Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
what would a 500k florida house insurance be about in a popular county?
Dunno. Our house is about $300k, new construction. We're in the panhandle which is worse than the Tampa area for hurricanes (which is what I thought you mentioned looking at).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm on the east coast of Florida and with a new concrete house with metal roof I'm paying 800 a year on a 200k house.

ransomvik

Trakanon Raider
Find a decent insurance broker for homeowners and term life. Avoid insurance companies that spend decamillions on ad campaigns and stadium naming rights. This can save hundreds a year.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also depends how close to the coast you are in FL. Visited a good friend of mine a couple weeks back who lives a couple blocks from the ocean on Indian Harbor (Melbourne, FL). I was curious and asked about home insurance and he said flat out the only insurance is from the state. No companies would insure otherwise.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Also depends how close to the coast you are in FL. Visited a good friend of mine a couple weeks back who lives a couple blocks from the ocean on Indian Harbor (Melbourne, FL). I was curious and asked about home insurance and he said flat out the only insurance is from the state. No companies would insure otherwise.

My family has a house touching sand in Melbourne, but I’d have to ask about insurance.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
It's honestly not that bad. Most of the quotes we got from our agent and lender were between $1100-1400 a year. State Farm was like $1800.
I thought I was getting ripped off for a sec. I’m paying $2100 but I’ve got 675k in coverage to build back in the event of a disaster. (Tornado here, hurricane there I guess)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Found this super interesting about the housing market. It doesn't really provide any conclusions, but it's a good eye opener (at least for me) about how housing has gotten out of control.

Now, it's highly localized to California (and really, San Francisco), but those tech workers are also moving all over the country.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Found this super interesting about the housing market. It doesn't really provide any conclusions, but it's a good eye opener (at least for me) about how housing has gotten out of control.

Now, it's highly localized to California (and really, San Francisco), but those tech workers are also moving all over the country.

They are flowing out of California, and the flow isn't going to stop any time soon. It is weird to drive down the road and see steady streams of expensive cars all over the place.

I'm moving to a state that isn't quite on anyone's radar (yet), and I had two houses bought out from under me while I was on the phone with the agent. Cash offers over ask...not hugely over, but they will start going in that direction soon. Houses selling the day they are posted is common. My agent says the market has never been so busy. The house I bought only cost me $20k over list and they had a line of people wanting it. Cash is king!

• 1Like

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Well, you are clearly at a departure point right now where one wrong decision can fuck up the rest of your life.

I think you have to pause and very carefully evaluate your stance on getting vaccinated vs the financial impact of not getting a jab. In your case, you can get fucked pretty hard if you don't. What WILL happen to you if you don't get the jab is your company will fire you. What WILL happen next is your loan will vanish in a second. And then from there? All those 10's of thousands in moving costs will be GONE and you'll be stuck renting a shitbox and can't move because you are unemployed and no one will hire you....and pickings get **mighty** fucking slim at your age.

I'm not picking on you in particular, just outlining the way things go...the way things ALWAYS go.

I'm not willing to go into VERSUS mode on you about vaccines and things. The least dangerous is the J&J vaccine. If I was in your situation, I'd get that J&J jab and be done with the thing AND have my job and a house to stay in AND just be done with the drama at least for a few years.

In three months, you won't remember the hand-wringing. You'll be in your new house and your wife will be happy reading in her nook or whatever. Or, you can skip the poke and be fucked.
If you don't have your health you don't have anything.

The vaccine kills people every day. Losing a mortgage won't kill you, it will suck and may change your life, but you will still have it, the life that is.

The government fucked up hard on this one. Mandating a substance that is shown to provide almost no benefit and can destroy your health for the rest of your life if not kill you is breaking people.

The S1 proteins the vaccine floods your system with are only dangerous, put you at greater risk from complications and death if you do catch covid and will absolutely kill you if you get enough of them in your body.

The boosters will kill people at higher rates than the first round vaccines of those go through.

