Home Improvement

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Actually i'm going to have bigger problems because the wall i planned on runing all this shit through is fucking block.

They ran block up 2 stories on one side of the house... guess they had extra.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Man, that sucks the balls of donkeys with the force of a tsunami.

Maybe.

Block is generally thick enough to run a 3 inch pipe in the same cavity. Block also retains its structural integrity if you open up a channel vertically. Block, provided they didn't fill it, breaks pretty nicely and neatly with a good masonry chisel. You might be able to break an opening in, fit in your bigger pipe, and feel like a rock star all in one project.

A big assed masonry blade on an angle grinder will make it even easier. Harbor Freight sells a 12 inch angle grinder for something like 20 bucks.

Picasso3

you're fucking nuts. i'm thinking of walling out with 2x4s and eating the 4 inches... i'll be able to run pipes and electric. I was going to have cabinets all down that wall so it'd suck ass to have 0 outlets. Probably be good to have it insulated anyway.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Thats 1.5 inch galvanized. No stacks on this side of the house as there were no toilets. I added 1 in the basement when i redid all the plumbing down there. I put a 2" AAV before the washer standpipe trap and it's fine. I'd like to bring it all together but i think a washer, toilet, kitchen sink, and dishwasher will all be too much for a 2" vent.

This side hasn't been vented properly for a while now because they took the drain off that galvanized in the wall (prob rusted over inside) and just ran pvc through the floor without a vent.
Nah man. According to my handy national plumbing code of Canada, a 1.5" vent can handle 42 fixture units at a maximum distance of 9m/30ft (furthest vent connection to open air). A 2" vent can handle up to 42 fixture units a maximum distance of 30m/100ft. A typical kitchen/bathroom sink is 1.5 fixture units, a toilet is 4, a shower is 2, a bathtub is 1.5, and a washer is 2 if the p-trap is 2". I really doubt that your entire house has much more than 20 fixture units. So really, your entire house could likely be vented with a 1.5" vent, and definitely with a 2" vent. However some plumbing codes stipulate that every sewer connection must have a 3" vent to open air, regardless of how much drainage is needed.

I would doubt that your local codes differ hugely in terms of vent sizing. It's all based on the same research and basic principles.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Nah man. According to my handy national plumbing code of Canada, a 1.5" vent can handle 42 fixture units at a maximum distance of 9m/30ft (furthest vent connection to open air). A 2" vent can handle up to 42 fixture units a maximum distance of 30m/100ft. A typical kitchen/bathroom sink is 1.5 fixture units, a toilet is 4, a shower is 2, a bathtub is 1.5, and a washer is 2 if the p-trap is 2". I really doubt that your entire house has much more than 20 fixture units. So really, your entire house could likely be vented with a 1.5" vent, and definitely with a 2" vent. However some plumbing codes stipulate that every sewer connection must have a 3" vent to open air, regardless of how much drainage is needed.

I would doubt that your local codes differ hugely in terms of vent sizing. It's all based on the same research and basic principles.
This is all great information. Thanks for sharing. Guess I was wrong in my estimations!

do a 2 inch, it'll fit in your wall, and just before it goes through the roof, upsize it to a three inch, so it looks all good to code.

biggrin.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Well, upsizing it to 3" at the roof won't meet code, if there is a stipulation in the code about having a 3" vent stack to open air. It would have to be 3" the whole way. The only thing upsizing a vent right before it goes through the roof does is protect it from frost closure in colder weather. That's good plumbing practice, although not specifically required by the Canadian code anyways. It just says that you need to take steps to make sure it won't frost over, and the easiest way to do that is bump it up one pipe size for the roof penetration.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Well, upsizing it to 3" at the roof won't meet code, if there is a stipulation in the code about having a 3" vent stack to open air. It would have to be 3" the whole way. The only thing upsizing a vent right before it goes through the roof does is protect it from frost closure in colder weather. That's good plumbing practice, although not specifically required by the Canadian code anyways. It just says that you need to take steps to make sure it won't frost over, and the easiest way to do that is bump it up one pipe size for the roof penetration.
I was talking about cheating code.

I'm a bad person. I'd never do it on my own house, though.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I worked on a tearout and rewiring of a building once, and when we went to pull out some of the old feeders (electrical cables, copper in this case) we found that they had ran cables that were far too small a gauge and then spliced on the proper sized cable to each conductor at each end so that the splices themselves where obscured down in the conduit where no one would ever see them unless they pulled the cable out.

images

hqdefault.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider

I'm a bad person. I'd never do it on my own house, though.
It wouldn't cause any issues, truth be told. The whole 3" vent thing is mainly to ensure that the municipal sewers are well vented. One house not having it isn't going to make a lick of difference.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So later this year there will be an Ikea opening in my city. I've never been to one before, there isn't one within 4-5 hours of here currently.

Do they have any products that are seriously worth looking at for home remodeling? I've heard that they actually sell kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, etc, and we are planning a bathroom remodel soon, so I guess I'm just curious if it would be worth waiting to see what Ikea has to offer, or should we just move forward getting most of our products from the usual places like Lowe's and Home Depot.

Vinen

God is dead
So later this year there will be an Ikea opening in my city. I've never been to one before, there isn't one within 4-5 hours of here currently.

Do they have any products that are seriously worth looking at for home remodeling? I've heard that they actually sell kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, etc, and we are planning a bathroom remodel soon, so I guess I'm just curious if it would be worth waiting to see what Ikea has to offer, or should we just move forward getting most of our products from the usual places like Lowe's and Home Depot.
I'd lean towards Lowe's and Home Depot. Ikea stuff is really temporary.

I've been watching a condo in the Boston area NOT SELL because it was an Ikea Renovation.

Picasso3

Prob depends on price range but their vanities are definitely worth looking at. If you want modern lowes and hd will fail.

rasstapp_sl

shitlord

If you get the same stuff that we have in Europe, both bathroom and kitchen is really good value, especially at that price point. Of course it's fiberboard mostly, but with 10 year warranty for baths and 25 for kitchen it doesn't make a lot of difference.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If you want modern lowes and hd will fail.
We have noticed that, all of their options looks pretty similar. Traditional, natural wood tones. The only spots you can get a little crazy are the countertops with the various types of stone