Home buying thread

Quevy

<Gold Donor>
7,566
24,430
An ex coworker of mine had something this installed in his house. Radiant floor heating and cooling. I have radiant floor heating in my house in Japan. I would have some cooling too, but they don't have it here yet. I find the type of temperature control much more uniform and it doesn't aggravated my sinuses. It also prevents the drying out effect from central heating. We also have ACs, similar to what Cad Cad mentioned as that's the norm in Japan.

Radiant Floor Cooling: How It Works & Saves 30% Radiant Floor Cooling: How It Works & Saves 30%
 

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
17,344
17,933
That sounds pretty cool, on both counts. This is a good example where you really either need a strong architect that can plan for this stuff with you and/or a builder that is more up to date on alternative methods of doing things. It seems so obvious and if you're familiar with it, to you it would be, to us it was one of the 100,000 decisions and we are familiar with upstairs and downstairs central air.

My biggest fight about the manual j stuff was that the 1st HVAC subcontractor came back with 5T downstairs and 4T upstairs. 9T of fucking heating and cooling. I'm an idiot but an idiot with an electrical engineering degree and 20 years of experience in IT construction. The concepts of thermodynamics aren't greek to me. There is no way for me to believe that with 2x6 framing, upgraded insulation, R-60 attic, tight house, above average windows for SHGC and other variables, that my 1st floor requires 5T. I sat down and did my own calculations with web-based tools and ChatGPT because the concept just really isn't that difficult.

I can't imagine trying to argue with these people about doing the whole house with mini splits. They'd probably just tell me to buy the stuff myself and walk away. Ugh, it is still irritating to think about.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user