Resist this evil bullshit. As the tide of anger washes over the monsters that got us here, those who made the right choices and didn't compromise their values will be thankful they did not risk permanent injury and death for temporary convenience.

• 6Moron
  • 4Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
They are flowing out of California, and the flow isn't going to stop any time soon. It is weird to drive down the road and see steady streams of expensive cars all over the place.

I'm moving to a state that isn't quite on anyone's radar (yet), and I had two houses bought out from under me while I was on the phone with the agent. Cash offers over ask...not hugely over, but they will start going in that direction soon. Houses selling the day they are posted is common. My agent says the market has never been so busy. The house I bought only cost me $20k over list and they had a line of people wanting it. Cash is king!
Just closed on my property last week. We snuck in under asking on this one, but only because we got outbid on first offer and it fell through, seller was desperate and we were able to go under contract same day. Spent the last ~6 months looking and got outbid multiple times. Same story, cash offers same day, sight unseen. The market is completely insane, although it seems to be slowing for the year according to our agent. Also hearing that most purchases are from California according to our inspector. This is in a fairly rural part of a flyover state.

Its just anecdotes, but seems to be the same everywhere.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just closed on my property last week. We snuck in under asking on this one, but only because we got outbid on first offer and it fell through, seller was desperate and we were able to go under contract same day. Spent the last ~6 months looking and got outbid multiple times. Same story, cash offers same day, sight unseen. The market is completely insane, although it seems to be slowing for the year according to our agent. Also hearing that most purchases are from California according to our inspector. This is in a fairly rural part of a flyover state.

Only went back a few pages, but what state are you buying in?

Shit still seems insane here in Florida. I've been on Zillow since June just watching the market and thought it had been slowing down. Nope, what actually was happening was my maximum dollar price I had been using was too low (and I didn't want to see the super expensive mansions and shit). Turns out that everything is still going up in price and I just wasn't seeing it anymore. We've got 1-1.5k sqft places selling for $300-350k now. It's not city prices yet, but it's pretty insane.

We're getting everything lined up. We do our inspection in 2 weeks on the 7th, final walkthrough the next week on the 12th, and close a week after that on the 19th. They've been locking the place up lately, so we haven't been inside in a while, but it looks like plumbing/fixtures are now done, and they also got all the flooring in. Only thing left is appliances and grading the property and sodding it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Sales will slow and prices will stabilize with the school year. Families are very resistant to moving when school is in session. So its par the course for the moment I guess.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Only went back a few pages, but what state are you buying in?

We're getting everything lined up. We do our inspection in 2 weeks on the 7th, final walkthrough the next week on the 12th, and close a week after that on the 19th. They've been locking the place up lately, so we haven't been inside in a while, but it looks like plumbing/fixtures are now done, and they also got all the flooring in. Only thing left is appliances and grading the property and sodding it.
Missouri. Good luck on the close man, I know you were sweating keeping your job long enough. Hope it works out!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Missouri is horrible, nobody move here.

Literally the worst

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Any idea when the foreclosure and rent moratoriums will start funneling through? My wife and I have been looking all over the place for something rent or buy and it's all insane.

I've even considered paying $4500 rent in Charelston, SC for a year just to bite the bullet and wait out the market. IDK if I could ever do it bc of the opportunity cost, but we've atleast discussed it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If we look back to the 2008 market, while it was a buyers market for 5 or so years, the banks sat on foreclosures for a long time to not fuck with their books. When they did sell off properties you had to pay backtaxes on it to close the sale... That's how I remember it anyway.

So mileage may vary I guess.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

have fun in normal ville

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Any idea when the foreclosure and rent moratoriums will start funneling through? My wife and I have been looking all over the place for something rent or buy and it's all insane.

I've even considered paying $4500 rent in Charelston, SC for a year just to bite the bullet and wait out the market. IDK if I could ever do it bc of the opportunity cost, but we've atleast discussed it.
at 4500$ a month, you could get a $100 a night hilton