowning in my actual work, plus having to deal with answering texts and figuring out a showing schedule.

Hoping the weekend shows a little more activity. Purposefully not doing an open house b/c that would emphasize that parking and access through the alley and not the streetside of the house is somewhat inconvenient. And really don't want 5 people showing up and trying to park, back out the alley, or walk 50 yards uphill in the front yard and up two flights of deck stairs and being like "fuck this house."

Tell your realtor to handle it and just text you when to gtfo of the house. If they whine, fire them.

In this market Im sure there are realtors half-assing it bc they can and others who are working their asses off bc they see the opportunity. Find the latter.

Shitty realtors are the worst. Don’t do their job for them.