Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Excuse the noob question buds but I'm a younger member of the forum and relatively new to home ownership.

I went up to the attic to get the tree down Friday during a rain storm and noticed a small leak in the roof. Looking up on the roof it seemed to be coming in through the corner in an area around one of these things, with the wood underneath getting soaked and then dripping a drop of water every 1-2 seconds into the attic.

View attachment 444982

I'm guessing it should get some sealant put around it?

That might work if the problem is just a hole from a popped nail or something. In my experience, though, it's almost always badly installed flashing. IMO, if you can't see an immediate source it's worth getting a competent pro up there.
I agree. I had a similar problem with my first house (about 10 years ago) and lucked out with a competent repair guy and an inexpensive fix.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I agree. I had a similar problem with my first house (about 10 years ago) and lucked out with a competent repair guy and an inexpensive fix.
those attic vents was one of my first worries when i got my second house, i put paper towels under there making sure it wasn't went after a rainstorm, i've read conflicting views on pro or nay against against attic vents too

non scientific testing by myself seems to use the ac more w/ the attic fans turned on? so they just stay off.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I appreciate it guys, I was thinking the same thing about calling someone competent out to take a look sometime this week.

Fucker

Log Wizard
those attic vents was one of my first worries when i got my second house, i put paper towels under there making sure it wasn't went after a rainstorm, i've read conflicting views on pro or nay against against attic vents too

non scientific testing by myself seems to use the ac more w/ the attic fans turned on? so they just stay off.
Attic fans are a waste of electricity.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah I appreciate it guys, I was thinking the same thing about calling someone competent out to take a look sometime this week.

Don't call someone. They're going to charge you so much just to show up. Get up there with roofing caulk, put it all the way around under the overlapping shingles, and cover the nails on the bottom really well. Also cover the bottom edge, as rain/snow can back up. This is something you can fix yourself.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Don't call someone. They're going to charge you so much just to show up. Get up there with roofing caulk, put it all the way around under the overlapping shingles, and cover the nails on the bottom really well. Also cover the bottom edge, as rain/snow can back up. This is something you can fix yourself.
Dunno. I've done that and regretted it. Caulking will work a few months until it doesn't, and then then you're in the same spot but permanently paranoid about it. I'd rather spend the money to have it fixed right and not be looking at rot repair in a few years.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Recommendations for fixing shingles that aren't sheeting correctly? Water is getting behind the gutter in even light rain. I thought it was the gutters themselves as they were kinda beat up and sagging in the middle, so I had them replaced this summer. I can peak behind the fascia(garage) after a rain and tell it is damp. So, I'm not sure what's going on.

No rot yet, but same is occurring in the house, no access to the fascia there though.

People that sold the gutter work also recommended a system that would insert between the first and second shingle and the carry water into gutter with an oversized lip. I guess that would ensure water goes into the gutter, but that was an extra 3k, so wasnt in the budget. Anyone heard of this, know if it's good?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Dunno. I've done that and regretted it. Caulking will work a few months until it doesn't, and then then you're in the same spot but permanently paranoid about it. I'd rather spend the money to have it fixed right and not be looking at rot repair in a few years.

Seriously, give it a try with the right roof sealer. Save yourself the money.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
What exactly do you think the roofer is gonna do other than caulk it? lmao

• 1Truth!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Recommendations for fixing shingles that aren't sheeting correctly? Water is getting behind the gutter in even light rain. I thought it was the gutters themselves as they were kinda beat up and sagging in the middle, so I had them replaced this summer. I can peak behind the fascia(garage) after a rain and tell it is damp. So, I'm not sure what's going on.

No rot yet, but same is occurring in the house, no access to the fascia there though.

People that sold the gutter work also recommended a system that would insert between the first and second shingle and the carry water into gutter with an oversized lip. I guess that would ensure water goes into the gutter, but that was an extra 3k, so wasnt in the budget. Anyone heard of this, know if it's good?
Can't really diagnose the problem without pictures, too many possible causes.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What exactly do you think the roofer is gonna do other than caulk it? lmao
Pull up the shingles and flashing and fix the shit job the previous guy did.

Every house I've lived in at one point or other I had leak problems, got a reliable guy up there, and his first comment was, "What moron did this?" And no, he wasn't just talking shit because the leaks stopped by after that. Apparently a lot of people either DIY or hire bargain bin roofers, and that does not result in quality outcomes.

