Home buying thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, I'm underwhelmed. We ended up with just 3 people coming to see it over the first 3 days (one the night it was posted, the next on Friday who put in an offer, and the third on Saturday morning). No interest today apparently.

Our Zillow estimate was like $343k or something, and we listed at $315k based on the comps the agent pulled (we do have a lot of new construction nearby which fucks the Zillow estimate a bit, making it higher than it probably should be).

For as little inventory as there appears to be (agent said we're at about half of what's been there the last 2-3 years, and 1/3 of "normal" years), I'm kind of annoyed.
So update is that we only ever got the 3 viewings. We accepted the contingent offer from the first day, at full price. They dropped the price of their home twice over a weekend to sell it. They asked for some minor repairs, but we should be closing Friday.

I'm assuming closing never gets pushed up? It seems like we could've closed any day over the last week, but my guess is they don't move it forward for monetary reasons? Not a huge deal, would just like to get rid of this mortgage and cancel the utilities as soon as possible, so we can cut ties to California.

That said, we still haven't found a place to live in Florida. The market here is brutal.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
We close on our house today. I'm sure I mentioned this but in February we sold after 3 days on the market with 40+ groups of people coming through during the open house, with 5 offers above asking. We bought our new house pre-market, making an offer about an hour after we walked through it and beating out 2 other offers (we offered full asking). My wife wrote a letter to the sellers which they said sealed the deal for us.

Intrinsic Intrinsic any updates on your situation?

Yeah so....

Got an offer of basically full price after 5 days. Accepted same day with one counter that had to do with some closing costs, conveying the refrigerator, and one other small thing. Then started the waiting process.

On Sunday my realtor texted me a question about an insurance claim that wasn’t disclosed in the seller agreement but popped up when the buyers went to check on insurance for the purchase. I asked her what she was talking about because I had disclosed the new roof a couple years back and new kitchen from last year. Then it occurred to me I had initially asked the insurance company about some possible flood damage due to a burst pipe. The repair only ended up being $500 (that the realtor’s handyman did, dry wall and about a 10” section of the-pipe) so I didn’t even go through with it. Apparently this still shows up, which I had no idea about. So I guess the buyers were worried. She supposedly explained it to the other realtor.

Went to Disney last week and on Wednesday in line for Peter Pan my realtor called and said the buyers were backing out. The inspection and appraisal had been Monday. According to my realtor the appraisal was fine but the buyers weren’t happy with the inspection. The buyer’s realtor was unwilling to let us see a copy of the report to figure out what was so bad. I was pissed and my realtor was just like “Oh well it happens some times! Maybe we have better luck next! Let’s reduce the price to get more visibility!” I told her fuck that we need more information, I’m at Disney and will be back this weekend.

Met with her Sunday and she had the report from the buyer’s inspector. I had offered the buyers the inspection I paid for just two weeks ago to hopefully avoid any surprises. From a highly recommended local guy. And yeah, from purchasing my house and other’s experiences I know they can vary. My inspector found a couple loose toilets and an ungrounded gas main that the gas company needed to fix. The buyer’s inspector found about 100 things. Every category in his report had 2-3 deficiencies. And it was stupid shit like “Strike and Latch don’t match on master bathroom door preventing door from closing. This could indicate foundation problems with the house settling.” Know what it was? The FUCKING towel holder on the top of the door. The door closes perfectly if you remove that. And he listed just a litany of other issues. Missing one 1” knockout seal on sub panel, panel may have water damage or rodent damage, needs repair. And on and on. Stuff that I took care of about 50% with a trip to Lowe’s and $30-$50.

No counter from Buyer’s asking to get it fixed, just straight terminated contract.

Anyways, back on the market. Three showings today. Not moving my price yet. Plumber coming to fix the loose seats, a leak in one toilet seat, a leak in the master bath shower head, and they’re going to check the water pressure bc the inspector said it was too high and could represent a problem with the water system. On and there was a slight indication of rust on the hot water heater where a fitting may have dripped once 8 years ago that he said could indicate a bad hot water heater and needs replaced.

I’ll probably be using this hard ass when I go to buy a house. And am kind of pissed at the guy I paid $400 for the pre-listing inspection who didn’t point out a single thing.

• 1WTF
  • 1Triggered
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Backing out based on the inspection report without giving you a chance to fix things sounds like they was another reason and they used it as an excuse.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, from what I've heard, you can nitpick the shit out of everything as an inspector. They do it so they're not liable if they miss something, but this one sounds like he went way overboard. Either way, minor things are pretty ridiculous to back out for, so I'd agree with Fogel they just didn't want the house at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That inspection is crazy, definitely agree with Fogel it sounds like they backed out for some other reason and used the inspection as an excuse... or else they are NEVER going to be happy with an inspection and might as well just build their own house.

Our inspectors did the same too but we ignored most of it because it was such nitpicky shit that who cares. Plus we were both there during the inspection so we could look at stuff they were pointing out and decide if it mattered to us or not. We asked for 3 things... fix a broken garbage disposal, $1,000 credit to fix masonry damage at the top of the chimney, and confirmation that the fridge lights worked and just needed to be replaced (it's a built in Sub Zero so I wasn't about to pay for major repairs if it was busted).

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I agree with everyone in that it seems more like they were looking for an excuse. I’ll take responsibility for the insurance thing if it contributed to their uneasiness but honestly feel it was my realtor’s job to also shake that tree. She knows I’m a first time seller and sold me this house as my first home. It’s her third time to sell it.

Anyways, tried not to leave anything out just so I’d seem like better person. Just seemed to be a bad situation and the communication / guidance from my realtor was the most frustrating part. I’m contracted with her for 6 months or otherwise don’t know how to break it. Considering not using her too buy my home though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Received another full offer but it is an FHA. Faster closing with May 24th, out by 27th.

