Home buying thread

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would be so fucking conflicted with what to do. Like.. great, cool, never lived in, perfect condition. But everything is so... "basic" by today's standards. It would be fine if it was a rental in a lower end neighborhood, sure. But would the house bring that much more by just modernizing the kitchen and bathrooms, and ripping out and replacing that hideous gas fire place and fluffy ass carpet? My gut feeling is yes, obviously. But since its all still "new" "never used" ... would it be that big of a difference?... Those appliances will probably work for another 20 years, while brand new shit is going to have an estimated life of 8 years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I would be so fucking conflicted with what to do. Like.. great, cool, never lived in, perfect condition. But everything is so... "basic" by today's standards. It would be fine if it was a rental in a lower end neighborhood, sure. But would the house bring that much more by just modernizing the kitchen and bathrooms, and ripping out and replacing that hideous gas fire place and fluffy ass carpet? My gut feeling is yes, obviously. But since its all still "new" "never used" ... would it be that big of a difference?... Those appliances will probably work for another 20 years, while brand new shit is going to have an estimated life of 8 years.
dude bought a gated community home for travel, when he did go to the home, stayed in hotel b/c... no furniture

house was sold

pocket doors, lulz

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I would paint the walls and paint the cabinets and replace the hardware on the cabinets and call it a day. Other than that no way you get the money out of a big reno.

The beige and all that red oak is the biggest offender in making that place look ancient.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't see why anyone would pay a premium for it. He says it's "not that long ago" but it's 26 fucking years. For sure the roof needs replaced if it hasn't been already. Just because it hasn't been lived in doesn't mean it hasn't aged at all.

Hell, it may actually be even worse since shit might be dry rotted out like the plumbing.

Not only that, but the energy efficiency between now and 1998 is massive. So "new" old windows are still probably shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I don't see why anyone would pay a premium for it. He says it's "not that long ago" but it's 26 fucking years. For sure the roof needs replaced if it hasn't been already. Just because it hasn't been lived in doesn't mean it hasn't aged at all.

Hell, it may actually be even worse since shit might be dry rotted out like the plumbing.

Not only that, but the energy efficiency between now and 1998 is massive. So "new" old windows are still probably shit.
This is true, windows, roofs, siding all age due to elements and habitation isn't really a factor. If the space wasn't conditioned that could be a big negative too.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This is true, windows, roofs, siding all age due to elements and habitation isn't really a factor. If the space wasn't conditioned that could be a big negative too.

And the furnace. It had to run to keep it above freezing. Not as much as if people were living there, but 26 year old furnace, water heater, sump pump, fridge, stove, all of it is out of date.

• 1EyeRoll

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
And the furnace. It had to run to keep it above freezing. Not as much as if people were living there, but 26 year old furnace, water heater, sump pump, fridge, stove, all of it is out of date.
you know how many lg/samsung fridge owners would want that 26 year old fridge now?

• 1Worf

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
To be fair, that isn’t a blanket statement for all appliances. AC units and what not sure.

My oven is from 1960. Works great. GE original. It’ll probably last longer than any GE made these days.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
those "dumb" w/d are pretty awesome too

and never been used, no mold smell
e0d7916ad61106bcc29f87ba7dc80552.png

• 2WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
LG Mining fucking bitcoin on his laundry machine. :trump:
You joke but I would bet this WILL be done if it isn't already. Don't use appliances with IP addresses people.

Tagentally related I would suggest everyone look into how Bitcoin miners can be used to heat water for water heaters and/or radiator systems. Heat creation from ASICs is equal (power in to heat out) to any other method to generate heat with the side effect of mining BTC. Old miners can be quite efficiently turned into self-subsidizing heaters. If this seems stupid I would encourage you to investigate how heat is created when running it through a circuit board/processor.

This guy goes over it on his Twitter:

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
LG Mining fucking bitcoin on his laundry machine. :trump:

If you image search that chart the backstory appears to be that his router had a reporting error on the bandwidth. Not that exciting.

That said, I can't think of a compelling reason why I would ever let my washer connect to the internet.

• 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You joke but I would bet this WILL be done if it isn't already. Don't use appliances with IP addresses people.

Tagentally related I would suggest everyone look into how Bitcoin miners can be used to heat water for water heaters and/or radiator systems. Heat creation from ASICs is equal (power in to heat out) to any other method to generate heat with the side effect of mining BTC. Old miners can be quite efficiently turned into self-subsidizing heaters. If this seems stupid I would encourage you to investigate how heat is created when running it through a circuit board/processor.

Pretty sure I've read about giant ddos botnets being built from many thousands of corporate printers and other hardware with security vulnerabilities.

I've thought about the heating thing before, but I assumed that while it would work, it would also be less efficient than a purpose-built heater, although I've never checked to see how true that is. My computers substantially cut down the need for heating, and I'm not even mining or anything crazy. I never assumed that it was in any way cost effective though.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I assumed that while it would work, it would also be less efficient than a purpose-built heater, although I've never checked to see how true that is.

Resistance heating is 100% efficient. You're still using electricity instead of gas so there's an economic penalty out the gate per BTU delivered (unless you've got solar), but efficiency isn't an issue.

• 1Solidarity

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Resistance heating is 100% efficient. You're still using electricity instead of gas so there's an economic penalty out the gate per BTU delivered (unless you've got solar), but efficiency isn't an issue.
Aren't you still bound by needing to go through a PSU though? Or are they generating heat equivalent to their inefficiency? Hmm, maybe I do need to buy some mining rigs after all lol.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Well sir. Now that you've shown me this path, I shall endeavor not to be a piece of shit property manager when it comes time to replace someones water heater and similar.

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users