Home Improvement

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This might not exactly qualify as home improvement.

The day we moved in we noticed a handful of ants patrolling inside the house. I'm not sure how ants work, but my guess is they were looking for food and would report back. They never made it back. Last night I went into the basement because a couple days prior my wife told me there was a giant spider that needed to die. My intent was to set it free, but as I laid my eyes on it a little poop dripped out of my butt. Then I noticed beneath it... a genocide of ants. The spider killed probably 50-60 ants and they lay on the floor dead beneath him. I high-fived the spider and told my wife he was dealt with. He's on borrowed time at this point.

Then I left my house this morning and noticed that our walkway (bricks laid into a path) has ant mounds sprouting up all over it (seemingly overnight).

What's my best course of action here? I feel like the troops are assembling outside the gates of Mordor and I need to take charge. Is there a preferred spray to use on the exterior of my house and possibly on my path as well? What should I do inside? The warden in the basement is taking care of that level, but what about upstairs? We haven't seen any since my bro in the basement has been on death duty, but like I said as soon as my wife spots him he's done.
That you made a Mordor reference but not Ungoliant or Shelob is disappointing
frown.png

I resign myself to the fact that ants will get in. Put some traps where they show up(probably your kitchen) and they'll be gone in a couple days. Never fails.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Terro liquid traps are pretty good. Honestly though, as said, I doubt the fuckers every go away forever. We've had a few home invasions so far, and each time because we left food out on the counter overnight. We just try to not do that, and each time they come in, I seal the entrance used. I figure another 20 invasions and I might have all the entrances covered!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Right, I'm not under the delusion that I will get rid of them forever. I figured that they were staging some sort of campaign outside my house and I should do what prevention I can. The dude downstairs is loving it though. I'll take a picture of his murder later.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So who is one supposed to call when you have a water leak of unknown origin? Long story short I bought a new townhome/condo in 2008 and it's had leak issues ever since day one when we get a torrential downpour about 2-4 times a year. All the townhome units have the same leak to varying degrees, which we fought with the builder for the first few years to fix, but none of his band-aids stuck and your rights in Texas as a homeowner are basically non-existent. There's a 3rd floor outdoor patio that sits on top of our 2nd floor living room (where the water leaks from the ceiling) so the leak is coming from there, but we're unsure whether it's the windows or the stucco. We've had people out over the years to caulk the windows and patch any stucco cracks, but when we get a torrential downpour we all get the same leak which necessitates redoing a part of the ceiling.. I've called two contractors, both of which seemed unlikely to have graduated high school and could only surmise the leaks' origin. Called a window company, and they only seemed interested in selling me windows rather than fixing the leak. I'm at wits end as to who can competently fix this once and for all...

Remit_sl

shitlord
Follow up on windows:

So my wife had Lowes price match each individual window to Home Depot or Ziggies (local building store). Then we put it on our LAR account (5% off) and she had some moving coupon for like 10% off. We did this with just about everything (doors, windows, cabinets, counterparts, flooring, appliances, trim, etc).

Remit_sl

shitlord
So who is one supposed to call when you have a water leak of unknown origin? Long story short I bought a new townhome/condo in 2008 and it's had leak issues ever since day one when we get a torrential downpour about 2-4 times a year. All the townhome units have the same leak to varying degrees, which we fought with the builder for the first few years to fix, but none of his band-aids stuck and your rights in Texas as a homeowner are basically non-existent. There's a 3rd floor outdoor patio that sits on top of our 2nd floor living room (where the water leaks from the ceiling) so the leak is coming from there, but we're unsure whether it's the windows or the stucco. We've had people out over the years to caulk the windows and patch any stucco cracks, but when we get a torrential downpour we all get the same leak which necessitates redoing a part of the ceiling.. I've called two contractors, both of which seemed unlikely to have graduated high school and could only surmise the leaks' origin. Called a window company, and they only seemed interested in selling me windows rather than fixing the leak. I'm at wits end as to who can competently fix this once and for all...
I would call a drywall company that has a general contractor on staff. That way they can tear into the ceiling, figure out where the leak is coming from, fix it, and then repair the ceiling. Make sure it is a drywaller who is doing the ceiling cutting.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I used to have ants in my back yard so badly I couldn't grow grass in large sections. For two years, I went and put a few drops of straight up gasoline in every single ant hole I could find in the yard, while simultaneously putting liquid Torro ant killer all over the house (in non obtrusive places, but lots of places). Took two years, but there is no evidence of any ants anywhere in my yard anymore, and it is EXTREMELY rare that there are ants inside the house. I continue to apply the liquid ant killer in the house a few times a year.

As far as table saws - I have a 10 inch Craftsman, and if I had to buy a new one tomorrow, I'd get the same one. Incredibly accurate, nice, straight cuts, great angle cuts. It's a quality machine. I do everything from rip large sheet of plywood to make delicate furniture using this saw. Something like this:

Craftsman 21807: Make Those Miters Tight with Sears

And if you have to find a leak, it will be so much cheaper if you can find the source of the leak yourself. Get a buddy, get a garden hose, and go experiment. Once you have found the leak, call a roofing company, or similar. They will find the leak for you, but they'll charge a lot.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I saw this on Craigslist. Duno if that extension is worth it.

