Home buying thread

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bout to put an offer on a place before it hits the market. Obviously taking a risk but it ticks a lot of boxes for us. Anyone ever do this? I know I’m most likely leaving money on the table but this is an area where some faggot from China or the Middle East can swoop in with fuck you cash any moment because they have to park their blood money somewhere
I did it once. I heard about from a friend. Guy was doing a flip and was about 2 weeks from listing it. I saw it while he was working on it and offered him asking. He asked if I could close and opened my bank app on my phone and showed him my bank account while standing in the living room. He accepted. We made about 50% when we sold it 6 years later.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Bout to put an offer on a place before it hits the market. Obviously taking a risk but it ticks a lot of boxes for us. Anyone ever do this? I know I’m most likely leaving money on the table but this is an area where some faggot from China or the Middle East can swoop in with fuck you cash any moment because they have to park their blood money somewhere
Just depends how much you like this house vs getting a great deal. It's usually one or the other, you fall in love with a particular house you will end up overpaying - but that might be worth it to you, who really wants that particular house. On the other hand if you shop and compromise on location/features, you can probably find a stupendous deal. Really just depends on what you value more out of that particular deal, best deal possible or exact house you want?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Just depends how much you like this house vs getting a great deal. It's usually one or the other, you fall in love with a particular house you will end up overpaying - but that might be worth it to you, who really wants that particular house. On the other hand if you shop and compromise on location/features, you can probably find a stupendous deal. Really just depends on what you value more out of that particular deal, best deal possible or exact house you want?

Exactly. "Market value" is a real thing, but you and your preferences are not the average market. The price you pay vs market value is not the only axis for evaluating whether a deal is good for you as an individual.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
I almost put a bid in on a house last night because it was backed up to an orange tree field. Decided it probably wasn't smart, so I just went to bed, then got up and hit the store for some oranges instead.

Not sure if I have scurvy or was just craving citrus.

• 1Worf

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I almost put a bid in on a house last night because it was backed up to an orange tree field. Decided it probably wasn't smart, so I just went to bed, then got up and hit the store for some oranges instead.

Not sure if I have scurvy or was just craving citrus.
At one time backing up to an orchard or nursery would be great. Nowadays just as many get sold and turned into 5 over 1s or a development. Ugh.

• 1Truth!

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
At one time backing up to an orchard or nursery would be great. Nowadays just as many get sold and turned into 5 over 1s or a development. Ugh.
I would worry about whatever chemicals the orchard was using on the trees. It would smell amazing when all the blossoms come out though. We have a small pomelo tree in our backyard, I'll walk out there in the spring just to smell the tree.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I would worry about whatever chemicals the orchard was using on the trees. It would smell amazing when all the blossoms come out though. We have a small pomelo tree in our backyard, I'll walk out there in the spring just to smell the tree.
I grew up on glyphosate and micro plastics, and look how I turned out.

• 1Worf

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Worth it, possibly, if Im making close to a quarter mil a year... maybe? If I was managing it, with high expectations from a landlord - you'd have to make somewhere around 130k a year to stay there as a single person.

I lived in a dorm like that in the Army and again in College. Bathroom, Kitchen, and Clothes all done in community spots within the building. But as a grown man? I better be making enough that I can squirrel back enough to move the fuck away in a year or two and live like a king in some BFE town. So again, I'd need like a quarter mil or at the very minimum 200k/year. Else you're just wasting your time for "experience" and bragging rights that only a small group of people are going to give a fuck about.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Worth it, possibly, if Im making close to a quarter mil a year... maybe? If I was managing it, with high expectations from a landlord - you'd have to make somewhere around 130k a year to stay there as a single person.

I lived in a dorm like that in the Army and again in College. Bathroom, Kitchen, and Clothes all done in community spots within the building. But as a grown man? I better be making enough that I can squirrel back enough to move the fuck away in a year or two and live like a king in some BFE town. So again, I'd need like a quarter mil or at the very minimum 200k/year. Else you're just wasting your time for "experience" and bragging rights that only a small group of people are going to give a fuck about.

