Home buying thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gravel Gravel can you not delay your "vaccination attempt" for some reason?!
That might've been an option if we had a September, or maybe even first week of October, closing date, but with it being almost at the end of October, there's no way.

I'd actually have to get a first dose in September, and would even have time for the second one.

The vaccine mandate came after we put in the offer which is why we're in this predicament. It sucks, but it's been a risk the entire time. I just didn't anticipate our closing date shifting so far to the right.

Like, I could just work on it during the weekend and finish in less time. All that's left is flooring, plumbing (water heater, 2 toilets, 4 faucets, 2 showers), grading half the property (half was done when we went yesterday), and laying sod. I don't see how that's going to take 6 weeks, even with subbing out to different companies.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Well fuck. This construction company fucked me. We were supposed to close sometime in September. Wife and I had been going by every week to check on progress, and in August the only things they accomplished were laying the driveway. We had an angry conversation with our realtor, and then the construction company last Friday. They blamed it on covid that they weren't able to get an electrician in.

Miraculously the electric was completed this week.

They just reached out and said our closing would now be October 19. Basically a month later than we expected. Only problem is my employer fucking sucks massive cocks and has a mandatory vaccine policy in place, and I'm not doing it. I put my exemption in today, and maybe it'll get approved. But I'm expecting it won't be and I'll get fired/quit before the end of the month. There's a chance if that happens that we can explain to the lender our financial situation (we have enough cash to cover like 3 years of mortgage/insurance/taxes, plus another 7-8 years in liquid investments we could use to cover it too). Not sure if they'll go for it or not though.

But what I'm expecting is this all blows up and we just never own a home ever again. Rent rates are going to make retirement pretty difficult (I mentioned we're paying $1900/mo now, where the mortgage would be about $1200; so about $8k a year we need to come up with, indefinitely, not inflation adjusted). So yeah, whole thing is a pile of shit.
Well, you are clearly at a departure point right now where one wrong decision can fuck up the rest of your life.

I think you have to pause and very carefully evaluate your stance on getting vaccinated vs the financial impact of not getting a jab. In your case, you can get fucked pretty hard if you don't. What WILL happen to you if you don't get the jab is your company will fire you. What WILL happen next is your loan will vanish in a second. And then from there? All those 10's of thousands in moving costs will be GONE and you'll be stuck renting a shitbox and can't move because you are unemployed and no one will hire you....and pickings get **mighty** fucking slim at your age.

I'm not picking on you in particular, just outlining the way things go...the way things ALWAYS go.

I'm not willing to go into VERSUS mode on you about vaccines and things. The least dangerous is the J&J vaccine. If I was in your situation, I'd get that J&J jab and be done with the thing AND have my job and a house to stay in AND just be done with the drama at least for a few years.

In three months, you won't remember the hand-wringing. You'll be in your new house and your wife will be happy reading in her nook or whatever. Or, you can skip the poke and be fucked.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Man, it's fucking insane that we're arguing about the "safest" shit you can put in your body and comparing it to money you can lose.

It's fucking money man. Let it go. Stand by your principles and let the chips fall where they may. Don't buy into the bullshit, call their fucking bluff.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, you are clearly at a departure point right now where one wrong decision can fuck up the rest of your life.

I think you have to pause and very carefully evaluate your stance on getting vaccinated vs the financial impact of not getting a jab. In your case, you can get fucked pretty hard if you don't. What WILL happen to you if you don't get the jab is your company will fire you. What WILL happen next is your loan will vanish in a second. And then from there? All those 10's of thousands in moving costs will be GONE and you'll be stuck renting a shitbox and can't move because you are unemployed and no one will hire you....and pickings get **mighty** fucking slim at your age.

I'm not picking on you in particular, just outlining the way things go...the way things ALWAYS go.

I'm not willing to go into VERSUS mode on you about vaccines and things. The least dangerous is the J&J vaccine. If I was in your situation, I'd get that J&J jab and be done with the thing AND have my job and a house to stay in AND just be done with the drama at least for a few years.

In three months, you won't remember the hand-wringing. You'll be in your new house and your wife will be happy reading in her nook or whatever. Or, you can skip the poke and be fucked.
What's it like to have absolutely no conviction? Leaving aside the vaccination debate, I'm not about to let a corporation dictate to me what I should do. Especially when it's a medical decision.

You're also making a lot of assumptions about me that don't apply (and had you read my post that would've been apparent). The ONLY reason I need this job, heck, am still employed, is to get a mortgage. The plan is to retire. If I don't get my religious exemption, I retire immediately. Yeah, we don't get the house, but it's just a house. We'll manage just fine. It's not going to ruin us. It's going to be an annoyance for sure, but it's one my wife and I have discussed and we're both good either way. We either get a house in 6 weeks and then retire, or start our early retirement in the next 5-10 days.

• 2Like
  • 2Slow
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What's it like to have absolutely no conviction? Leaving aside the vaccination debate, I'm not about to let a corporation dictate to me what I should do. Especially when it's a medical decision.

