Home buying thread

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In my new house the fireplace is definitely the focal point of our family room and I refused to put the tv on top of it so it's on one of the side walls. Maybe I'll post a picture and you guys can laugh at me when we get all of our furniture but that won't be for 3 or 4 more months due to 20 week wait on our couch and chairs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
In my new house the fireplace is definitely the focal point of our family room and I refused to put the tv on top of it so it's on one of the side walls. Maybe I'll post a picture and you guys can laugh at me when we get all of our furniture but that won't be for 3 or 4 more months due to 20 week wait on our couch and chairs.
20 week wait b/c of covid wood?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
May I suggest finding some older house you like and copying it? Older houses were actually built with costs in mind. For example having the kitchen/bathroom share walls to save on plumbing. VS running pipes into every fucking room of the house. Also having only a couple types of windows vs 4 styles. Less weird roof angles etc etc.

Also if you say what region/temp you are looking at some houses are way better for your enviroment.

Plus they all look so much better than the things designed today by people copying ideas and not understanding them.

How many bed bath you lookin to have? and what features?

for example this is actually a 4 bed 2.5 bath. With a designed in place for more storage or steps to a basement. Depending on your want. View attachment 357714
We are past that stage, we have the design we want. I was in construction for 15 yrs and realize we are making choices that cost money not really worried about pinching pennies to that extent. I only plan on doing this once in my life so within reason I'm going to build the house that we want vs most efficient possible.

My 3d model coming along well. (The horizontal siding is just a texture right now with no depth) I did hire my engineer yesterday and hope to have house priced out soon.
Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
All 4 places we went said it was related to the foam for cushions.
ha speaking of foam, i bought a foam gun at the tail end of home owner in ks, so i didn't have much use for it, always used the disposable cans, gun is so much better, i get to use it alot soon for new home

also a dripless caulk gun, time to make nice beads again.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We are past that stage, we have the design we want. I was in construction for 15 yrs and realize we are making choices that cost money not really worried about pinching pennies to that extent. I only plan on doing this once in my life so within reason I'm going to build the house that we want vs most efficient possible.

My 3d model coming along well. (The horizontal siding is just a texture right now with no depth) I did hire my engineer yesterday and hope to have house priced out soon.
View attachment 357745
View attachment 357746
man thats a lot of slopes, is your house being built in china?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
20 week wait b/c of covid wood?
Can't remember what thread I posted it in, but yeah, it's part of the "everything shortage."

We sold almost everything in our move from CA to FL and I realized in retrospect that it was a massive mistake. Furniture was 8-16 weeks backordered. Finding a place to rent was a nightmare. Washer and dryer were super expensive and took weeks to deliver.

The country is a mess right now.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Can't remember what thread I posted it in, but yeah, it's part of the "everything shortage."

We sold almost everything in our move from CA to FL and I realized in retrospect that it was a massive mistake. Furniture was 8-16 weeks backordered. Finding a place to rent was a nightmare. Washer and dryer were super expensive and took weeks to deliver.

The country is a mess right now.
i'm still debating if i want to take my w&d or just leave em and do a front loader upgrade.

i hate front loaders and electronics, but... they make the house pretty

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i'm still debating if i want to take my w&d or just leave em and do a front loader upgrade.

i hate front loaders and electronics, but... they make the house pretty
Is the person you are buying from taking theirs with them?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The foam shortage is also why it's impossible to get motorcycles or ATVs right now. No foam for seats.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 357745
View attachment 357746

Looks great. But you do have 4 diff size windows on the front 😬

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nija

<Silver Donator>
The house I bought in AR is nearly 3850 square feet but that includes a 26x14 bonus room above the garage. Projector room in progress. I could get pics of that, but it's very in progress.

As for wasted space, the main entry area of this house is quite large. It came in handy during Thanksgiving, as we actually seated 22 people at tables, with zero people on couches or in the living rooms. I put another large fold out table near the front door. My kitchen has "breakfast area" that fits a 6 person table just fine, that's what we use daily with my family of 5. My "dining table" is covered in project related items - replacing switches with Lutron dimmers, plus random shit that you can pick out if you want... shocks and struts for the van sitting piled up, waiting for a free day to install. Buckets and softballs for the new team I'm starting, speaker wire, mole/gopher poison to use at the ball field, as I'm trying to use actual traps here, and a weed burner. Total staging area. Drives my wife nuts considering I have a 60x40 shop where all this could/should be at the moment! ::effort:: Then I have a pretty cool library/office that I wouldn't have done myself, but it came set up this way. The pillars are totally not my style, but again, there are more important projects to do first.

signal-2021-06-10-083813_002.jpegsignal-2021-06-10-083813_003.jpegsignal-2021-06-10-083813_001.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The house I bought in AR is nearly 3850 square feet but that includes a 26x14 bonus room above the garage. Projector room in progress. I could get pics of that, but it's very in progress.