Not sure what all the risks are that involve the FHA offer so am looking in to that.

I’ll probably get screwed again.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
FHA inspections have nitpicky things you have to fix.

Shouldn't be a huge deal

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Received another full offer but it is an FHA. Faster closing with May 24th, out by 27th.

Not sure what all the risks are that involve the FHA offer so am looking in to that.

I’ll probably get screwed again.

It’s a great time to sell a house. Don’t put a dark cloud over the whole situation yourself. Wait for one to show up, otherwise enjoy the sunshine.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every chance it could have been extended (again). But yea, things are about to get interesting.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
There is no set up at all for a foreclosure crisis. Savings rates are at record highs, cash levels and equity levels all at extremely high levels. Home owners at no point in our lifetimes have been better positioned to avoid foreclosure. The amount of equity alone is insane. Sure there will be foreclosures but for most people the value of people's homes has grown far in excess of their borrowings against those homes.

We are Americans so at some point people will tap that new found wealth but that has barely even begun. I appreciate those looking for some bear schadenfreude to end the crazy but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
There is no set up at all for a foreclosure crisis. Savings rates are at record highs, cash levels and equity levels all at extremely high levels. Home owners at no point in our lifetimes have been better positioned to avoid foreclosure. The amount of equity alone is insane. Sure there will be foreclosures but for most people the value of people's homes has grown far in excess of their borrowings against those homes.

We are Americans so at some point people will tap that new found wealth but that has barely even begun. I appreciate those looking for some bear schadenfreude to end the crazy but I wouldn't hold my breath.

So... ETH to 100k?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

With inflation, interest on the rise, free gov money that will go away, 16 month foreclosure moratorium, and ATH lumber costs you’re bullish on the housing market???

What am I missing?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
With inflation, interest on the rise, free gov money that will go away, 16 month foreclosure moratorium, and ATH lumber costs you’re bullish on the housing market???

What am I missing?
I just explained it to you. but to address your points.

1. Inflation means you can keep borrowing against new found equity.
2 It could take years for interest rates to even hit a normalized level
3.. Free gov money going away will hurt, lots of the free gov money has gone to non home owners. You think this is some big negative?
4. You think the housing market prices are being supported by renters? I can't even...
5. Construction costs will hamper new construction limiting supply and you think this hurts prices?

I don't want to be insulting to you but have you even thought your position through? I could actually list bearish threats to housing you seemed to have rattled off a list of strengths...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard

What am I missing?
All I know is I am taking my money and running. GF and I were running errands last Saturday and half the cars we saw had California plates. RE agent I know said he hasn't sold a house to a local in a long time. Going to list the house first week in June and hope the circus will be short. A while ago, I saw two brand new Range Rovers with Cali plates, and a while later they were parked in front of a tiny old house and the woman was making house shaped gestures with her hands. 5 years ago no one would have considered it, but now it is hot property.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I just explained it to you. but to address your points.

1. Inflation means you can keep borrowing against new found equity.
2 It could take years for interest rates to even hit a normalized level
3.. Free gov money going away will hurt, lots of the free gov money has gone to non home owners. You think this is some big negative?
4. You think the housing market prices are being supported by renters? I can't even...
5. Construction costs will hamper new construction limiting supply and you think this hurts prices?

I don't want to be insulting to you but have you even thought your position through? I could actually list bearish threats to housing you seemed to have rattled off a list of strengths...

Yea. The thought being that the market is artificially constricted. As things normalize the prices will come down.

As these factors change housing prices will come down: lumber prices come down making new homes cheaper, housing inventory goes up as they continue to build, 16 mo’s of foreclosures enter the market, and interest rates increase meaning people borrow less.

People who lost everything aren’t flush w cash. And three $1400 checks aren’t going to keep them out of foreclosure. Am I missing something?

I don’t think renters effect home ownership. Did you think I meant evictions instead of foreclosures?

These are my thoughts. And even still I would bet on your opinion over mine. Which is why I was asking for clarification.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Yea. The thought being that the market is artificially constricted. As things normalize the prices will come down.

As these factors change housing prices will come down: lumber prices come down making new homes cheaper, housing inventory goes up, 16 mo’s of foreclosures enter the market, and interest rates increase meaning people borrow less.

People who lost everything aren’t flush w cash. And three $1400 checks aren’t going to keep the out of foreclosure.

I don’t think renters effect home ownership. Did you think I meant evictions instead of foreclosures?

These are my thoughts. And even still I would bet on your opinion over mine. Which is why I was asking for clarification.

You clearly think the economy ie the people are in some dire straights. They are not we are in the midst of an epic boom, people who lost everything? Yeah it's shitty and nowhere near enough people to matter a hill of beans. American families are better off than at any point in your life time with cash. You just aren't looking at the data and just going on feels.

So now you explain you don't think there is inflation coming so home construction costs will go down?

Stop having thoughts, just follow the data. Housing is a much slower moving beast than equities, it is driven by demographics. We have a big ass population bubble called millennials moving out of cities and buying houses. They are bigger than the baby boomers who drove the 80-90s boom. They aren't going to just stop in a few months. There is tremendous demand for affordable housing far more than we can meet. The well off will continue to fuck the working class via their purchasing power. It is going to be neigh impossible to meet housing demand in the near term. Lumber prices should mitigate some but this RE boom started before the pandemic (around 2016). Some moderation is likely but the trend is in place and that is up. I am hoping housing sees more technological disruption. It's what is desperately needed. We need innovation to help meet this demand and drive housing affordability the other direction like it has in so many other sectors.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users