You're also making a lot of assumptions about me that don't apply (and had you read my post that would've been apparent). The ONLY reason I need this job, heck, am still employed, is to get a mortgage. The plan is to retire. If I don't get my religious exemption, I retire immediately. Yeah, we don't get the house, but it's just a house. We'll manage just fine. It's not going to ruin us. It's going to be an annoyance for sure, but it's one my wife and I have discussed and we're both good either way. We either get a house in 6 weeks and then retire, or start our early retirement in the next 5-10 days.
this is not the time to be renting tho
8899666f0bda162df95bcb6d4eb5e4e1.png

• 2Worf

Fucker

Log Wizard

You are being obtuse. I simply outlined what is going to happen to you if you follow the course of action that you are on... based upon information you gave.

You said,

"But what I'm expecting is this all blows up and we just never own a home ever again. Rent rates are going to make retirement pretty difficult (I mentioned we're paying $1900/mo now, where the mortgage would be about $1200; so about $8k a year we need to come up with, indefinitely, not inflation adjusted). So yeah, whole thing is a pile of shit."

Should I be more succinct? You and your WIFE will end up in a trailer court simply because you had your head up your ass. If that is retirement, then there was exactly no point in being born at all. If you think rent is bad now, wait a few years.

Enjoy the view.

12.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'm confident he can pay cash, and refinance it in a few months.

That's the worst case

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
You are being obtuse. I simply outlined what is going to happen to you if you follow the course of action that you are on... based upon information you gave.

You said,

"But what I'm expecting is this all blows up and we just never own a home ever again. Rent rates are going to make retirement pretty difficult (I mentioned we're paying $1900/mo now, where the mortgage would be about $1200; so about $8k a year we need to come up with, indefinitely, not inflation adjusted). So yeah, whole thing is a pile of shit."

Should I be more succinct? You and your WIFE will end up in a trailer court simply because you had your head up your ass. If that is retirement, then there was exactly no point in being born at all. If you think rent is bad now, wait a few years.

Enjoy the view.

View attachment 371323

Trailer courts are for plebs with jobs.

Gravel is at retirement age, so he can drive an RV and live in a glorified trailer court ANYWHERE, man!

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm 37. We'll be fine.

I wanted a mortgage as a hedge against inflation, but it's not the end of the world if we don't get it.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I'm 37. We'll be fine.

I wanted a mortgage as a hedge against inflation, but it's not the end of the world if we don't get it.

Sounds like you already know the answer to shit man. Stop asking people questions trying to convince yourself you're wrong. You're not, do what's right for you.

You've survived EVERY catastrophe in your life up to this point. And i'm sure that every one of them felt like it was going to be the end of you at the time, but looking back, you kinda chuckle at them all. This is no different. You're gonna find a way to survive it, it's gonna be a little bumpy for awhile, and then you're gonna come out on the other side fine and wonder what the fuck you were worried about in the first place.

Dude, I spent so long with my batshit crazy hoarder wife who spent all the fucking money that I *STILL*, 3 years later, wake up sometimes in a cold sweat wondering how the fuck I'm gonna pay the mortgage this month.

And then I look at the bank and see 5 digits in my checking account and try to go back to bed.

• 1Solidarity

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like you already know the answer to shit man. Stop asking people questions trying to convince yourself you're wrong. You're not, do what's right for you.

You've survived EVERY catastrophe in your life up to this point. And i'm sure that every one of them felt like it was going to be the end of you at the time, but looking back, you kinda chuckle at them all. This is no different. You're gonna find a way to survive it, it's gonna be a little bumpy for awhile, and then you're gonna come out on the other side fine and wonder what the fuck you were worried about in the first place.

Dude, I spent so long with my batshit crazy hoarder wife who spent all the fucking money that I *STILL*, 3 years later, wake up sometimes in a cold sweat wondering how the fuck I'm gonna pay the mortgage this month.

And then I look at the bank and see 5 digits in my checking account and try to go back to bed.
Amen to this. Gravel from reading his posts has something similar to your experience with you wife same for me recently.

It's not so much the current event but the bullshit residual stress from having just survived a harrowing event.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didn't ask any questions. My original post was just venting about the situation. It's probably my fault for mentioning the vaccine since it's such a sensitive topic for people. He offered advice about how not getting the vaccine was going to ruin my life, as if he has any fucking idea about my financial situation.

• 1Worf

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I didn't ask any questions. My original post was just venting about the situation. It's probably my fault for mentioning the vaccine since it's such a sensitive topic for people. He offered advice about how not getting the vaccine was going to ruin my life, as if he has any fucking idea about my financial situation.

It's not gonna ruin your life regardless. You can make 100k a year with a fucking HS diploma. I know many guys that do.

I mean, you gotta actually WORK for it, but the jobs are out there. It's just gonna be a departure from most of the keyboard warrioring most people around here do.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Within the next 5 years, I am heavily committed to buying a cabin/land kind of thing in rural Oregon. I am already planning for it now and scouting out stuff. We'll see how it goes.

• 2Like