Home Improvement

lindz

#DDs
I expect its warmer than tile too? I hate cold kitchen floors in the morning. That why I prefer hardwood in kitchens typically.

I've seen a fair share of carpeted bathrooms.

If you're not planning on staying there long enough to have to replace it when it gets moldy it's actually not a terrible thing, I guess. Or if you're a designer with more concern for style than sense, I suppose. All I can ever think when I walk into one is "What a bacteria factory. I wonder if this carpet started green. I wonder if it startedshag".
And I totally agree. It always just seems so gross. I mean bathrooms are damp. No matter how good your fans in there are, it gets moist in the bathroom when you have a shower and that is going to effect the carpet. Seems so boneheaded to me.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
As far as painting goes, remember that preparation is more than half the work. Get the walls and area totally ready to go before starting. Once you actually get going, be patient, and do plenty of backrolling.

And as far as tiling goes, starting with a good quality vinyl tile isn't a bad way to go. They even have vinyl tile you can grout. Pretty nice stuff. Or, take your time, do a lot of reading on tiling, do really good prep so your tile doesn't crack later. It's not hard, provided you have the time to learn about it, and time to do it properly.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hey bros, I too am a house noob.

We're looking to install a fence at our new house, and by looking to install I mean hire someone else to do it. Obviously I can't ask for specific quotes here, but looking for a general idea on what the labor cost would be on around 450 linear feet of fence would be?

When I ask for quotes I want to make sure I'm not being taken. We will have all of the materials paid for.

Even a general hourly rate followed by a rough estimate of time to install would be helpful.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Looking for a chain link fence in MA (harsh winters). Might go for wood if we can get a good deal.

I'll check that link for now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
True but I'd rather have someone do it right for me, rather than me fumble through it - plus I don't have a lot of time to set aside to do it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yup, that's the trade off. If you've got the money to spend, and don't want to do it yourself, get three estimates at least. You should have a good idea of what's up then.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So this spring im going to start on a family room remodel. The family room has all paneling walls (fucking 70s) and a brick fireplace that basically spans the entire width of the room. What we want to do is get rid of the paneling, insulate exterior walls and do wallboard. Cut the brick fireplace down to just a regular looking fireplace and then apply tiles to the left over fireplace bricks and then redo the mantle.

The ceiling also has 2 fake beam things. Im not sure if we want to keep those. If I were to keep them would you remove them first, apply the new wallboard and put them back? Or wallboard around them?

Ill take some picts later.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I did exactly that in my family room - changed paneling to drywall, stucco ceiling to smooth, added beams, changed a shit ugly rock fireplace to slate tile up to the mantle, then oak mantle and upper. Changed the room 100%. Totally worth it. It was the crap room in the house, now it's the most inviting.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I want to do the exact same thing to our basement. It has old shitty paneling that my wife doesn't seem to mind but I hate. The biggest reason I want to remove it is because I want to put insulation behind it because I'm 99% certain that it doesn't have any.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My basement room was really cold, so I took down the poorly installed walls in there, put 2 inch foam-board insulation, and added a 2x4 wall which I filled with cellulose insulation. It's really, really warm down there, now. It's awesome.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
ordered an awning window and they got the width and height backwards and i have a hole in the side of my house.

so fucking pissed.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That sucks badly. Should have just installed it sideways. Sideways awning would have been the talk of the neighbourhood.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So, in our new home we're moving into in about a month the driveway is "graded improperly" and at the end is graded towards the house rather than away from. Ultimately I'd like to redo the driveway, but until then what are some good fixes I can do as a temp fix? I was thinking I could put some drainage system there to move the water away from the house. The area is only a few feet long. I can't get any pics yet.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you genuinely intend to fix it later and it's not causing any problems, ignore it.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, in our new home we're moving into in about a month the driveway is "graded improperly" and at the end is graded towards the house rather than away from. Ultimately I'd like to redo the driveway, but until then what are some good fixes I can do as a temp fix? I was thinking I could put some drainage system there to move the water away from the house. The area is only a few feet long. I can't get any pics yet.
Yeah I wouldn't do anything with it until you replace the whole thing.