Home buying thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Resistance heating is 100% efficient. You're still using electricity instead of gas so there's an economic penalty out the gate per BTU delivered (unless you've got solar), but efficiency isn't an issue.

"100%" here can be misleading; if the electricity is generated by natural gas, you're getting less than half the heat that you would by burning that gas locally (a furnace.) Can also get way more heat with the same amount of electricity using a heat pump.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
"100%" here can be misleading; if the electricity is generated by natural gas, you're getting less than half the heat that you would by burning that gas locally (a furnace.) Can also get way more heat with the same amount of electricity using a heat pump.

I think it's an accurate characterization given that the question was framed around energy starting at the back of the PSU. Are we going to say a resistance heater consuming solar power is 30% efficient because of the originating PV cells? It's also a fair number relative to heat pumps, which are 300-400% efficient compared to their inputs.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
ya the inefficiency is just in a different stage in resistance heating. You lose out because the conversion to electricity from gas happened at a plant and part of that heat went up the smokestack.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
soon everyone will be van lifing

also, what did she expect leaving a car on the st for 4weeks?

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yes soon everything will be "Dude wheres my car", Australia. Very real, very OMG.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
soon everyone will be van lifing

also, what did she expect leaving a car on the st for 4weeks?
The camera disguises it a bit, but you can tell she has fucked up teeth. She probably smells like BO on the regular. AND God forbid you give that bitch the time of day, because the fish smell would make you gag as soon as she starts snail trailing. To think, "back in the day" bitches in general were just as nasty as this fucking hoe.

Goatface

saw this on reddit, realtor clean up the listing a bit

1.jpg

2.jpg

pretty sure could spool up some copper wire in the tree and never have to pay an electric bill

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Tenant I have in my old house called me today.

Complained that the power bill is high and I should do something about it. That they never have the AC on at all ever and the power bill still increases.

Uhhhh?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
saw this on reddit, realtor clean up the listing a bit

View attachment 515731

View attachment 515732

pretty sure could spool up some copper wire in the tree and never have to pay an electric bill
Will the wonders of AI ever cease!?

Complained that the power bill is high and I should do something about it. That they never have the AC on at all ever and the power bill still increases.

Uhhhh?
They're right. You should do something. You should evict them at the first possible chance.

• 1Worf

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Uhhhh?
In the low income houses I manage, Im constantly dealing with "Interfaith Outreach Association" and similar. They end up paying a portion of the rent, if it will finish their monthly bill. They'll also do a power bill, or a utility bill, etc. I would first offer them the information for those types of services. Those social programs will often teach them, or have classes, that will try to get them back on track financially, and have tips and tricks on how to lower their utility bills.

Second - you can suggest that they have someone come out and look at the meter and service it. Some places like AEP will even do a home inspection on things they can do to lower their power bill, like using LED bulbs, using temperature blocking blankets for doors and windows. Setting up "smart" timers to turn off all the vampire electronic devices. etc.

If they want to be persistent, however, or refuse to do any of the suggestions - reaffirm with them that the property is up to code and well insulated. Tell them they are allowed to get out of the contract, and discuss the breach in contract terms with them.

Ive got a little singlewide trailer that I rent out to some black folks out in the country. They complained about their bill and I made all the suggestions to them and reiterated that the ball was in their court with the contract terms. Three years later, and theyre still there and I barely hear from them except when a repair is needed. They pay about 240/month, which is high for the size of place it is. But its a trailer from the 90's that got a fresh coat on the roof, and new insulation for the under carriage of the place when I first bought it. Could be worse.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Uhhhh?

When I was renting I had a sudden massive spike in my electric bill to the tune of $1300. After complaining to the landlord a couple times and insisting there was no other explanation, he sent an electrician. Turns out the landlord had installed a bootleg outlet by his pool and the conduit had corroded leaving an active short to ground pulling a steady 1100W that was supposed to be just the lights in the master closet. Oops.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
In the low income houses I manage, Im constantly dealing with "Interfaith Outreach Association" and similar. They end up paying a portion of the rent, if it will finish their monthly bill. They'll also do a power bill, or a utility bill, etc. I would first offer them the information for those types of services. Those social programs will often teach them, or have classes, that will try to get them back on track financially, and have tips and tricks on how to lower their utility bills.

Second - you can suggest that they have someone come out and look at the meter and service it. Some places like AEP will even do a home inspection on things they can do to lower their power bill, like using LED bulbs, using temperature blocking blankets for doors and windows. Setting up "smart" timers to turn off all the vampire electronic devices. etc.

If they want to be persistent, however, or refuse to do any of the suggestions - reaffirm with them that the property is up to code and well insulated. Tell them they are allowed to get out of the contract, and discuss the breach in contract terms with them.

Ive got a little singlewide trailer that I rent out to some black folks out in the country. They complained about their bill and I made all the suggestions to them and reiterated that the ball was in their court with the contract terms. Three years later, and theyre still there and I barely hear from them except when a repair is needed. They pay about 240/month, which is high for the size of place it is. But its a trailer from the 90's that got a fresh coat on the roof, and new insulation for the under carriage of the place when I first bought it. Could be worse.
I asked them what they've been paying then looked up my old bills when I lived there.

They are paying pretty much exactly what I did.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When I was renting I had a sudden massive spike in my electric bill to the tune of $1300. After complaining to the landlord a couple times and insisting there was no other explanation, he sent an electrician. Turns out the landlord had installed a bootleg outlet by his pool and the conduit had corroded leaving an active short to ground pulling a steady 1100W that was supposed to be just the lights in the master closet. Oops.
i learned the hard way that my backyard outdoor porch is also connected to my 2nd floor gfci bathroom

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Uhhhh?

You tell them to send Joe Biden a letter?