Home Improvement

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We were going to stain+seal our decks next weekend but it looks like weather might not agree so I'm doing them this weekend. Unfortunately we had a bunch of family that was going to help but they're all away this weekend so we'll (me) be doing it ourselves.

I bought the deck cleaner stuff and I'm doing that today, then staining on saturday/sunday.

Any gotchas or things I need to look out for? I'm going to lay down the bulk of the stain with one of those "deck stain applicator" push things on a handle and then use a brush to work it in and work out and blobs/puddles.

Never stained a deck before so hoping I don't fuck it up.

Also our deck is pretty low to the ground, about 2 feet off the dirt. Do I need to stain/seal the undercarriage?
Did you power wash it? Is it ready to go? In my experience, preparation is more than half the work. Don't worry about the undercarriage unless it's entirely visible. It will be fine.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I've got a series of pictures (from beginning to end) for later, but I wanted to pick your guys' brain on how you'd fix this problem I'm having. These floating planks have lips on them that require you to angle the new plank at the edge of the previous row at about 45 degrees. Once it's snapped along the entire edge you lay it flat on the ground and slide it down to connect the end with the rest of the row. You can more or less tell from the picture below.

rrr_img_136140.jpg

My problem is that my last two planks of my last row can't be attached the way they're supposed to. There are two doorways in the way, one being a closet. I can use a pull bar to get them snugly together, but because they're in what should be the locked position, they won't snap and lock when I just shove them together. Here's the hallway (I still need to trim the carpet on the right back to the threshold as it is on the left):

jtX8dqP.jpg

The tan line in the middle of the picture is the small gap between the planks in front of the closet door.

nO6jsZ9.jpg

Any ideas?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Trim either the groove or the tongue and use a bead of adhesive to sit it into the plank.

Unfortunately it looks like in the top pick your planning means you are basically boned on that plank if you don't use a threshold or step down carpet trip. It will just get kicked up all the time since there is no baseboard it will sneak under there in the doorway.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Definitely using a reducer for the carpets and t molding for the kitchen and bathroom linoleum. I didn't think that was optional?

Edit: What kind of adhesive should I grab?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Definitely using a reducer for the carpets and t molding for the kitchen and bathroom linoleum. I didn't think that was optional?

Edit: What kind of adhesive should I grab?
They usually have some at the usual suspects with installation tools. Also, when I say 'trim' I don't mean remove completely, usually you can remove just enough (off the top of the tongue) to get them to fit together with the bead of glue on it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Ok, thanks for the advice. When I was hunting for videos of people installing the last row of floating planks I found a couple where they trimmed and glued, but I wasn't sure if that was the "best" way to handle it.

Ryoz

<Donor>
Well we got an offer at asking price already. They want to settle in a month. Was only on the market 4 days. Woo hoo!

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shit Ryoz, that's fast. Are you in a hot market, or do you think it was just "right place, right time"?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
For putting the molding back on and quarter round over it, I'll want a nail gun right? Is there such a thing as an inexpensive one since I doubt it'll get much use after this project?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
For putting the molding back on and quarter round over it, I'll want a nail gun right? Is there such a thing as an inexpensive one since I doubt it'll get much use after this project?
Nope they don't usually come cheap from my experience and it's not hard to do by hand, just get a punch to tap the nail in through the wood.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why are you putting molding back on and quarter round? You usually only use quarter round when you don't take up the molding (ie lazy install). Normal install is you leave 1/4" expansion joint then place molding on top to cover the gap - it will raise the molding the height of the floor if you didn't go down to subfloor, so you may have casement issues around doors and such as well but nothing a flat saw shouldn't have taken care of. QR you can use for certain things that have no easy fix (around cabinetry if you don't want to take up your kitchen).

As far as nail guns, I'd probably lean towards
1) harbor freight
2) rental
3) inexpensive bostitch combo set (pancake comp + 2-3 guns for ~250-300)

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm doing molding and quarter round because I took the molding off of most the walls, but not all of them. In hindsight I should've not been lazy about the couple walls I skipped, but here we are. I did use an oscillating tool to saw the bottom of the door moldings that went to the subfloor since I saw literally nobody puts quarter round on the door molding.

How hard is it to use the nail punch ? I'm all for being frugal, but when it comes to finesse, I don't really trust my ability to not leave some hammer marks on the wood.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
You can pick up a brad nailer for under $30. You'll need a compressor of course, but both of those are great things to have around the house.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
How hard is it to use the nail punch ? I'm all for being frugal, but when it comes to finesse, I don't really trust my ability to not leave some hammer marks on the wood.
It's pretty simple, here is a pic that shows how you do it. Your first few might be sloppy but not too bad. It is tedious for sure.

Trim-Hammering-Trim.jpg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I may actually go with that option then. It's not like there's 50 nails per board. Seemed like there was one every 18 inches or so.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I may actually go with that option then. It's not like there's 50 nails per board. Seemed like there was one every 18 inches or so.
Is this a one time project, or are you going to be doing more in your home? Could be worth investing in something for future projects, if it saves time and hassle down the road. I've made the mistake in the past of doing one job and cheaping out because I didn't think I'd be doing another like it. Unfortunately didn't have anyone I knew that I could borrow a tool from: biscuit joiner, miter saw, etc.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You can get trim nailers and small compressors surprisingly cheap. One of my better purchases, check slickdeals.