Home Improvement

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I want him to pee in the lawn wherever he wants.

but I also want to be able to do something about the specific area he pees 95% of the time, if possible, since it can and is ruining the grass in that area. If not, oh well, it's a pretty small area.

If I teach the dog to pee somewhere else the same thing is going to happen to that new area unless I keep retraining him every three months.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I would think that keeping the area he/she pisses on watered more would help to dilute the piss more so it would not hurt the grass as much.

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
Said I'd throw up some pictures of my slight kitchen redo. This was my great uncle's family's place from the 70s up until a year ago. The counter tops used to be bright orange from the pictures I've seen to contrast the terrible green. First batch of photos includes the kitchen before I bought the house and finally me scraping off the wallpaper. Cabinets and counter tops will obviously be replaced in the future.

Spoiler due to size...
rrr_img_22970.jpg
rrr_img_22971.jpg
rrr_img_22972.jpg
rrr_img_22973.jpg
rrr_img_22974.jpg

rrr_img_22970.jpg

rrr_img_22971.jpg

rrr_img_22972.jpg

rrr_img_22973.jpg

rrr_img_22974.jpg

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
Funny enough the gf and I's only intention was to replace the cabinet handles and figured what the hell, lets scrape off the terribad wallpaper and repaint. The random white door on the wall is the laundry shute in the house. Yes, the house is incredibly old. Also, you can see the transom window and the hardware was unfortunately painted over like everything else; restoring that is on my todo list.

spoilered again...
rrr_img_22975.jpg
rrr_img_22976.jpg
rrr_img_22977.jpg
rrr_img_22978.jpg
rrr_img_22979.jpg
rrr_img_22980.jpg

rrr_img_22975.jpg

rrr_img_22976.jpg

rrr_img_22977.jpg

rrr_img_22978.jpg

rrr_img_22979.jpg

rrr_img_22980.jpg

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
And the kicker. I replied earlier about refinishing the stairs. The entire house is carpeted outside of a few tiled spots. Underneath the carpet however is this amazing is what looks like amazingly well preserved hardwood. The carpet is nearly 50 years old from what I can gather. Today I started the stair project and was pleasantly surprised I may not have to refinish the wood immediately as I assumed. Needs a little cleaning obviously.

rrr_img_22981.jpg
rrr_img_22982.jpg

rrr_img_22981.jpg

rrr_img_22982.jpg

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I want him to pee in the lawn wherever he wants.

but I also want to be able to do something about the specific area he pees 95% of the time, if possible, since it can and is ruining the grass in that area. If not, oh well, it's a pretty small area.

If I teach the dog to pee somewhere else the same thing is going to happen to that new area unless I keep retraining him every three months.
The whole backyard is grass? Make a small box/area that's filled with pea gravel. Dogs don't need much space, and it's pretty easy to train them to go in one spot/on command. When he has to piss, take him to the spot you want, give him 5 minutes or so. If he doesn't go, bring him back inside/crate/wherever he won't piss. 20-30 min later try again. When he does piss, repeat whatever command you want them to associate with pissing or taking a dump. When they're done, treat it like the best thing ever. Repeat until it sticks.

I've used this method to teach my dog to drink on command, and go to different locations (bed, front door, inside, out, etc). Obviously, breed/intelligence level will factor on how long it takes, as well has how persistent you are.

Also, in before Tenks shows up to tell me how I'm wrong and abuse my dog
biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Uhh, WTF do you want your dog to piss rather than outside on the lawn?
Honestly, it's best if you can get them to piss on concrete. This is very hard with most breeders working to discourage it, you'll essentially have to completely retrain the dog, but if you can teach them to piss on the sidewalk, it's easy to hose off, doesn't kill the grass, and plus you don't have to "go for a walk" in order for the dog to do it's business.

I've got a bunch of loose landscaping rock surrounding my pool, dog pisses there. Fantastic. Doesn't form a pool, doesn't kill anything, and drains away immediately, lawn looks great. Well, as good as it can look with me not giving a fuck about how the lawn looks.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He pisses on my parents and my mother in law's deck all the time so that's a funny recommendation.

If its snowing out he'll pee on the sidewalk instead of going into the snow because he's a pussy.

I'll probably just try to hose down the area he regularly pees in once a day if I remember, otherwise I'll just deal with it.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I need the top ~4 rows of bricks on my chimney repaired + a chimney cap put on. Sellers wouldn't do this work even though we asked, but that's moot at this point. Any approximation on what this would cost me? I'm completely unfamiliar with masonry work and no one I know is familiar enough with it to suggest an estimate.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I need the top ~4 rows of bricks on my chimney repaired + a chimney cap put on. Sellers wouldn't do this work even though we asked, but that's moot at this point. Any approximation on what this would cost me? I'm completely unfamiliar with masonry work and no one I know is familiar enough with it to suggest an estimate.
Chimney cap is $20, and you can install it yourself. I'm no mason, but I honestly can't see that being that difficult to DIY.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I saw someone do some masonry on several do it yourself shows and it does not seem that difficult. That being said Im not sure I would be tackling bricking a whole wall or some shit, but a small job like a few rows of a chimney? fuck yeah. Go to youtube, watch some videos and have at it.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
As long as its not a steep roof maybe $300-$500 for a small masonry contractor. If you want to do it yourself and dont want to fuck around with actual masonry I'd suggest thishttp://chimneysaver.com/products/cro...crownseal.htmlfor the chimney crown. Its expensive but it lasts and you just trowel in on right out of the bucket.

As long as the top 4 rows just have some cracks that need filled you can use any type of masonry caulk from home depot.http://www.homedepot.com/p/Red-Devil...5#.UYvBEMqnnJs

Just noticed that you may be taking about a flue cap and not a masonry crown cap. If thats the case flues usually come in 3 sizes. 9"X9", 9"X13" and 13"X13" and are very easy to install yourself. Most caps just have 4 screws you need to tighten around the flue. If its a place your planning on living at for awhile do yourself a favor and spend $60 to $120 and get a stainless steel flue cap that will last forever. In my experience the painted steel ones don't last for shit but that may vary depending where you live.

Now if the top four rows have no mortar left or very little youll probably need to call a mason. I'm not a mason so take my advise with a grain of salt.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Absolutely. DIY shit is most often decided by scale and scope of the project. Putting in a fireplace? Hire someone. Redoing 4 rows of brick at the top of the chimney that doesn't even support any weight? Get a ladder.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone got some recommendations on lawnmowers? Got about 1.5 acres to mow, all relatively flat. I would rather not buy a rider, that's a little more than I'd like to pay right now.

Conversely, does anyone here pay for a lawn service? Curious what those cost compared to doing it yourself.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I figured the cap was easy work (and cheap) but wanted to know in case I got some package deal and they were going to charge me 200 bucks for it.

It's more than just mortar needing to be filled in; some of the bricks are flaking and one of them is almost entirely missing. The brick repair is, to me, beyond DIY, but I'll watch some videos and see what they entail. Thanks for the advice.

also yes, I was talking about a chimney flue cap.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Anyone got some recommendations on lawnmowers? Got about 1.5 acres to mow, all relatively flat. I would rather not buy a rider, that's a little more than I'd like to pay right now.

Conversely, does anyone here pay for a lawn service? Curious what those cost compared to doing it yourself.
Toro.

Lawn service? You mean the teenager down the block that you pay $20 to do it?