You forgot the most important reason, "culture". Because living a decent life pales in comparison to being able to get an ethnically authentic taco at the food stand on the corner.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You forgot the most important reason, "culture". Because living a decent life pales in comparison to being able to get an ethnically authentic taco at the food stand on the corner.
those micro apts have no bathroom, when the whole floor is eating salmonella joses burrito van and then you all have to share a communal toilet.

at some point you reall compromise.

like my nephew in nyc has a 300sq/ft condo

yea pretty much this
39769e5edd169e21053b23dc89fb669c.png

the value has gone up 50% cuz he got it pre covid, he doesn't even live here, he was able to luck out on a nyc apt lottery and has a 500sq/ft central park apt he rents for 1200/m, he's single so yea.

Daidraco

those micro apts have no bathroom, when the whole floor is eating salmonella joses burrito van and then you all have to share a communal toilet.

at some point you reall compromise.

like my nephew in nyc has a 300sq/ft condo

yea pretty much this
39769e5edd169e21053b23dc89fb669c.png

the value has gone up 50% cuz he got it pre covid, he doesn't even live here, he was able to luck out on a nyc apt lottery and has a 500sq/ft central park apt he rents for 1200/m, he's single so yea.
I mean honestly.. if it had a clothes washer/dryer in that unit, I would be chill as fuck living there as a single guy. But after living with a chick for the last 6 years, aint no way in fucking hell I'd sign up for it if I had a significant other again, though. Thats straight bachelor pad only.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I mean honestly.. if it had a clothes washer/dryer in that unit, I would be chill as fuck living there as a single guy. But after living with a chick for the last 6 years, aint no way in fucking hell I'd sign up for it if I had a significant other again, though. Thats straight bachelor pad only.
you have to get an ultra apt in nyc to have in unit w/d, and no joke the one my nephew is renting for 1200/m the other apts are being rented for 5k and theyre still doing basement communal w/d's in the complex... i mean which is still better than schleping your clothes to a scary ass laundromat.

• 1Like

Daidraco

you get your own toilet in solitary tho
Definitely a place that would actively encourage you to not eat at Taco Bell, or eat gas station sushi and similar. You just end up shitting your pants cause the one time you're in an "emergency" the stalls are full.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Very odd, the place I’m in contract on is a duplex of which we are buying one unit, we love the building so much we want to also get the other, smaller unit too but it’s currently being occupied by the builders kid but sounds like they won’t be there long. So one of the stipulations we put in the contract was ‘right of first refusal’ on the other unit when they sell it; of the various things in the offer, this was the only thing they rejected. Doesn’t make any sense to me as it seems like it would be convenient for them to have a buyer lined up? Not sure why they rejected that

Daidraco

Very odd, the place I’m in contract on is a duplex of which we are buying one unit, we love the building so much we want to also get the other, smaller unit too but it’s currently being occupied by the builders kid but sounds like they won’t be there long. So one of the stipulations we put in the contract was ‘right of first refusal’ on the other unit when they sell it; of the various things in the offer, this was the only thing they rejected. Doesn’t make any sense to me as it seems like it would be convenient for them to have a buyer lined up? Not sure why they rejected that
Could just try to offer him a purchase price that the boy can stay there for a maximum of 2 years without incurring rent or property taxes. I know that may not be ideal, but that would secure the property "now." The two years is something I pulled out of my ass, make it whatever you want. But thats the gist of it.

My brother and I bought a 570 acre farm with a horse training facility, dairy cow buildings, jumping horse arena, and three mediocre houses as an investment project almost two years ago. My brothers been in real estate for over a decade and just needed capital/securities to make such a big purchase. I trusted that he knew what he was doing and didnt question anything, but I saw that the old man that he was buying the place from not only gets to stay in his house for the next 10 years rent/tax free, but his life insurance is covered in that same contract. A contract which carries over if we sell it ourselves. My brother sectioned off the land that the old man was on, and has the rest of the place rented out. The value of the land has went up tremendously since its purchase, which Im sure the old farmer is bitching about - but whenever my brother does sell it, we'll both have a nice little pay day.

I only tell you that story just so you know its not unheard of.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users