Makita Table Saw w/Rousseau Extension
That's a nice saw, and the extension is worth it, except I would never buy a table saw with a blade smaller than 10 inches. I'd love a 12 inch one, but they're crazy expensive. Realistically, with an 8 1/4 blade, you have about 3.25 inches of cutting clearance. Won't even cut a 2x4 on end.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I would call a drywall company that has a general contractor on staff. That way they can tear into the ceiling, figure out where the leak is coming from, fix it, and then repair the ceiling. Make sure it is a drywaller who is doing the ceiling cutting.
Thanks, will do. I swear, I bought a brand fucking new home under the misguided impression that would help me AVOID home repairs/surprises, yet ironically it's been the exact opposite. The builder was a fucking total scumbag post sale that would just slap more caulking on the windows and repair the ceiling each time, then after his fourth repair attempt after two years (each fix we'd have to wait months until the next rain) he just basically said it was "the nature of the beast in Texas with horizontal rain". The HOA looked into suing his ass but every lawyer we spoke to said it was practically hopeless because if found guilty local builders just close shop and open under a new name. Not that he would necessarily be found guilty though, because state law protects the builders more than homeowners. Even the warranty the state obliges them to furnish through a 3rd party is useless (Ace's home warranty). Three months after moving in a crevice 1/4" wide opened on the ground floor (finished/polished cement) stretching from one end of the house to another, caused by the foundation settling. Well, this was "covered" under warranty with the stipulation that "any crack over 1/8" wide must be brought back within tolerance". So all the fucker did was run a bead of epoxy along the crevice (which obviously looked like shit). There was no obligation to make it look good or like new. Seriously fuck home builders and contractors. Shadiest most uneducated fucks I've ever dealt with. /Rant off.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You can hire someone to tear into your drywall, or you could just open the drywall yourself. The repair cost will be the same afterward, and you won't have to pay someone to tear holes in your ceiling.

Remit_sl

shitlord
You can hire someone to tear into your drywall, or you could just open the drywall yourself. The repair cost will be the same afterward, and you won't have to pay someone to tear holes in your ceiling.
I have personally witnessed an employee (who stuck his foot through the ceiling during a wiring project) tear out 14x4ft of drywall because "figured it would be easier to replace a whole sheet". If you dont know how to cut along tape lines or studs... have a drywaller do it.

Turned a $20 fix into a $300 one.

Remit_sl

shitlord
It probably would have been ok if he didn't think a sheet was 14' though
Yeah, luckily I stopped him where I did. He was headed through the second sheet. Fucking idiots.

Took down 2 light fixtures, made a huge fucking mess. Had to feather the whole thing out about 2 feet because it was the sheet right behind the lights and it was going to show bad. Luckily my drywall guy got the texture perfect first try.

Could have fixed it for free though if it was just a foot hole. Even had a can of spray texture left over from the remodel

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Update on the ants: They are on full assault mode.

I bought some Orkin spray stuff for the outside of my house. Did the 12 inch spray around the perimeter and on the side of my house. I also sprayed in the path where all the ant holes were coming up. The ones in the path have ceased activity. Now I notice a shitload of them in my driveway with no visible signs where they're coming from. They're now being found all over my kitchen and dining room (kitchen entrance door and also sliding glass door). I keep spraying the entrances but they keep coming. We don't have any food out and we don't have trails of them coming in, so I assume they're just trying to locate some food or whatever. They don't bother me, but the wife is pissy about them. My dog just keeps eating them.

Also, potentially dumb question. I've noticed that our dishwasher has a hi-temp drying feature, but it doesn't seem to work. Whenever it runs everything is still wet inside. Is this something I should seek warranty for? It's a frigidaire and brand new if that matters. Just a mild annoyance.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
As mentioned earlier, get the Terro ant traps. Those things work. Anytime I get ants, I throw a couple of those out and the ants are 100% gone within 48 hours. They Terro traps are poison that they carry back to their home, so no dead ants all over your counter or anything, it's slow-acting so that it wipes out more than just the ant that eats it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Also, potentially dumb question. I've noticed that our dishwasher has a hi-temp drying feature, but it doesn't seem to work. Whenever it runs everything is still wet inside. Is this something I should seek warranty for? It's a frigidaire and brand new if that matters. Just a mild annoyance.
Is everything wet, or just items that are plastic (tupperware, plastic cups, plastic plates, etc) Anything that is glass or ceramic or metal should definitely be dry from the heat, but plastic will never get dry, it doesn't heat up like those other materials.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So I posted in the "shit you just bought thread" and might as well kick off the effort here. Weather permitting I'll be doing a 2nd attempt at my deck cleaning and staining project. Last year I started it but it was 105 degrees outside and there was no way a ginger like me was going to sit out in that heat and sun. This year I'm a little on the front end of the heat but still in Tornado / Storm season so it'll be hit and miss.

Picked up a pressure washer (borrowed one last year, figure we need our own anyways for driveways, siding, deck, etc...) and an airless spray gun which will be good for house painting and the two rooms we want to remodel / repaint as well. It does pretty much everything from a paint, seal, prime, stain so feels like a decent investment. Also picked up a small hand orbital sander for touch ups on the railing, hopefully comes in handy with my next project and testing how to redo cabinets in the laundry room.

One of the local companies came out and did an estimate which was $1,500 to clean / stain + $200 to do the underside of the 2nd story deck (only because it is visible from ground level, not necessarily for protection purposes). Based on his explanation of the process, crew, and man time it seems like a fair price, but it is still more than I'm willing to spend. Typically I have more money than time or sense, not a hard thing since I have very little sense at all, so we'll see how this turns out.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Anyone here ever blow their own cellulose insulation in their attic? I did the rolls of batting in my old house and it made a noticeable difference but there wasnt barely any insulation up there. I was thinking of adding like 6-12 in in my current house to further increase my insulation. I think I have about 8-12in of blown in glass fibre currently. But during my home inspection, when we bought the house, the dude told me it needed more. In the summer its hard to get my house to cool down with the AC running nearly non stop during the 90F days. Its a 2000sq foot ranch.

I heard the cellulose was better all around insulator and I would like to do this myself maybe renting the machine soon before it gets too hot to be up there.