Home Improvement

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Split the area in two and it becomes more managable.

You can rent a small cement mixer for 60 bucks a day at home depot.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I had some construction done at my house and lost a 7'x3' section of my concrete walkway. I've never poured a slab before, debating whether I should just do it myself or pay someone. I feel like that's a lot of cement and I would need a mixer which makes me lean towards hiring someone. What do you guys think ?
Renting a mixer isn't terribly expensive. Do it yourself and save about a thousand bucks is my guess.

Edit: Dammit, hodj, why do we seem to be agreeing so often lately?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
On this topic I literally know jack shit except for what Ive learned the past week or so, which happens to be just enough to offer advice to someone who is sitting where I was four days ago!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Concrete is surprisingly easy. I had never done it before, but we did a pool and the surrounding sidewalk/pathways and everything for my brother-in-law a few years ago. It went incredibly smoothly.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
On this topic I literally know jack shit except for what Ive learned the past week or so, which happens to be just enough to offer advice to someone who is sitting where I was four days ago!
The thing to remember is for a lot of contractor work the jobs are often handled by teenagers with half a day's training. Not to say there aren't jobs that a seasoned pro isn't much better at, but most things are so simple that people with the intellect of a child can do it.

It's like cooking and baking, if you actually just follow the god damned recipe it's not that hard.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The thing to remember is for a lot of contractor work the jobs are often handled by teenagers with half a day's training. Not to say there aren't jobs that a seasoned pro isn't much better at, but most things are so simple that people with the intellect of a child can do it.

It's like cooking and baking, if you actually just follow the god damned recipe it's not that hard.
Yeah, plus if you can use Youtube to teach yourself college level biology, chemistry, physics and calculus, then you can use youtube to teach yourself how to lay concrete and brick and hang drywall and the like. And the best part of that is that the people who tend to make "how to" videos are pretty experienced, and they'll throw in tips and tricks that you would need to learn through experience otherwise, similar to learning from someone face to face.

The biggest thing is preparation, really. If you're prepared, with proper tools, planning and, like you said, the proper recipe to follow, its hard to fuck it up too much.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You are entirely right. When doing concrete work, the biggest thing is prep. The one thing that a seasoned pro with cement can do that you can't is get exactly the finish quality you want. If the end result doesn't matter if it's a bit rough or dimpled, then do it yourself. If you want to have a mirror finish that reflects light, hire it out.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anything I should know about replacing an existing dishwasher? Ours shot craps last week and I'm going to replace it this weekend. I've replaced a garbage disposal, a toilet, and faucets before but that's the extent of my experience with anything plumbing-related. I've heard dishwashers are pretty damn easy, I'm hoping that is true.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Anything I should know about replacing an existing dishwasher? Ours shot craps last week and I'm going to replace it this weekend. I've replaced a garbage disposal, a toilet, and faucets before but that's the extent of my experience with anything plumbing-related. I've heard dishwashers are pretty damn easy, I'm hoping that is true.
Super easy. You've got this.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Find and unhook power if something is catching you.
Make sure some dicksuck hasn't built up the floor in front of it and entombed it forever.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Find and unhook power if something is catching you.
Make sure some dicksuck hasn't built up the floor in front of it and entombed it forever.
I have had to deal with that. Tile installed after dishwasher. Man is that miserable. Use a pliers to shorten the front feet before trying to pull it out.

Picasso3

Have really low flow on the hot water side of an old two handle shower. Gonna pop the stem and check it out i guess but even if that's it it'll prob be a longshot on finding a replacement. I'm open to all advice.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man pex is easy. I just did my whole basement plus new hose bib the other day and found it pretty damn enjoyable to work with. Really recommend for those who have plumbing to do.

Btw. I've had for over a year or so but the houzz App is awesome for ideas.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Man pex is easy. I just did my whole basement plus new hose bib the other day and found it pretty damn enjoyable to work with. Really recommend for those who have plumbing to do.

Btw. I've had for over a year or so but the houzz App is awesome for ideas.
That app is evil unless you have 6 figures in remodel cash on hand. Fuck that app, I'm like "oh yea I mean that's only how many thousand?" "yea I could do that for not that much" "if I just take out that wall and..."

Picasso3

Most of them are ridiculous but i still enjoy it. My kitchen remodel is up to about 300 ideabooks which gets me super hard, i think people appreciate seeing normal human remodels.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
This dishwasher is my worst nightmare.

Whoever remodeled our home before we purchased it, tiled AFTER they put the dishwasher in. There's a good 1/2 inch lip of tile that the dishwasher feet just cant clear at all to get it out. I even screwed the feet down as low as they would go, and no dice. Feet would need to be removed to clear it, but that requires extending them out farther until they come out, and there's no clearance to do that either, the diswhasher is completely flush against the underside of the kitchen counter. Zero clearance.

Fuck, guess I'm going to have to have our old one repaired instead, as I really don't want to have to bust out several pieces of tile, and re-tile, especially since I don't have any extra pieces of the tile on our kitchen floor, I'd never find a match.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, considering that for the weekend. Definitely no turning back at that point though