Home buying thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I grew up there. Suck a dick.
i mean i'm born and bred nyc, after being away for more than half my life, i don't plan on moving back, even my old family home was sold, theres nothing there for me except visiting family and reconnecting with old friends who have also mostly been scattered to the winds too

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I spent ages 2-18 in Maryland (born in Florida), and I fucking hate the place. Military took me to Georgia and then Tennessee/Kentucky, and after that, every time I went back to Maryland I felt like the people were assholes, the traffic was shit, and there wasn't anything there for me anymore.

The country is a big place. No reason to get stuck in one place if you don't like it. Only reason is family, but as long as you're a few hours away (and in my opinion a day or two drive) you're close enough.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I actually like Oregon lol. Portland just sucks but I won't be anywhere near that shit hole.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I actually like Oregon lol. Portland just sucks but I won't be anywhere near that shit hole.
The challenge you face tho is the same as me here on Long Island. While the local area is generally sane and somewhat red leaning, all the laws and mandates come from Albany which is a blue shithole. So while rural Oregon might be nice, it still lives under the dictates of the Blue masters who make the state laws.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Same here when I was in California. I loved it there (lived at the base of the Sierra Nevada's, amazing hiking). It was solidly red (Kevin McCarthy is the Rep). But, well, LA and SF basically dwarf the rest of the state population wise.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

elonm00sk

Molten Core Raider
I didn't ask any questions. My original post was just venting about the situation. It's probably my fault for mentioning the vaccine since it's such a sensitive topic for people. He offered advice about how not getting the vaccine was going to ruin my life, as if he has any fucking idea about my financial situation.
As a possible third option, just doctor one of those super easy to fake vaccine cards. They're available if you're looking for them. Some blue haired chick will file it away on a LAN drive somewhere and it will never come up again. If you get caught, you're in the exact position you're in right now.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm good. My exemption got approved last week. Locked in our rate last week as well (2.5%). Which is crazy to me because we had a 3.5% rate on our last house that we had to buy points to get to. But also is the reason I wanted to buy sooner since I was worried rates eventually have to go up.

Need to figure out insurance today or tomorrow (State Farm is who we had on our old house, and still our vehicles, but their quote was horrendous for home insurance), and also get a refrigerator on order. Despite being a month out, I'm worried that the chip shortage will fuck us if we wait too long to order one.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
As a possible third option, just doctor one of those super easy to fake vaccine cards. They're available if you're looking for them. Some blue haired chick will file it away on a LAN drive somewhere and it will never come up again. If you get caught, you're in the exact position you're in right now.

Doing this, while employed by the govt is high risk, and only delays as you will be required to booster.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'm good. My exemption got approved last week. Locked in our rate last week as well (2.5%). Which is crazy to me because we had a 3.5% rate on our last house that we had to buy points to get to. But also is the reason I wanted to buy sooner since I was worried rates eventually have to go up.

Need to figure out insurance today or tomorrow (State Farm is who we had on our old house, and still our vehicles, but their quote was horrendous for home insurance), and also get a refrigerator on order. Despite being a month out, I'm worried that the chip shortage will fuck us if we wait too long to order one.

I know someone that's been waiting over a year for a frig.

It's some dumbass special high end shit, but still

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Florida? Home owner's insurance? Buckle up and bring lube. The party is about to begin.

• 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's honestly not that bad. Most of the quotes we got from our agent and lender were between $1100-1400 a year. State Farm was like $1800.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's honestly not that bad. Most of the quotes we got from our agent and lender were between $1100-1400 a year. State Farm was like $1800.
yea that happened my first house i wanted state farm for house since i had it for cars also but their quote was stupid, and i was working with relo and they found me a better deal w/ travelers, this time moving, i asked travellers how much it'd be for this house at 500k and they said 2k, while state farm was doing 1400 (and relo and mortage companys were doing 1500-1700)

so now state farm does it all for us

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
what would a 500k florida house insurance be about in a popular county?
Proximity to ocean is a big factor as is what hurricane rated materials you have installed (windows, doors, roof etc). I left in 2017. I was paying 4k a year in Ft Lauderdale with storm glass all around. House was valued at 300k when I sold it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Proximity to ocean is a big factor as is what hurricane rated materials you have installed (windows, doors, roof etc). I left in 2017. I was paying 4k a year in Ft Lauderdale with storm glass all around. House was valued at 300k when I sold it.
how much more is 1 storm window vs a regular window?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
how much more is 1 storm window vs a regular window?
I did my entire house for about 17k installed. They aren't cheap but for a long term investment that are worth it. Also add security since joe criminal cant take a hammer and break a window to rob you.

• 1Like