Home Improvement

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
imo if they are tech dumb, try the wyze

they have this new cool one that auto tracks movement, meaning it'll tilt the cam (it's 360degrees), so it's actually really good for outside and in weird areas like long tracks of path
940899bb1d65a594ce119735c0c4a18c.png

actually if you buy directly from them and use amazon to ship it's 33bucks
61886250c7489e393b56d5b0e8db03b3.png

if they have alexa it's even nicer, just say "alexa show me outdoor cam 1"

and if they have one of these alexa shows, it'll pop up on the screen
026cb2e3bafabf38354fb7952461aef9.png

the barrier to entry is very minimal at 33bucks, and an old microsd card you have lying around, heck buy the cheap 2pack for 65bucks and you will probably cover a huge area since it's 360 for both cams

you offload all the options to the app (you do not need a subscription w/ a sd card, you just get more features), so theres less to mess up.

Sounds like a solid option. BIL asked about an Arlo system that I'll be looking in to as well. Not sure if those have an option for local storage though. A subscription service is not completely off the table if it makes things really simple for them and is reasonably priced.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sounds like a solid option. BIL asked about an Arlo system that I'll be looking in to as well. Not sure if those have an option for local storage though. A subscription service is not completely off the table if it makes things really simple for them and is reasonably priced.
yea i haven't looked at the arlo since 5 years ago

note, subscription for wyze is 3bucks per cam, so for 2cams a month, not bad for 8cams... maybe not

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
imo if they are tech dumb, try the wyze

My sister who is not techy at all got the Wyze cameras based on my recommendation which was based on Lanx's recommendation and she was able to install them herself and has been very happy with them.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
yea i haven't looked at the arlo since 5 years ago

note, subscription for wyze is 3bucks per cam, so for 2cams a month, not bad for 8cams... maybe not

The basic Arlo plan was $4 per camera or $13 for unlimited. They do want to cover the entire exterior, so that might no be a bad option.

Burns

Lanx Lanx , Burns Burns some good stuff there, much to consider.

If they do go with local storage, I have a 2 bay NAS for my Plex server that I've been looking to upgrade, so they may inherit that. I also probably have enough computer hardware laying around that I could slap together something really basic. I would have to buy a POE capable switch for wired cameras.

As far as the install goes, the BIL is a handy guy and has done plenty of work on the house, but he would prefer to keep the install as easy as reasonably possible. He would love wireless cameras, but if those are truly lousy, wired can be done. The attic is small and cramped IIRC, but if it comes to it we could route things through there.

I need to keep the system as easy to use as possible, as neither of them are terribly tech savvy.
Setting up a full wired high quality system is certainly going to be more work. The main place you "pay" for cheaper cameras is in the night vision; anyone can do good day vision at this point. Without someone independently evaluating them all, I've got no idea how to tell the differences though (various video samples should be out there, just takes time to find them). I was not paying a sub or allowing them free access to my network, so all Amazon/Google stuff was off the table to begin with, when I was looking at systems.

You aren't strictly required to have a DVR with any of the top cameras either, as they all have SD card slots and their own free software to read them from any computer on the network. The issue is that SD cards are less dependable as they are not made for constant read/write like a Purple hard drive. Which means all SD cards in constantly recording cameras will eventually get more and more corrupted sectors (dash cams run into this problem somewhat often).

I have firewall blocks on my cameras/DVR and then make exceptions for accessing them on my computer, but you don't need to do that. If you are contemplating Wyze or any internet connected system, then you will be giving Amazon total access to your sister's network, and (imo) there is little difference in letting Amazon/Google/Shaq have access vs letting CCP have access.

Amazon and Google do not need your permission to hand over video to police or to look at it for "research" purposes. If CCP were to take data, it would most likely be used to train it's AI to identify objects/people (at this point, at least; if a war over Taiwan starts, who know). The Chinese cameras already come with advanced AI for movement, face, and licenses plate tracking, but you need to set it up in the software (their own or Blue Iris), to take advantage of it.

A hole in security is still a hole in security, and any of them could inadvertently put a flaw in one of their updates and compromise the system. It's also why I isolate all smart home equipment from the internet or from the rest of the network, depending on the item (not that I have many).