As for wasted space, the main entry area of this house is quite large. It came in handy during Thanksgiving, as we actually seated 22 people at tables, with zero people on couches or in the living rooms. I put another large fold out table near the front door. My kitchen has "breakfast area" that fits a 6 person table just fine, that's what we use daily with my family of 5. My "dining table" is covered in project related items - replacing switches with Lutron dimmers, plus random shit that you can pick out if you want... shocks and struts for the van sitting piled up, waiting for a free day to install. Buckets and softballs for the new team I'm starting, speaker wire, mole/gopher poison to use at the ball field, as I'm trying to use actual traps here, and a weed burner. Total staging area. Drives my wife nuts considering I have a 60x40 shop where all this could/should be at the moment! ::effort:: Then I have a pretty cool library/office that I wouldn't have done myself, but it came set up this way. The pillars are totally not my style, but again, there are more important projects to do first.

View attachment 357749View attachment 357748View attachment 357750
yea house hunting i saw a lot new construction w/ those pillars in 2015-2020 houses

but they were also bigger and had all "open concept" so i don't believe they were decrative and were probably load bearing pillars.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
yea house hunting i saw a lot new construction w/ those pillars in 2015-2020 houses

but they were also bigger and had all "open concept" so i don't believe they were decrative and were probably load bearing pillars.

I think you are right about load bearing, especially the one in the center of the room. This house was built in 2003.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Had my offer accepted last Friday, did the inspection yesterday.

It's a 100+ year old farmhouse that's been updated. Needs a new roof and some better vapor barriers in the crawl spaces, but I knew that going in. Electrical is sound and plumbing is brand new.

It has a separate second floor unit with a tenant. They are an engineer that is using the space as an office during the day. Not there nights or weekends. Pays 1k per month.

1.2 acres in a quiet town in Western mass. 25 minute commute.

Needs a ton of tiny upgrades and finish projects but overall I am happy. Floors are refinished old wood.

Has a garage/ shed in the back

Propane heat, town sewer and water and a disconnected drilled well that still works great.

Overall the inspection went really well.

I did 20% down at asking price and got it. There was another offer at 15k over asking but apparently they were dicking around getting financing approved and my agent made their agent look like a noob.

I assume the other offer was real as the owner didn't want to show it to me at first.

Should be fun times ahead.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

View attachment 357745
View attachment 357746

no offense bro. That house is uhh... bad. Your roof lines are all over the place. Having 40 different heights and angles is gonna come back to haunt you.

There is a reason Roofs used to be only a couple angles. With a design like that you will need major gutters. Also whats the point of the gable decoration? it doesn't work with the style. Also the heaviest looking floor should be on the bottom. And why does only one window on the bottom have a roof over it?

Also its been shown that smaller houses with more communal areas leads to a closer healthier family rather than letting people retreat 24/7. Plus the bedrooms are giant. You might want to consider smaller ones to encourage children to not just sit in their room all day. Base size and position on function. Function of bedrooms is to sleep and change. Maybe read a book on the bed for a bit to get away from people.

1623341006292.png

this is 4 bedroom. with a kitchen / dinning room. seperate living room. seperate rec room. And a utility mudroom between the garage/kitchen.

The roof line on your house alone adds thousands upon thousands of dollars and a lot of construction headache. Are you in a very snowy area? Your angle is so extreme and roof so tall its like you are in maine.

With a house like the one above you can actually even cut costs by using the really nice prebuilt trusses and it still has plenty of attic space to run the hvac.

*edit look at the house above and the feel/weight of the house compared to the roof. Your house feels like its being smooshed by your roof.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2600sqft home. 5 rooms. 2 bath. full kitchen. dining room. living room. stairs for a basement. not the best example of what you want. but just more example of efficiency of design with looks. Yes this house a lot of angles on the roof but they are all the same angles with good flow and and unlike yours which has all of the rain flow going to the doorway/porch its main flow areas lead away from where people would most likely be.

1623341759594.png
1623341770015.png

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
2600sqft home. 5 rooms. 2 bath. full kitchen. dining room. living room. stairs for a basement. not the best example of what you want. but just more example of efficiency of design with looks. Yes this house a lot of angles on the roof but they are all the same angles with good flow and and unlike yours which has all of the rain flow going to the doorway/porch its main flow areas lead away from where people would most likely be.

View attachment 357794View attachment 357795
tldr

best efficient use of space and design is the swastika house