Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fucker

Log Wizard
Market here is still nuts. Not so much price, but homes vanishing the moment they hit MLS. I'm not wildly in love with the house I bought, but it has lots of potential. It is the nicest unit to hit in weeks.

Also, things not to buy while drunk: a house.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Market here is still nuts. Not so much price, but homes vanishing the moment they hit MLS. I'm not wildly in love with the house I bought, but it has lots of potential. It is the nicest unit to hit in weeks.

Also, things not to buy while drunk: a house.

Your house came with a buy now button or you showed up midday to sign the dotted line whilst hammered?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Big Phoenix Big Phoenix I saw this in the other thread buuut.

Last night I got a text from an unknown number in Waco. They knew my full name and my address and said this:

"Hi TJT you still live at [Your actual real home address] and own it right? Are you looking to sell?"

I mean... I guess I should have expected this sooner but it is pretty creepy AF. I asked who they were and got no reply.

• 1Worf

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its all public record, if you have an address or name you can look it up on blockshopper.com or some similar website and find the sales history/current owner pretty easily.

But yeah.. that's creepy as fuck.

• 1Solidarity

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I get one of those like once every 2 months, I just ignore them and they never ask again.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I get one of those like once every 2 months, I just ignore them and they never ask again.
I invite them over to see my house and the special "play room" I built in my basement. They never call back.

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Not surprising to me. When they have material these house go up in four months. They’re prefabricated and slapped together by people who don’t live in this country. They get paid by how many units they can slap together in the time they’re here working. My new house has all kinds of fucked up angles everywhere, nothing is square or level. Neighbors all had varying degrees of ridiculous shit that had to be reworked.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That was pretty much my worry with buying a new house (or really, any house), and why I wanted to build it myself. It'd take way longer, but at least I'd know things weren't lazily put together.

So far we've been going to the house and things look on the up and up. Our inspection is in a week and a half, so we'll see!

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Not surprising to me. When they have material these house go up in four months. They’re prefabricated and slapped together by people who don’t live in this country. They get paid by how many units they can slap together in the time they’re here working. My new house has all kinds of fucked up angles everywhere, nothing is square or level. Neighbors all had varying degrees of ridiculous shit that had to be reworked.
I'm going to miss the house I just sold. It was built by a GC. 2x6 construction to start, and not a single inch wrong in the entire place. Not a single squeak or groan in the place. The only thing I replaced in 10 years was a water heater. When I sold it, the only thing that needed to be replaced was a capacitor in one of the AC units, and the external water spouts because I never used them. I'm not going to see that again until I build.

I rented a house that was built during the housing boom. Bank offered a deal at $445k and I laughed at them. It needed at least $100k in rework. New windows, new doors, reinsulate all the walls, tear out downstairs bath, install decent HVAC. New deck and stairs. This house was only a few years old, too.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
My house is roughly 100 years old.

My biggest complaint is to change anything I'm removing plaster or wood that's a century old.

Even the windows are old as fuck. They are all wavy etc when you look through them.

Rich people pay extra for new glass to look like that. Lolol

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My house is roughly 100 years old.

My biggest complaint is to change anything I'm removing plaster or wood that's a century old.

Even the windows are old as fuck. They are all wavy etc when you look through them.

Rich people pay extra for new glass to look like that. Lolol
My house celebrates it's 100th birthday in 2023.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Have some (potentially stupid) questions RE: early mortgage payments and the amortization schedule. We're considering cashing out our 401k's in the next year or two due to some concerns I have about the safety of that tax vehicle (we'll see if clown world politics continue or not). If I did decide to do that the question would be how to deploy that cash.

I do think that we're going to look to pay off our mortgage as early as possible despite the obvious downsides, but I'm unclear on what if any benefits exist to making large payments early on the mortgage that may not pay off the entire balance. Is there any benefit to say, paying off 50% early in regards to interest payments and the amortization schedule? As I recall from reading about this before its generally recommended to just hold the cash until you can fully pay the mortgage but curious if there are any benefits or alternative strategies in that area.