I have not used the Blue Iris software but some of the dudes on IPCamTalk are rather gray in the hair, I think (so it cant be that hard, right?). One dude that does reviews, who makes videos trying to evaluate the night quality by walking around to show ghosting and day quality by holding up posters/driving past, has to be in his 70s or 80s. Here is one of his reviews, still at the top of the Dahua sub forum: LINK (linked the first one I saw, the videos are down the page a bit).

Tip on a fast and dirty way to figure out where to put cameras for full coverage:
Almost all cameras are going to have 90+ degree field of view (most are going to be 110+ degrees), unless you get specialty ones to zoom into an area. So, stand under the place you are thinking of mounting it, hold your arms out and make a rough 90 degree V in front of you, then you have roughly what that camera is going to see. A high security system needs each camera to be in view of at least 1 other camera, but you probably don't need that in a residential situation.​

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I think a lot of the cameras are essentially the same.

I have a Revo America system, I bought 6 cameras and a TB of HD space, it's expandable up to 8, so I grabbed some extras as well. It's not super expensive, seems to be the same cameras/quality that many other companies use, and the app is basically the same as well.

Wired is absolutely the way to go. I pulled all mine thru the attic. One day of pain in the ass to always be set up forever.

Shit seems to be the same as everyone else I see with cameras, and seems to cost less. So, /shrug. I've got no complaints with mine. I even had one camera have no night vision and they took it back no problem and sent me another for free

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The basic Arlo plan was $4 per camera or $13 for unlimited. They do want to cover the entire exterior, so that might no be a bad option.
do they have doorbell cam yet? one note is that it's a lot easier to have the same doorbell cam manufacturer as your security cams cuz they'll just use the same app, it's silly and annoying to have separate apps for just the doorbell and security system, it's also why i got a wyze doorbell cam, even tho i already had a newer 2k cam (cuz i'm all on wyze now)

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
do they have doorbell cam yet? one note is that it's a lot easier to have the same doorbell cam manufacturer as your security cams cuz they'll just use the same app, it's silly and annoying to have separate apps for just the doorbell and security system, it's also why i got a wyze doorbell cam, even tho i already had a newer 2k cam (cuz i'm all on wyze now)

Nope, they don't have any sort of doorbell system. I'll have to find out if that's something they're interested in.

Looking like Wyze is moving to the top of the list of things to look at, especially if it's deadass simple.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Nope, they don't have any sort of doorbell system. I'll have to find out if that's something they're interested in.

Looking like Wyze is moving to the top of the list of things to look at, especially if it's deadass simple.
it's a no brainer to get a doorbell cam, it's like the most important one, i mean if theyre intent on getting a security system anyway...

no one buys a fucking hamburger... you gonna eat a cow, get a cheeseburger

but of course, that can be added on at a later date, and would require some amount of "handyman"

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've been lazy about buying a doorbell cam just because I have no idea what home cameras I want. Buying a Ring seems like a waste if the rest of the system doesn't play together.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I just got the Wyze pro. I love it. Pretty much plug-and-play. The only drawback is if you don't know how to breathe, then it might be too hard to set up and view it when you want.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

I think a lot of the cameras are essentially the same.

I have a Revo America system, I bought 6 cameras and a TB of HD space, it's expandable up to 8, so I grabbed some extras as well. It's not super expensive, seems to be the same cameras/quality that many other companies use, and the app is basically the same as well.

Wired is absolutely the way to go. I pulled all mine thru the attic. One day of pain in the ass to always be set up forever.

Shit seems to be the same as everyone else I see with cameras, and seems to cost less. So, /shrug. I've got no complaints with mine. I even had one camera have no night vision and they took it back no problem and sent me another for free
Some shits the same, some isn't. It's like saying a Pentium 3 is the same as a Pentium 7.

Cameras are all about the chip set, the lens, and AI system. How much difference all that makes depends on the use. The cheaper "American" cameras that Amazon and Google put out are generations behind, but they are still Chinese. They put most of their money in making them easy to use at the cost of using older tech and worse AI. Most also rely on a subscription model, which means they can make the upfront cost even lower.

