Home Improvement

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Came with the house so no idea on age, but I think it's newer. How hard is it to pop out the door and look underneath it?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Dunno, never tried it. My parents have one that's 12' long on their sunroom. It only sticks in one spot. I looked at it but they don't open it that far enough to really pursue it.

When you find the answer post it here
smile.png

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You need to disassemble the frame in order to get a slider out. It's a huge amount of work, and the issue is if you don't like what you find, you then have a disassembled door and have to wait for a new one. Lay a level on every surface of the frame, see if it's out of line or plumb. Honestly, I think that's going to be the thing. One possibility might be to take off all the trim and forcibly level/square it to see if that helps.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You need to disassemble the frame in order to get a slider out. It's a huge amount of work, and the issue is if you don't like what you find, you then have a disassembled door and have to wait for a new one. Lay a level on every surface of the frame, see if it's out of line or plumb. Honestly, I think that's going to be the thing. One possibility might be to take off all the trim and forcibly level/square it to see if that helps.
Ok so totally not worth it.

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
Ok so totally not worth it.
Usually the door glides on 2 wheels that are retractable (required to get the door out). Look for screws on either side of the, right at the bottom. Normally there are 2 of them, one to mount the hardware, the other to adjust the height. I believe fully clockwise = full extended wheels. Maybe yours got retracted somehow.

More likely, the wheels are destroyed because the door is heavy as fuck and builders use piece of shit components that wear out after a few years.

You do NOT need to take apart the frame to get the door out. However, they tend to only come out through the outside, which requires removal of the stationary section first. There are usually some screws and a bracket near the wall on the inside that secure this in place. You may want to pick it up and slide it toward the center before lifting out.

Then you can take out the sliding door. If you feel it catch, then the wheels are still down. Turn the screw fully CCW to retract them. It will get hard to turn, but don't force it or you risk completely backing out the adjustable screw.

Wheel cartridge looks like this.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My wife wants to replace our sliding glass door with one, but I'd need to build a new patio/step platform to be wide enough for both sides of a French door, and we currently have concrete steps. F that.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm soon going to replace my dining room windows with french doors. The builder of this house obviously had that in mind - the window header is at a standard door width and height, and the deck will very easily extend to that point. An easy deck extension and an easy door insertion without disturbing siding or drywall in any major way.

Also, deck outside the dining room will be extra strong for a hot tub.

wOOt

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Also, deck outside the dining room will be extra strong for a hot tub.

wOOt
I'd recommend not putting a hot-tub on a deck. Build a deck around it for sure if you want, but on the deck the deck acts as a giant sound amplifier when the jets are on. You'll reduce a lot of noise by getting the hot tub on the ground.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It is a good point. The section the hot tub will be on will be independent of the rest of the deck with about a half inch clearance and will be more of a floor than a deck. Plus, the type of hot tub we're going to get doesn't make as much noise. Check out SofTubs. They're stupid easy, and very quiet.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Already happened when I was living at my fathers house in Middleboro. Had to take on a FEMA loan of $50k just to repair it.
And had to put his house up for collateral on that loan I'm sure.

We got 14k loan from FEMA via SBA to cover 112k in damages, but my stepdad bought himself a car and took off with it. I squeezed about 19k out of the insurance company (for damages incurred above the water line) plus 4k FEMA in non-loan settlement/grant money, and did the work with the help of neighbors. It's all done besides new flooring in the two bedrooms, but about 7k went on the credit cards and the interest payments are crushing my will to live because I just can't pay the debt down at the rates they're charging.

iannis

Musty Nester
Look into a consolidation loan from a local bank.

Credit card interest starts to get TRULY redonkulous. Even if the bank will only give you a couple of points, that adds up.

Alternatively, if you don't mind 7 years of about a 20 credit rating you could just tell them to go fuck themselves. You don't really even have to declare bankruptcy, you just have to empty your accounts. Credit cards can't garnish you.