Home Improvement

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Gave the go ahead to a company today to install a home generator. Settled on a Kohler after reviewing everything we got back on the bids.

1. $20k for either a Generac or a Briggs. They were trying to push Briggs bc they had a 10-year all inclusive warranty and Generac is a 5-year limited. This is the same company that quoted me $1k to add an outlet to my closet. Their “Generator” cost was $15k which included the install and pad, then the gas additional costs of $1900 for extension kits bc my panel is 50’ from generator. Plus an additional $1600 to relocate my existing box bc they said the ATS wouldn’t fit in the current spot. Plus taxes brought it up to $20k.

2. $12k for a Generac. They quoted this sight unseen only using Google Earth. Gave me a little hesitation just because there are a few variables I tried to explain to him. Nice guy but he was just like “nope that covers everything.” He also said they could go Briggs and get the 10-year but it would be an additional $1k. Too many unknowns for me.

3. $13.6k for the Kohler. Guy came out to the house, walked it with me and said he’d have no problem locating it where I wanted. He also said they could uplift the warranty to 10-year. He included the plumbing for gas line. Felt more comfortable here since he’s seen everything and was willing to work with my want.

The other two companies were pretty hardline about installing it directly adjacent to my gas main which I didn’t prefer since that’s on the side of the house exposed to everything. Granted, I don’t live in a bad neighborhood or anything, but I still didn’t want it facing out to the world.

22kW. I’m fine with Kohler. I’ve used Generac for 20 years in public safety settings for communication sites and dispatch sites. But for my home, on the “non-commercial” side, I’m not sure I care between all three.
Do you live someplace you need this? I have a gentran and inlet but never bothered. I maybe lose power an hour or two total a year due to someone hitting a pole or transformer exploding. I haven't even splurged for a cheapo.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Do you live someplace you need this? I have a gentran and inlet but never bothered. I maybe lose power an hour or two total a year due to someone hitting a pole or transformer exploding. I haven't even splurged for a cheapo.

Here in Little Rock we're pretty susceptible to ice storms, not so much snow, and tornados. We have, in recent times, lost power for days to over a week at a time due to weather events. The chances of it occurring are always slim, but it does and has happened. I'm probably being over protective but the main thing is that we have our 2nd baby due in September and I don't want to be stuck here with a 3 month old and a 5 year old with no power. It is a combination of being proactive and reactive. I'm 100% work from home with my consulting business and she's here 90% of the time... so that maybe plays in to it a bit, but not really as much.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Here in Little Rock we're pretty susceptible to ice storms, not so much snow, and tornados. We have, in recent times, lost power for days to over a week at a time due to weather events. The chances of it occurring are always slim, but it does and has happened. I'm probably being over protective but the main thing is that we have our 2nd baby due in September and I don't want to be stuck here with a 3 month old and a 5 year old with no power. It is a combination of being proactive and reactive. I'm 100% work from home with my consulting business and she's here 90% of the time... so that maybe plays in to it a bit, but not really as much.
Ah gotcha yea that makes more sense. Good to get some prices though I've thought about it a little bit but I'll be lazy and wait until a once per century storm and then complain after.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Gave the go ahead to a company today to install a home generator. Settled on a Kohler after reviewing everything we got back on the bids.

1. $20k for either a Generac or a Briggs. They were trying to push Briggs bc they had a 10-year all inclusive warranty and Generac is a 5-year limited. This is the same company that quoted me $1k to add an outlet to my closet. Their “Generator” cost was $15k which included the install and pad, then the gas additional costs of $1900 for extension kits bc my panel is 50’ from generator. Plus an additional $1600 to relocate my existing box bc they said the ATS wouldn’t fit in the current spot. Plus taxes brought it up to $20k.

2. $12k for a Generac. They quoted this sight unseen only using Google Earth. Gave me a little hesitation just because there are a few variables I tried to explain to him. Nice guy but he was just like “nope that covers everything.” He also said they could go Briggs and get the 10-year but it would be an additional $1k. Too many unknowns for me.

3. $13.6k for the Kohler. Guy came out to the house, walked it with me and said he’d have no problem locating it where I wanted. He also said they could uplift the warranty to 10-year. He included the plumbing for gas line. Felt more comfortable here since he’s seen everything and was willing to work with my want.

The other two companies were pretty hardline about installing it directly adjacent to my gas main which I didn’t prefer since that’s on the side of the house exposed to everything. Granted, I don’t live in a bad neighborhood or anything, but I still didn’t want it facing out to the world.

22kW. I’m fine with Kohler. I’ve used Generac for 20 years in public safety settings for communication sites and dispatch sites. But for my home, on the “non-commercial” side, I’m not sure I care between all three.
Just got one earlier this year. Had a 12 hour outage 2 days before the final install and nothing since. One semi-regret is they ran the black pipe and electrical along the house above ground. Would have looked a lot cleaner buried. Should have known since the guy who came out didn't have any concerns about doing the install in the dead of winter and they never consulted miss dig. Not a huge deal, it's not really a major focal point, but it bugs me a little when I mow the lawn.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I have a small bonus half bath nestled between two walls with pocket doors. The TP holder is currently on the back wall behind the toilet because it's the one without clearance issues for most drywall anchors. Any thoughts on anchor options to mount it on the pocket door side wall instead? I reckon I have maybe half or 3/4 inch clearance behind the drywall but practically a bit less because pocket doors drift a little bit in motion.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a small bonus half bath nestled between two walls with pocket doors. The TP holder is currently on the back wall behind the toilet because it's the one without clearance issues for most drywall anchors. Any thoughts on anchor options to mount it on the pocket door side wall instead? I reckon I have maybe half or 3/4 inch clearance behind the drywall but practically a bit less because pocket doors drift a little bit in motion.
tp stand?
64336bf6a0881c3876242127dfc69402.png

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
I replaced my AC/Furnace at the end of last year. Cost me $7700. Its a 3 ton Amana unit, seer 14

1687522675575.png

1687522731413.png

1687522630330.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
No room unfortunately

3m has a wall sticky w/ adhesive for ppl who can't drill into the wall
72e0f11755d0a0cd95d253e9c5097654.png
If the sticky isn’t palatable, I’d think a properly sized toggle bolt would clear a half inch.
Edit: might want to put some thread locker on to make sure it won’t back out, and of course you’ll have to cut the bolt to length, but I don’t see why this wouldn’t work:

IMG_5804.jpeg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If the sticky isn’t palatable, I’d think a properly sized toggle bolt would clear a half inch
amazon has a bunch of cheap tp sticky sets, but i wouldn't trust amazon sticky tape to not be non marring, i guess you can buy it as cheap hardware and use real 3m tape
6e385f1a86989228935d03fc7f1a651d.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If the sticky isn’t palatable, I’d think a properly sized toggle bolt would clear a half inch.
Edit: might want to put some thread locker on to make sure it won’t back out, and of course you’ll have to cut the bolt to length, but I don’t see why this wouldn’t work:

View attachment 479403
Yea was thinking about those new snap offs, good call, just may need to cut or get right sized bolts.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I think what I like about the last 2 pics is that there's family actually using the yard in both.

Here it seems like people want a nice backyard to use, but then they almost never go outside. Like their backyards are completely abandoned 363 days a year.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I think what I like about the last 2 pics is that there's family actually using the yard in both.

Here it seems like people want a nice backyard to use, but then they almost never go outside. Like their backyards are completely abandoned 363 days a year.
Now I know what Lanx and Big P feel like when people post scantily clad women and all they can see are the trim and finish of the building...

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user