Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
do neighbors have shittier yards.
Yeah, they’re not even competing. It’s not an HoA or overly fussy neighborhood. I just really miss the yards of my youth. Around here everybody has warm season grasses that (imo) are much uglier and definitely not as pleasant to walk on with bare feet.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, that’s a pretty common phrase but I didn’t know what the block 1-10 or whatever meant.
well on my block, i'm a good solid 6/10. BTW i don't think anyone has a 9 or a 10, the best looking lawn is done by a company and it's a low 8.

My neighbor where we share space is a 4, looks like her lawn is scalped. She also has this tree and i notice dozens of empty nutshells around.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
well on my block, i'm a good solid 6/10. BTW i don't think anyone has a 9 or a 10, the best looking lawn is done by a company and it's a low 8.

My neighbor where we share space is a 4, looks like her lawn is scalped. She also has this tree and i notice dozens of empty nutshells around.
Ah, I see what you're saying now. Yeah my neighbors on either side of me are 3-4 and I'm a high 6/low 7 (it just looks better next to theirs lol). Up and down the street it's between 1 (dude essentially let his lawn go to pasture - you literally could've bailed it in july/august) to 5. The dude I "pointed my stripes" at has been stepping up his game, but seems like he doesn't actually know what he's doing or doesn't care enough to put any actual effort into it.

I'm definitely not doing this because I want to be the best in my neighborhood. I'm doin it because I want a nice property that's uniquely designed and I can show off/makes me feel proud.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ah, I see what you're saying now. Yeah my neighbors on either side of me are 3-4 and I'm a high 6/low 7 (it just looks better next to theirs lol). Up and down the street it's between 1 (dude essentially let his lawn go to pasture - you literally could've bailed it in july/august) to 5. The dude I "pointed my stripes" at has been stepping up his game, but seems like he doesn't actually know what he's doing or doesn't care enough to put any actual effort into it.

I'm definitely not doing this because I want to be the best in my neighborhood. I'm doin it because I want a nice property that's uniquely designed and I can show off/makes me feel proud.
wow your hoa must be non existent that there are 1 to 5s

i mean i think my cul de sac is ok, until i take a jog around the surrounding blocks and comparatively my cul de sac is like a lawn showroom. even my lawn4 neighbor (it looks like her lawn had some disease, i took a brunt of it too, and my seedlings are filling in the craters) keeps her lawn edged.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, they’re not even competing. It’s not an HoA or overly fussy neighborhood. I just really miss the yards of my youth. Around here everybody has warm season grasses that (imo) are much uglier and definitely not as pleasant to walk on with bare feet.
You obviously spend a decent amount of time outside. You know what's in that soil and grass. And you still want your bare feet touching it?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You obviously spend a decent amount of time outside. You know what's in that soil and grass. And you still want your bare feet touching it?
yea lulz, my garage was stinking to high heaven, cuz i forgot to reseal my one bag of miloganite, holy shit.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So just bought a Nest 3 for $70 AR and thinking I might return it. I have a dual fuel system with a Heat pump and a gas furnace. Strange set up for this area as my understanding is the gas furnace won't kick in until its around 35 degrees out which I don't think happens all that often but whatever, it's already installed.

Anyways, the Nest setup thinks I need a pro Nest installer to come out because if a dual fuel system is set up incorrectly I could burn out the heat pump or something. (can't run both heaters at the same time)

Personally I think the setup seems straight forward enough but the wife doesn't want me fucking with something that expensive that there is even a remote possibility I could break.

Thoughts?

20181025_193453.jpg

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everyone knows you cut the red wire to stop the count down to destruction.

• 1Worf

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Ugh, think I have to get a new front door at some point too, old wood door doesn't have the best fit, nor is it installed correctly. Really dreading putting nice trim on it on the inside only to have to tear it out to replace the door when I get around to it.

Money pit is right lol.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ugh, think I have to get a new front door at some point too, old wood door doesn't have the best fit, nor is it installed correctly. Really dreading putting nice trim on it on the inside only to have to tear it out to replace the door when I get around to it.

Money pit is right lol.
you can just buy a door slab w/o the frame/trim

that's what i've been buying to replace these old basic looking interior doors.

they sell exterior doors as slabs too w/o the frame or called "pre-hung"

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Really the worst thing at this point besides new things piling on is that I can't fucking set up our house until this shit is done.

Have to put in new front door likely, redo casing around 8 door sides, then trim the living room, hallway, one bedroom. Then finish my patch job in the bedroom and paint, install a new sliding closet door in another bedroom, buy new couches, and install my projector and screen (maybe putting A/V equipment in a closet) or buy a new TV before I can take a fucking break and get back to real work that pays.

Should have just moved in as is lol.

At some point I'll dump some pictures of what I've done, should have taken better before pictures, pulled out the carpet before even thinking about it haha.

Last edited:

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Oh and if anyone is an HVAC guy and wants to reassure me I won't fuck my shit up please PM me or respond here lol

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Oh and if anyone is an HVAC guy and wants to reassure me I won't fuck my shit up please PM me or respond here lol
Not an HVAC guy, but you *can* fuck the shit up if you don’t follow the directions meticulously. The setup is simple, but don’t get overconfident. Read the setup and installation instructions beginning to end at least once before you actually start. When you’re done reading, start on step one, go one step at a time, have the checklist in hand, and cross each item off as you do it. You’ll be fine.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
EVEN IF YOU ARE SUPER LAZY!!!

turn the breaker off for the furnace when putting in, or futzing around w/ a thermostat

• 1Worf

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Lol, had the breaker off and the gas shut off for my furnace and water heater while I painted, I'm not that lazy. Problem is the instructions for dual fuel systems are locked behind some bullshit "pro" site for Nest. I managed to see the directions for the 2nd gen though so not sure it changed, doesn't actually look difficult at all, just pick dual fuel in pro setup and select which type of backup you have. Still, the idea I could burn out something I can't afford to replace right now scares me. (well scares the wife more)

lurker

Vyemm Raider
No offence, but what's the attraction to the Nest and other "learning" thermostats? I read somewhere that the most desired feature of these thermostats is the learning part and the most disabled feature is the learning part. I personally use my thermostat, a cheapy, like an on/off switch. If it's cold/hot I turn the furnace/AC. I turn everything off at night. What am I missing?