Home Improvement

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
just use packaging tape
I went to visit this house because I thought I could get it for a steal - but nope. The shit I saw in there reminds me of that video. A complete DIY remodeling of a house. Took me a minute to find it because its actually in "Pending" now - they wouldnt accept my offer for 40k less, but someone else seems to have stepped in. Laughable.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I went to visit this house because I thought I could get it for a steal - but nope. The shit I saw in there reminds me of that video. A complete DIY remodeling of a house. Took me a minute to find it because its actually in "Pending" now - they wouldnt accept my offer for 40k less, but someone else seems to have stepped in. Laughable.
did you see this?
washer on top of 4 upside down buckets
472662776ad9c4a48b9283366890a19d.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
just use packaging tape
I worked as a weekend security guard in a warehouse when I was in college. It closed at 2 pm on Saturday and my shift was noon to midnight Saturday and Sunday so I was all alone in there for 22 hours every weekend with absolutely nothing to do. One night I got into a rage playing space invaders on my calculator and karate kicked a hole in the sheet rock behind the security desk. I put white tape over the hole, rubbed some dirt on it to match the rest of the wall, and it stayed like that for at least 2 years and no one ever asked about it.

• 3Worf
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Going very wrong. All the work that's done looks like shite.
yea you can tell some bitch had a "theme" for the kitchen w/ new shit and the shaker style cabs

but theyre all out of alignment
879a8b6873f55f4d799652561ca3760f.png

like this is the kind of fitment you expect from a tesla or ford car

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
just use packaging tape
Any mother fucker patches a hole in drywall with packing tape in my house will be going through a window. Which I will then cover with cardboard and tape until it can be properly replaced.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
When we moved into my current house, the toilet paper holder in one bathroom was too narrow, it wouldn't fit any roll. My wife bought one of those single sided ones. When installing I found out why it was so narrow, ths previous asshole owners were covering up a hole in the drywall. I really didn't feel like patching, ended up buying these:

More or less it's a glorified version of packing tape, but I was pretty happy with the results. If I'm shining a flashlight and looking really closely I can make out the patch, but it's not a big deal since it's covered up by the toilet paper roll now.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
When we moved into my current house, the toilet paper holder in one bathroom was too narrow, it wouldn't fit any roll. My wife bought one of those single sided ones. When installing I found out why it was so narrow, ths previous asshole owners were covering up a hole in the drywall. I really didn't feel like patching, ended up buying these:

More or less it's a glorified version of packing tape, but I was pretty happy with the results. If I'm shining a flashlight and looking really closely I can make out the patch, but it's not a big deal since it's covered up by the toilet paper roll now.
ok-then-um.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I finally tried to use my airless today to prime the ceiling I'm redoing. Everything came out fine except over the mini split unit where I brought the wand too close to the ceiling to get above it and ruined a small section. I tried to wipe some excess primer off after about 15 minutes when I noticed it and it took some flakes of the dried mud with it, it appears.

So now I have to wait for that to cure a bit and sand it down and touch it up. Unfortunately I found about 10 other little nicks I missed but can see after priming. I realize it's only visible with bright light on them but figure I might as well touch them all up since I'm going to have to touch up prime some areas anyway.

Overall I'm a little bit disappointed with the airless, not so much because of mistakes but the setup and cleaning time mean that it's notb really worth it on week nights, I just can't get it to dry and touch up and do multiple coats and sand between and all that, was outside cleaning all the equipment in the dark. Guess I'll do touch up this week then hit it up for prime 2 and ceiling paint this weekend.

• 2Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
So I finally tried to use my airless today to prime the ceiling I'm redoing. Everything came out fine except over the mini split unit where I brought the wand too close to the ceiling to get above it and ruined a small section. I tried to wipe some excess primer off after about 15 minutes when I noticed it and it took some flakes of the dried mud with it, it appears.

So now I have to wait for that to cure a bit and sand it down and touch it up. Unfortunately I found about 10 other little nicks I missed but can see after priming. I realize it's only visible with bright light on them but figure I might as well touch them all up since I'm going to have to touch up prime some areas anyway.

Overall I'm a little bit disappointed with the airless, not so much because of mistakes but the setup and cleaning time mean that it's notb really worth it on week nights, I just can't get it to dry and touch up and do multiple coats and sand between and all that, was outside cleaning all the equipment in the dark. Guess I'll do touch up this week then hit it up for prime 2 and ceiling paint this weekend.

It's worth doing the fixes now, otherwise every time you walk in the room you'll see them.

And as for the sprayer, yeah. Totally not worth it for doing a ceiling or a room. When I'm doing my whole house exterior it's worth it. But not for usual indoor jobs. You can get just as good a finish with a good roller and some experience.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's worth doing the fixes now, otherwise every time you walk in the room you'll see them.

And as for the sprayer, yeah. Totally not worth it for doing a ceiling or a room. When I'm doing my whole house exterior it's worth it. But not for usual indoor jobs. You can get just as good a finish with a good roller and some experience.
yea i agree the cleanup is attrocious on the graco i have, i plan to use this for touchups
42e964950756892a181f9c5827de1f90.png

now that i made a 11gallon tank i should be starved for air and this clean up looks easy

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
yea i agree the cleanup is attrocious on the graco i have, i plan to use this for touchups

now that i made a 11gallon tank i should be starved for air and this clean up looks easy

Yeah, I will still use a roller. Especially for touch ups. Overspray is crap, and I use a roller until a job is done (put it in a bag in the fridge between coats), and then throw it away. Easy clean up, not expensive, quick setup, minimal equipment needed. I'm just not a sprayer guy.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

The problem with HVLPs is you need the right compressor that handles the actual volume of air needed to run the gun right. Otherwise I'd probably have one of those too...

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah, I will still use a roller. Especially for touch ups. Overspray is crap, and I use a roller until a job is done (put it in a bag in the fridge between coats), and then throw it away. Easy clean up, not expensive, quick setup, minimal equipment needed. I'm just not a sprayer guy.
Have you considered that you could have all the work of a roller with the clean up of an airless sprayer??

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I still like my Graco for interior jobs. Just not really small ones. The air spray surface just looks so much better than a rollers surface does, imo. The bad part, as you found out - is repairing a section is a pain in the ass cause any discrepancies stand out like a sore thumb.

Still though - air sprayer, even if you dont use it at home, earns its keep at any rental property you may have.