The following is a video where he compares night time view of a bunch of cameras, where you can see the difference. Much of that is the chipset, but it also has a bit to do with how far the lens is from the chip (design of the camera). Time stamped to night time test; you can go back for day, if you want. There may be some loss, if your monitor is 1080.

Those cameras are the latest and greatest, you can go back to some older models from those brands he tested and get the "good enough," where cost and benefit align more to your needs. Most criminals are going to stand still and look around while they creep up on your house, so that kinda widens the range on what is good enough.

I think the cameras like Ring and Wyze are using 15+ year old chip sets, but without digging into the tech side again, I cant say for certain. I got more into that side of things when I was looking at various dash cams, but that was years ago, at this point too.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Burns

Looking through the above guys videos for some older 1440 or 1080 night time tests, here instead, is his video on some of the wireless options (no wyze, unfortunately):

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went ahead and ordered the Reolink WiFi doorbell since we don't have CAT5/6 to that and I'm not sure about drilling in there to run it. Existing doorbell works so I feel like tapping in to that would be easiest. Have a couple of ideas for running equipment in the house, but none of those locations have a power drop in them so I'd need to get a plug in there... And of course now it is getting to be 100 degrees. Perfect time to consider doing an attic project.

• 1Worf

Burns

Went ahead and ordered the Reolink WiFi doorbell since we don't have CAT5/6 to that and I'm not sure about drilling in there to run it. Existing doorbell works so I feel like tapping in to that would be easiest. Have a couple of ideas for running equipment in the house, but none of those locations have a power drop in them so I'd need to get a plug in there... And of course now it is getting to be 100 degrees. Perfect time to consider doing an attic project.
With PoE cameras there is no need for a separate power connection, you only need to run a Cat6 line from a PoE capable switch; which most people put close to their router. Monoprices sells good quality Cat6, that has the plugs already on it, at various lengths; so its only a matter of wrapping up the plugs to protect them, and pulling them through the attic.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
With PoE cameras there is no need for a separate power connection, you only need to run a Cat6 line from a PoE capable switch; which most people put close to their router. Monoprices sells good quality Cat6, that has the plugs already on it, at various lengths; so its only a matter of wrapping up the plugs to protect them, and pulling them through the attic.

I was just saying that I'm not going to be bothered running a CAT6 through the brick by my door where the existing doorbell is or routing a new line to a new doorbell location. I'll make do with the WiFi doorbell now and run PoE later to cameras. Just haven't gone up in to the attic or in the basement to try and identify where it may be running. The doorbell that is. I'm 100% taking the lazy road to dip my toe in, here.

Burns

I was just saying that I'm not going to be bothered running a CAT6 through the brick by my door where the existing doorbell is or routing a new line to a new doorbell location. I'll make do with the WiFi doorbell now and run PoE later to cameras. Just haven't gone up in to the attic or in the basement to try and identify where it may be running. The doorbell that is. I'm 100% taking the lazy road to dip my toe in, here.
Heh, I reread it a few times now and I guess my point of confusion comes with why you would need to go in the attic for the doorbell cam.

It looks like the Reolink doorbell cam is a really easy install (like 10 minutes to get it running). It is designed so you just have to connect it to your existing doorbell wires, that already have power (if the doorbell is working right now, it has enough power for the camera). No need to go up into the attic.

Also, yea, trying to run PoE for a doorbell camera is way too difficult unless it gets put there when the house it being built. The Wifi ones are the way to go.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Heh, I reread it a few times now and I guess my point of confusion comes with why you would need to go in the attic for the doorbell cam.

It looks like the Reolink doorbell cam is a really easy install (like 10 minutes to get it running). It is designed so you just have to connect it to your existing doorbell wires, that already have power (if the doorbell is working right now, it has enough power for the camera). No need to go up into the attic.

Also, yea, trying to run PoE for a doorbell camera is way too difficult unless it gets put there when the house it being built. The Wifi ones are the way to go.

For the wifi stuff, are they on battery power or wired into the house for power?