By all means though, do what you like with your own roof.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pull up the shingles and flashing and fix the shit job the previous guy did.

Every house I've lived in at one point or other I had leak problems, got a reliable guy up there, and his first comment was, "What moron did this?" And no, he wasn't just talking shit because the leaks stopped by after that. Apparently a lot of people either DIY or hire bargain bin roofers, and that does not result in quality outcomes.
Box vents don't have flashing. You can either spend a few hundred dollars (possibly more) to have someone replace those shingles and install the box vent correctly (best guess from that one picture Kithani Kithani posted is that the shingles are cut wrong) or you can spend ten bucks on a tube of blackjack and kick the can down the road until it's time to replace the entire roof. One tube should be enough to repair it twice if the repair fails before its time to redo the roof.

Fair enough, I'll get those. While it's raining? I have one saved from heavy downpour because I thought the gutters were overflowing.
Nah, well lit pictures in clear weather.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Question for all you big brains. This is pissing me off.

In the garage attached to my house there are many outlets. On several different breakers. All of them 20 amp. However, when I use something like my table saw with those outlets it trips the breakers on the first try every single time. Once I reset the breaker it works fine unless I stop for more than 20 minutes. Then, once I start the table saw, it trips it again. I reset it, and it's fine for a while.

What in the actual heck is going on here? I've checked the wiring, it's solid. 12 gauge, all connections are good, I've even replaced the breakers but it continues to happen.

help me

IT'S ALMOST DECEMBER

HOW 'BOUT AN UPDATE?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
IT'S ALMOST DECEMBER

HOW 'BOUT AN UPDATE?

Haven't fixed the issue yet. I find if I run an extension chord to just inside the garage in my family room the breakers don't trip. Still a mystery.

I am going to put a subpanel in my garage next summer. I need more breakers out there, and I want to have hanging outlets that come down and then retract like I do in my shop. I have no idea what is going on, but I'm guessing it is the initial load of turning the saw on, and the 70s wiring.

*shrug*

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 439238

Well, this is the most ambitious project I've ever attempted. I'd totally love to do this...to someone else's goddamned house. Holy shit this is stressful.

Anyway, got the house sheathing back on, fucking window is a nut hair too small for fitting an extra 2x4 in the hole after we took all the rot out. Looks like the old wood frame was where most of the rot occured. Managed to get everything back in there tonight, so now I've only got a 2 inch hole in my wall instead of a 10 foot hole.

I guess tomorrow we're gonna see if we can make a window waterproof. Hell, can't be worse than the dipshits who put it in.

Well, I can finally seal the deal on the exterior of this project. I had a small leak during one of the rainstorms earlier in the month. Turns out I had a couple pinholes I didn't see in the sill. Caulked those, and then nature blessed me with a 50° day last Saturday and I took the garden hose to the window. I figure if it can take a full blast garden hose for 5 minutes, it can take a thunderstorm. No leaks, no moisture anywhere. So now, I can finally feel good about putting the drywall back up and redoing the trim on the inside of the window. It was a ton of work, but saved me probably $3000 over having someone do it.

Now, time to figure out how to not make this trim ugly as fuck.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Someone help me pick a dark, almost chocolate floor from Lowes, Home Depot, or something like Lumber Liquidator (something around central Virginia basically). We didnt intend to flip this house, but here we are. My g/f chose this flooring for its all in one, ease of install, foot feel and color:

Barrington 7 mm T x 5.2 in W x 36.22 in L Waterproof Engineered Click Bamboo Flooring (13.07 sf/case)

It'll cover a rough estimate of 482 SQ/FT (not accounting for 10% extra), and need to fall within a budget around ~ $2000-2500 (no shipping necessary). The handyman I use for just about everything in Property Management is quoting $3 per sq/ft. Two stair nose moldings that cost roughly $125 for the rising platform into another area of the house. The rest of the area that its going in is a Dining Room and Kitchen open floor plan. All new baseboard molding (generic white, not designer) all around the sides is being replaced.

We're installing new cabinets and appliances into the Kitchen as well and have all of that purchased - but Im assuming the floor goes down before the cabinets (I forgot to ask.) The subfloor is a bit uneven in spots and squeaks in places. Im being told that the nails in those areas just need to be removed and have actual screws put in place to stop the squeaking. The underlayment that comes with the Barrington sounds convenient, but... again, Im not even sure what Im talking about past the realtor BS standpoint.